Mon, Sep 9, 10:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 4:57 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: September challenge theme

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 9:13 AM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 8:37 PM

I was talking to a friend, and he came up with a concept for a challenge that I now pass on to you. The theme is "Dignity" Hopefully should appeal to all disclipines, 2d, 3d, fractal,photography, writer etc. What you reckon?

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 2:46 PM

So no images of the cat drinking out of the toilet or the spouse in pyjamas at 2 in the afternoon and most certainly no limericks about anything? Golly, you're making this tough! ;^)

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 11 September 2005 at 1:42 AM

Ah yes but for some reason, ever since Q chucked this idea at me I have had this quote running through my head :- "He stood on his dignity" Message671422.jpg

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

kansas ( ) posted Sun, 11 September 2005 at 7:17 AM

This will really be a challenge! Gotta get my creative thinking cap on now. Marion

Angelwave ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2005 at 10:34 AM

The theme of Diginity has its challenges, like kansas, thinking cap on tight....ready set goooooooooooooo

RimRunner ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2005 at 6:41 PM

Only a few days left to get your entries in for this one. hope you've all been hard at work. :)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2005 at 7:03 PM · edited Sun, 25 September 2005 at 7:05 PM

Actually, at this very minute, I have an image being set up in Poser... but was making a run through Free Stuff to check for something.

Carolly edited to add that this has been a very bad month, very stressful all around the world, and most of the images and stories bombarding us have detailed the lack of dignity in the way we humans interact. :sigh:

Message edited on: 09/25/2005 19:05

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 2:34 PM

file_290611.JPG

Dignity In Blue

Fractals will always amaze me!

kansas ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 8:38 PM

Oh Vivian! This is perfect for this challenge. Very beautiful. I haven't come up with one yet, so may skip this month's challenge. Marion

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 11:57 PM

Thanks, Marion, I'm so glad you like it. There are still a few days left! Vivian

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2005 at 2:16 AM

oh wow! Vivian, do you have a larger version of that I could d/l for wallpaper? It's terrific. I love fractals, but have never been any good at producing them.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2005 at 2:21 AM

If I were an ice fairy, I'd be wearing that as a tiara! Stunning! I've got a ceiling leak in my computer room... it is hard to render up a dissicated desert scene with water dripping next to the mouse (and on me if I tilt my head). Living in a Victorian does have disadvantages when water runs through the walls... but at least I have walls. I'll get the image posted before deadline, but it won't have as much noodling as it too-obviously needs. Carolly

tresamie ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2005 at 2:26 PM

Hi Pam, I sent you an IM with the details, let me know if it would suit you. Vivian

quixote ( ) posted Tue, 27 September 2005 at 11:42 PM · edited Tue, 27 September 2005 at 11:43 PM

Vivian,
This is quite special.
The hand's futile defiance of the summons of destiny.
And within the gesture the simple, fragile flower of human dignity.

Quite dynamic and poignant.
Wonderful.
Thank you.
Q

Message edited on: 09/27/2005 23:43

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

RimRunner ( ) posted Wed, 28 September 2005 at 4:32 AM

Knowing that many may have been affected by all the trouble down south, if we need to extend this into a 2 month challenge, please let me know. :) Always willing to work with you guys to get the best results :) Cheers.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 28 September 2005 at 9:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1056996&Start=1&Sectionid=1&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsN

Hey, at least the stork didn't drop him on his head! My entry is posted to the Poser gallery this time. After years of rendering at 100mm, I realized that there are uses for the wider angles. :)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 28 September 2005 at 9:34 PM

Let's see if we can drum up more entries with a spot of advertisement. October is such a cool month for themes, that it would be a shame to conflate them. Carolly

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 3:25 AM · edited Fri, 30 September 2005 at 3:26 AM

file_290612.JPG

Running out of time. This didn't work out the way I wanted it to, but I shall post it anyway.

Using a Bob Dylan song as inspiration. Song called "dignity",
Here is the last verse :-

So many roads, so much at stake
So many dead ends, I'm at the edge of the lake
Sometimes I wonder what it's gonna take
To find dignity.

Message edited on: 09/30/2005 03:26

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2005 at 4:23 PM

We have a problem. Those of us who enter are also the most likely to vote... and we can't vote for ourselves. Why don't we declare us ALL winners for being able to come up with something in this extremely difficult time? I hesitate to continue the theme for another month, given that October is rife with theme possibilities (shame to waste them) and that there is no likelyhood that the news this month will be any more dignified (hurricane season is not over, the international scene is grim, and who even wants to think about politics). Why don't we instead vote on the theme for October? We can nominate a couple of ideas, post a list of nominations, and then vote. Example: "The Last Word" (graveyard markers and memorials) "A Murder of Crows" (groupings of critters with a dark slant) "Masquerade" or "Deguise de Limit" (faces and masks and illusions) If we can add a few more ideas to the list, and vote, we can get going on something for the season. :)= Carolly

anniemation ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2005 at 4:16 PM · edited Mon, 03 October 2005 at 4:17 PM

file_290613.JPG

ummm . . . simply in the interest of participating :) Dignity. Jeff the Cat. Hope I'm not too late and if I am, that's OK too.

