Sat, Oct 5, 7:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Question about a tut.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 2:18 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 5:35 AM

I have recently been doing a tut on creating text that looks like the God of War font from the game. Everything is going good except for the last part. rouphly the tut is as follows. write text apply layer styles to creat a 3d looking gold metalic text. copy text layer and remove the layer styles from it then invert and switch blending option to overlay. next is where i am lost. You create a new layer over the white text layer and do a cloud, differance cloud, grain, noise. the result is supposed to be a dirty, gritty apperance to the text but I think the author left out a step. What I am left with is the texture abouve everything else and not applyed to the text. How do I apply the grainy texture to the text? any ideas?

Bakkti ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 5:11 PM

Just a shot in the dark here ... Have you tried different blending modes on the texture layer? -- Jiger --

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 5:36 PM

I would try the blend mode or maybe mask it... :) retrocity

shadowrelm ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 7:27 PM

how do you mask it?

shadowrelm ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 7:36 PM

file_293501.jpg

here are the illistrations from the tut. when it gets to the last one about noise it goes into changing the background and does tell what the last step is. I have followed it throught and the texture layer just sits there. I for the life of me can't figure out how to apply tio the text and keep the color and the gradient.

tantarus ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 1:31 AM

Try to simply group it, if I`m read OK you have two text layers, so just drag effect from second text layer into the garbage, then add layer over it and add clouds, etc. and click CTRL+G. The gritty layer will squeeze into the text layer, if the result is to heavy try to lower the opacity ;) Hope this will help you ;) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

Bakkti ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 11:39 AM

Shadowrelm, where is this tutorial ? Think it would be easier to help you if we could have our own look at it in original. -- Jiger --

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 11:48 AM

thats the problem. I saved the tut a few months ago and now the site is down. I found it on Good Tutorials.com. go there and search for eroded. you hit two tuts. The one I am doing is the God Of War tut.I can email you the folder ant the tut though if you like. email me and give me your email address. I can send it right over.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 11:59 AM

here is the text from the tut in order so you can match it up with the pics uptop. Duplicate the text-layer, clear the layer-styles and press CTRL+I; Set the blending-mode to OVERLAY; Create a new layer above the white text and go to FILTER>RENDER>CLOUDS; Go to FILTER>RENDER>DIFFERENCE CLOUDS and press CTRL+F several times (aprox. 6); Go to FILTER>TEXTURE>GRAIN and add these settings; Now go to FILTER>NOISE>ADD NOISE and add these settings; Now you could also change the background or leave it be ;) See, this is where i am getting confused. He goes from adding noise to talking about the background. I would assuem that if you did everything in order then the gritty layer would simply be on the top of the text layer. but they do not blend. the gritty layer is just sitting there. I have even tried ctl-clicking the text layer to select the text and applying the effect directly to the text instead of having to creat a totaly new layer. this does work to get the grit on the text but it covers up the style effects totaly. I am left with grey and black gritty text. I am about to give up. I need this effect for a web site ai am building for a friend but I may have to choose something els.

bushi ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 12:09 PM

Attached Link: Rusty Metal Tutorial

Not the tutorial you where originally using but it looks like it is very similiar. I'm pretty sure you'd get results close to what you're looking using clouds instead of the rusty metal image. At least it'll give you some ideas to try out.

tantarus ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 1:23 PM

file_293502.jpg

Few clicks for this effect, if you like it use it ;) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

Bakkti ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2005 at 2:35 PM

email me and give me your email address. I can send it right over.<
Thanks, but no need to really.
I was just curios on how the tut was written. Unfortunately, things "drops off" in the writing process every now and then and it happends even with trade press like Computer Arts.
As far as I can see there really is a step missing at the end. Following these steps to the letter should get you to the point you're at which is not the whole way out.

Think bushi's Rusty Metal Tut will help you out.

-- Jiger --

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.