Sat, Sep 21, 11:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: Mac to PC?

victimorcrime ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 9:41 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:35 PM

Is there a way to change files from a mac to pc format? I found a few poser files I like but some are only in Mac format.

dcasey0284 ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 10:03 PM

I would be interested to know this too. Same reason. What is the difference? Thanks in advance.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 10:23 PM

Yes but it has to happen in the original output. Most Mac people can reverse convert it to PC. None that I know to go Mac to PC on a PC but I am a Mac person.

Digit8r ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 10:41 PM

Usually adding the proper PC file extension works. Of course, to do this you have to know what file types the files are in 8.3 in the first place;-).

ScottA ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 11:04 PM

Ghost. How are you opening PC files with a MAC? Specifically. How are you able to open .cr2 files generated by a PC? PC's can open any MAC figure's without any special convertion program. You just don't get any .rsr files with a MAC figure. So you'll need to resave the figure once opened to make a thumbnail picture for it. However. MAC's use a horizontal layout for the .cr2 files. And as far as I knew. You can't open a PC generated .cr2 file on them because PC .cr2 files are laid out vertically with a different kind carrage returns. ScottA

willf ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 11:31 PM

Poser files are mostley cross-platform. The major drawback for PC is if the file is compressed with Stuffit (.sit), you need to get the utility to decompress it from: http://www.aladdinsys.com ScottA- Not sure about that horizontal format, never seen it myself unless all the carridge returns are stripped-out. When decompressing PC ZIP files on a MAC you just need to set the preferences to "never" convert to MAC format, that will set the retuns properly. You can "open" PC files in most text editors on MAC also. The only thing they must have is the File Type & Creator Code set for them. This can be done with Martins' Maconverter or in ResEdit. This is the info that tells the MAC OS what application the file belonges to and will enable drag&drop. It is somewhat akin to the PC RSR files but not totaly.

jmwiit ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 12:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.aladdinsys.com

Note that Aladdin's Stufftit Expander for PCs is free. - Jim W

Don ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 12:58 AM

MartinC has a Mac to PC and PC to Mac utiity, recently updated somewhere on this site , or at his Rabbit Hole site. It is freeware. I have used it (on a Mac) to convert all types of Poser PC files to Mac with an easy drag and drop operation. It is quick and efficient. Likewise, you can convert Mac to PC by resetting the preferences. Copy the utility and have one set up each way. It is not a large program, but very useful. I think it can only be used on a Mac. -3Don

MartinC ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 2:49 AM

Hello everybody... ScottA, I'm not sure what you mean by "horizontal", but the only difference on TEXT files between the 3 platforms are the linebreak codes (not counting 1000's of different encodings in the "upper" ASCII codes... :-) Thankfully Poser completely ignores the differences, so at least this won't cause trouble. willf, the Mac type/creator codes have nothing to do with RSR, it's a "system level" registration of the file kind & origin, independent of its name. Although it sometimes causes a bit of cross-platform blues, it's a very nice feature - this way you can have both Painter and Photoshop TIFF files that "stick" to their original app when double-clicked, and even if you rename "mypic.tif" to "bogus.exe" it will still be a TIFF file and still connected to the app it has been created with... :-) On the down side Mac users can name "MyVictoria.cr2" into "JustMyVictoria", .sit-it, post-it and leave PC users on their own. If you are a Poser artist on Mac - please don't do this! As Don said above, make a copy of the folder with your files, drag it onto Maconverter, select "Export to PC" by menu and hit "Convert". It will properly check all filenames for the PC and create the RSR files containing the preview thumbnails. Remember that Maconverter will re-convert the whole lot to Mac as well, so the resulting file set will suit your Mac customers as well. Don, you don't have to reset preferences or copy the utility (?) - just select "Export" by menu. However, you should copy the folder (to be converted). victimorcrime, you can use the StuffItExpander for Windows to extract Macintosh .sit files, but you can't create the RSR files or "re-construct" the filenames on a PC. Most of the time this won't be a real problem (because Poser will write correct names, it takes the user to intentionally rename them). If this happens you can only try to contact the creator and ask for details about the files. 'Hope that helps, MartinC

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 7:27 PM

What MartinC said .. he is the man ... S And that is how Scott

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.