Fri, Sep 20, 4:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Realism + Making Textures

Blind_Spider ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 11:34 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:33 AM

I just got a tablet last Saturday, and my god, it's alot easier to make lifelike looking hair. But I'm also trying to get an overall realistic effect. I've looked at some tutorials, and they're no help. I'd appreciate some tips! Thanks! Nick

Great Bizarro ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 12:38 PM

What tablet did you get. I would like to purchase one for the PC, any suggestions?

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 3:12 PM

Great Bizarro, I'm using a Wacom Graphire, and so far I've been very satisfied with it. It's the cheapest Wacom model, I believe, but it's more than enough if you only want it for a hobby. I can really recommend it :) (and Wacom isn't even paying me for doing this LOL)

kennect ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 4:15 PM

The best part about the Wacom tablets is the fact they now offer one at a price that isn't too expsensive...I have had mine for several years now and paid around 250.00 for it...The quivalent of my tablet today is priced right around 100.00...A definite must for anyone doing any type of artwork whether it be 2d or 3d....In fact now that I think about it I have had this one for over four years now and I have never had any problem with it....

Blind_Spider ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 9:54 PM

I bought a Graphire, which was 149.85 I believe... I will NEVER go back to a mouse. A 4X5 was more than good enough for me, but I'm also thinking of buying a larger one in a year or so. To buy a tablet you gotta think what you're going to use if for. Size is your preference. (hehehe) Anyways, thanks for the help guys, and good luck with your purchase.

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 5:23 AM

I have a graphire, no 2 one on each computer, they cost $99.00 at the Compusa and Fry stores here in California. They are wonderful and work well. I looked at a bigger tabelt but I don't have a bigger space to put it in, anyway this graphire works just great and I wonder what extra you get with the bigger bulkier version anyway. It looked to me that there were some different pens but the rest of the features were about the same but the drawing area was a little bigger and the whole tablet was a lot bigger...

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 8:09 AM

I have a 6 x 8 Intuos (serial--bought before USB was available) and love it--other than the fact I'm having problems with keeping the (updated) drive enabled in ME G. My understanding of needing a larger size would be primarily if you are going to 'trace' on it under the clear vinyl. The larger you go, the more your arm will have to move to cover the size of the screen--I don't think I would even consider anything larger than 6 x 8. Each corner of your screen will be the corner of your tablet, don't forget--no matter what size the tablet. Diane Diane

Blind_Spider ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 8:12 AM

I think a 6X8 would be good to have... Right now I'm VERY happy with my 4X5... If you're starting out, perfect tablet...

mondoxjake ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 1:01 PM

Don't know anything about the brand and prob has limited functions, but buy.com has a Pablo 6x8" tablet listed at $89.00. Would be curious if anyone reading this post is familiar with it??

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 5:00 PM

I use both the Graphire and the Intuos daily -- the first at home and the second at work. The advantages of the Intuos are not enough for the average computer artist to justify buying it for themselves. Here's what the Graphire is lacking: 2048 levels of sensitivity (G has 1024 -- you'll never know the difference) Tip tilt awareness (who cares?) Row of programmable buttons (which don't work reliably) Big size (got me there, pardner, but I think it was intentional that the tablet's the size of a big mousepad) Buy the Graphire. It should have come stock with all new Macs.

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 5:14 PM

I had nothing but problems with the Pablo one. It's sitting under a heap of other non-functional equipment. Even uninstalling the S.O.B. is a nightmare. Yeah, love those registry edits to properly uninstall basic drivers!

mondoxjake ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 6:33 PM

..thanks for feedback onthe Pablo, Crescent..will go the extra $10. at buy.com for the 4x5 Graphire.

voodooninjax ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 10:54 PM

I just bought a very slightly used Wacom Penpal tablet for $45 and I am in love with it. It's 4x5, which is all anyone needs. the level of realism in my tex's has skyrocketed.

tbsro ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2001 at 6:19 PM

Please, please, please DO NOT buy a Pablo! NO NO NO! Whatever you do don't buy this! It's a cheap piece of junk made for kids, but I wouldn't even curse my children with it, personally. It cost me the same as my Graphire, but my Graphire is a wonderful piece of work, whereas my Pablo was absolutely nothing but a pain in the butt. The Pablo pen has a short, bulky cord whereas the Graphire pen is cordless. The Pablo pad had some nasty plastic dot on the middle of the pad which often screwed up my art, but the Graphire's pad is a smooth as silk. The Pablo was jerky and would often pause and then continue drawing even after I picked up the pen. I thought it was a problem with my computer until I bought my Graphire and since then I've only had that problem maybe twice and it was when I was running too many apps at once. The Pablo would do it with a fresh boot and nothing running but my pain program. The Graphire also came with lots of very useful software, notably Painter Classic and PenTools, which are wonderful! I HIGHLY recommend the Wacom Graphire. At $99 it's an unbelieveable value. And the Pablo is sitting around collecting dust until some day when I make a bitter enemy to give it to. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.