Sat, Sep 21, 2:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: I need some advice for texturing...

songkann ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 5:27 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

file_291970.jpg

I want to use one texture (a gradient texture) onto a group of same objects (squares) to get a gradient effect on the squares. Please take a look at the picture.

Can I do that in a minimum of steps or do I have to create a new texture for each square to get a gradient effect?

Thanks for answering.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 5:36 AM

Do you want the gradient accross all the squares, or do you want the complete gradient on every square? Both is possible. But to get the gradient accross all squares, the first thing I would think of, is to combine them in one objec. I think, it would also matter if you have plug-ins like Shader Ops, or Shoestring Shaders.

songkann ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 6:25 AM

Hello, Yes, I want the gradient across all the squares.

StealthWorks ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 7:13 AM

Not exactly what you are looking for but couldn't you just use one large square, apply t he gradient accross it and then use a bump map to simulate te individual squares?

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 7:14 AM

Oops. I did a test render, but did not save the file while closing Carrara. I think the best method is to do as I do: 1. Select al squares 2. Delete them 3. Insert new Spline Object 4. Draw small square 5. Copy square 6. Paste square 7. Move square next to original square 8. Select both squares 9. Copy 10. Paste 11. Select all squares 12. Copy 13. Paste ... repeat until you filled the whole grid with squares. 14. Select the front point of the extrusion path on the right side 15. Go to 'Sections' -> create 16. Go to the 'Cross Section' part in the right drawer bar 17. Click 'front bevel' 18. Voila. The same pattern, but now you can use one shader accross the whole thing. I used an 'add' operator in the shader part of a 'gradient' color, and two mixers (one with a horizontal and one with a vertical gradient)(?)(I did not save the document...). But the colors did not exactly match your gradient above. You can always use a texture map to get the exact gradient on there. The main thing is the other way of moddeling the squares. Good luck!

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 7:15 AM

file_291971.jpg

Oops. And the pic...

songkann ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 9:09 AM

Thank you! Thank you! And... THANK YOU! :)

songkann ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2005 at 9:27 AM

Errr... Could you please explain to me this part: I used an 'add' operator in the shader part of a 'gradient' color, and two mixers (one with a horizontal and one with a vertical gradient) If I could have a screen shot, that'd be great. Thanks!

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2005 at 11:52 AM

file_291972.jpg

Okay. I tried to re-do it...

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2005 at 11:53 AM

file_291973.jpg

And this is the result of the above.

songkann ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 4:35 AM

Thank you, Hoofdcommissaris, for your help. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.