Message edited on: 10/03/2005 16:17

tresamie ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2005 at 10:39 PM · edited Tue, 04 October 2005 at 10:40 PM

I agree, Carolly, we are all winners! Maybe we should just set up the October challenge as you said. We could just call it 'Spooky' or something, and invite everyone to go their own way. :) I really enjoyed everyone's submissions for this month, it's so interesting to see how the artistic mind uses software as a tool to create!

Message edited on: 10/04/2005 22:40

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2005 at 12:37 AM

I sent this to RimRunner a couple days ago, since anniemation's entry indicated the possibility to continue with the theme, however with Rendo being out-of-service (and still extremely slow), he probably couldn't get in to read his mail. Since the monthly challenge is an "official" challenge, the mod really ought to be the one to call for an extension or a switch... unless we the community took action first. If we did, my preference would be to vote on a theme... I actually kind of like "spooky" despite its vagueness: it is gentler than the horror or frightful themes proposed elsewhere. You don't need buckets of blood to get a yelp in the middle of the night... sometimes a cat's whisker on the back on the knees will do the trick! ;^) [I was reading in bed and hadn't notied Skrogg slipping under the covers to find a nice cat-sized tent... and we all know how they check for size.] ************************** Archive of message sent to RimRunner: RimRunner, I've got an idea. ;) http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2403346 Why don't we have BOTH solutions? 1) Extend the "dignity" theme until the end of the month (although with 4 entries, voting is now possible) and have that winner choose the next month's theme as usual. 2) And have a second special challenge for the season. Nominations open until 10/5 for theme, voting until the 8th, and then we still have 3 weeks to do something. That way, those of us who have entered the challenge can keep busy. :) Carolly

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 7:57 PM

Hey folks.. with the outage and everything else going on, I haven't been able to get in here... We do have enough items to do a quick vote, or.. as some of the suggestions, go with a "everyone wins" and get started on October. Your call. Quick vote on how you want to handle it and we'll get moving along before we run out of time to get anything done. ;) Will check on this Saturday morning and see where we're at.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 8:35 PM

I vote for everyone is a winner. The "dignity" has been well served by all contestants. I personally would hate to choose to exclude anyone by voting. Good going, everyone! You showed imagination and grace and, dare I say it, dignity illustrating the theme.

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 1:59 AM

Definately everyone wins and start an October theme. And I agree with both Vivian and Carolly that "Spooky" is a great theme for a challenge.........lots of ways to interpret that one. I do apologise for setting such a difficult challenge for September. It was a silly thing to do when we are trying to get this arena to be more of a mainstream one. Pam

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 4:19 AM

Pam, There was no way you could have known what sort of month September was going to turn into world-wide. We plan for summer to be silly and the holidays to be emotional (look at the movie release dates), but sometimes a spanner gets tossed into the river rather than over it. (How's THAT for a mangled metaphor?) Besides, what is a challenge if it is too easy? I don't enter any of these events with a thought of winning, but of creating an image worth tucking into my gallery... and if I have to fight with the software, the true victory is getting it done. Right now I'm arguing with P6 and the atmosphere tool for PlanIt-3d's contest... 5 figures and a half-dozen props... and I want just "this" much fog, not a white-out. :sigh: So a prize or a vote or a kind word are all welcomed... but the truest reward will be getting the image finished and posted. So, let's go with "Spooky", and see if we can rally a few other participants. Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 7:00 AM

Pam, there are many reasons why people didn't enter that had nothing to do with the theme. September was a month that I did nothing creative (a coworker went into surgery for breast cancer, my employer is in the midst of scandel, layoffs, and other cutbacks). It wouldn't have mattered what the theme was...I would not have been able to find the strength to enter it. "Dignity" is a fine theme...full of potential. And the entries reflect how strong the theme was. It is, as with everything, timing. The theme was excellent. The entries were creative and prize worthy. That's what counts.

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 5:15 PM · edited Fri, 07 October 2005 at 5:18 PM

I am with you, let's all claim the win and move into October. As a Fractal Artist, I know how difficult theme challenges can be, which is why I offered 'Spooky' as being vague enough for a wide interpretation by almost any medium, including writing and the ever popular 'popsicle sticks 'n' glue. :) Let's go! Oh, Pam, I agree with dialyn and hauksdottir, it was a wonderful challenge topic, even I could participate :)

Message edited on: 10/07/2005 17:18

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 6:43 PM

Popsicle sticks and glue? I was just going to do hanky ghosts and let the wind do the arranging... but since I've come back from seeing "Corpse Bride", barely minutes ago, maybe something a bit more structured is called for. BTW, the movie is perfect: animation, music, voice talent, and most important of all, story, all comes together. Well worth seeing again. :) Meanwhile, I have 5 skeletons fighting their way through the fog on the Mac, and have to decide whether to chuck that idea or keep messing with the nodes. I know they are in there! Somewhere. Carolly

RimRunner ( ) posted Sat, 08 October 2005 at 1:05 PM

To everyone who entered. :) Looks like we have a winner.. Everyone. Ok, so.. here comes the Holiday / Seasonal Challenge.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 08 October 2005 at 4:37 PM

Of course we are winners! Have you ever wondered what the difference was between "show cats" and "pet cats"? (A difference worth hundreds of dollars as well as a fancier name!) Just walk into a breeder's house where the cats are raised underfoot, and glance around. The show cats KNOW they are winners. Given that most cats expect the world to revolve around them, you'd think that it would take a pedigreed judge to tell the difference, but it is really obvious. The cats know. :)= Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2005 at 10:18 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.