Sat, Sep 21, 8:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Photoshop 6 Text Mask

Jack Casement ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2001 at 7:22 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:31 PM

As a new convert to Photoshop 6 which I like very much, I have found a strange problem which I can't find an answer to in the handbook (do you ever?). I open an image and attempt to apply a text mask, but as soon as I click inside the image as per instructions, my image is then covered with a red filter similar to the rubylith in Quickmask at about 50% opacity. I mention this last bit because it only appears when I go into the Quick Mask Options and set it at Masked Area. If I change the Options to Selected Area I now get the Type Mask appearing in red intil I click the Commit button. So there seems to be some connection between the Type Mask and the Quick Mask. Any ideas?

Lioness ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2001 at 2:53 AM

This could be because you have the create mask button, it has a funky symbol on it,pushed located on the top type tool bar under the menu bar. When you activate the mask and text the buttons will dissapear. You can get rid of the red filter by clicking the X button on the extreme right of the same bar thus the type buttons will reappear. The button next to the mask is normal type, press it and you can type normaly on the picture. Though by now you had probably figured this out a while back, but I can't believe no one ever responded. But in case you hadn't,just trying to help you.

Jack Casement ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2001 at 6:17 AM

Hello Lioness, Thanks for trying to help. I have looked at your suggestion but it seems to be the same as I was already doing (maybe I didn't explain myself very well) I know that the "broken line" Text symbol indicates that the text I will be applying will be a mask, so when I select it and then click inside the image to position the text, that is when the red mist appears along with the flashing curser. I then type the text that I want which appears normal and when I then click on the Commit button the red mist disappears and leaves the flashing Text Mask. It's no big deal it's just that I was wondering if anyone else was getting this as well. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Regards. Jack Casement

Lioness ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2001 at 10:53 AM

Yes, I gotten that too and it was very frustrating beacause it hadn't been my intention to apply a mask, so I was sympathetic to your question. I've noticed when you do click the commit button that, you can't make the backround invisible to actualy see the text. That's why I have been avoiding that mask tool for now. ANyway I have to admit, I am also relatively new to Photoshop 6. I guess we just learn as we go.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.