Thu, Sep 19, 3:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Way OT: Win XP problem

DrunkMonkey ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 10:37 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:26 PM

I know this isn't really the best place to ask, but I remember some of you had problems first upgrading to Win XP Pro. I've had to reinstall a couple of times now. First time upgraded from 98 and started getting an error message. Found out it was a problem that sometimes came up doing an upgrade. This time did full install of XP and now it craps out telling me that my Windows/System folder is hosed. Is this a problem anyone else had in the XP move? I suppose it could be an HD problem instead of XP, but I really don't know. Any ideas? Here's the system specs: AMD Athlon 2800+ cpu 1 Gig memory 120 Gig Maxtor HD

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 10:49 AM

I have XP Pro and nary a problem AMD 3500+ 1 GIG You say you did a "full install" is that the same as this: I ALWAYS do a clean install. That means I completely initialize the hard drive, install Windows XP Pro, then institue any updates from Bill. Obviously, if your XP Pro disc is older, be sure you are on SR2. ::::: Opera :::::

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 11:18 AM

And be certain to initialize the harddrive as NTFS! Anything else is useless...

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 11:37 AM

You can create a new system partition during setup (you'll probably have to delete older partitions first). That's the way I always install XP - delete old system partition, create a new one, full (not quick) NTFS format. That'll make sure any crap from previous OS installations is removed.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 1:16 PM

Agreed, svdl. That's basically what I meant. :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 1:44 PM

BACKUP 1ST!..you'll be glad you did..or..uh..did you?

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bobcat574 ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 4:28 PM

NTFS is a good file structure, but remember that the format is a one way street. Once you format to ntfs, you can't go back to fat32, which could cause headaches if you decide to revert to an older OS. My recomendations are this. 1. Back up any data you want to keep. 2. Use and old windows 98/ME boot disk, and partition the hard drice into one primary partition and one extended partition. I set aside roughly 1/3 of the total disk space for the primary partition. 3 Keep the primary partition fat32, (backwards compatability) and install windows to that partition. 4.When you have xp installed, use the disk management snap-in (right click my computer and select manage), and format the extended partition to NTFS. (Use the NTFS volume to store programs and data. That way, if you suffer from a system failure and have to reformat your c drive, all you loose is your windows info.)

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 7:18 PM

NTFS gives you some added security features on files and folders, and can support larger disks..but yeah, it's a one-way trip. Usually isn't too much trouble, as far as I've seen.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 11:23 PM

I put my systems behind a firewall during Windows installs until they are completely patched using Windows Update. Then I put anti-virus on them and no troubles.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

galactron22 ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2005 at 7:58 AM

Here's a very simple solution...wipe your drive completely. this will get rid of anything hindering the installation and operating of the OS. When you first install XP it should tell you what and how many partitions you have, also this same screen allows you to make new partitions. Delete the old ones format your HD and make new ones. this should solve your problems. PS: if you have an MS DOS disk use it. after your PC starts off this disk type, slate 1 on the command prompt, this will erase the drive completelty and leave it ready for a fresh install, plus it gets rid of half of the steps above.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

DrunkMonkey ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2005 at 8:38 AM

D'oh! I forgot to repartition etc. and installed on top of the old installation. I had a feeling it was some shortcut like that. I was just so hacked off at having to do a reinstall I didn't think it through at the time. Hopefully that's all it was. Thanks all.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.