Fri, Sep 20, 3:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: brick textures vs. the newbie

inonit ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 9:16 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:26 AM

OK, I am making an old school house and I have several brick or stone textures I can use, but every time I apply one I get the basic color of an individual brick, but it covers the entire building. There are is no "brick wall" per se because there are no individual bricks? What am I missing here. Thanks

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 11:00 AM

without seeing a screenshot, i am guessing you may want to set texture to 'object cubic' then use the editor button topleft to adjust the scale so that more or less bricks are shown.

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 11:02 AM

Depends on how you're doing it, and what sort of mat (material) you're using. There are some brick wall mats out there (check freebies, there's loads of mats there).
First, see if the texture is just the overal color of a brick, or actually has the mortar pattern on it as well. Sometimes you can change the way the mat looks by going into the Deep Texture Editor (even I don't completely understand it..;). Click on the 'm' next to your object or boolean, and look in the window on the upper right side. You should see some settings there. Without selecting anything, look for a setting that says 'world space, world cubic, etc' (It's one of the round buttons, but I'm at work and don't have Bryce in front of me). Sometimes selecting 'world cubic' will make the pattern smaller and more detailed looking.
hope this helps.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

inonit ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 11:26 AM

OK thanks I'll try the object cubic and world cubic suggestions. I did scale in the texture editor but all I got was more rep's of the same brick pattern, no mortar or divisions.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 3:04 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your material lab settings? Thanks!

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 4:57 PM

Have you put the brick pic into the middle window? And have you checked tiling down on the same menu that says "object cubic" (lower right corner of the material preview)?

-- erlik

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2005 at 5:12 PM

file_301500.jpg

Here's a screenshot of a Bryce cube with a brick texture. Notice I inverted the greyscale image in the middle window (upper left, second button to the right) because the mortar is white and would be extruded outward. Or you can simply set bump into negative values. You say your texture covers the entire building... Is it just one mesh or one cube? In that case, you'll have to put a much higher value where I have 24 (first button upper left). The value depends on the size of the object being textured. Parametric mapping is okay, and that's default for photo textures. But if you're texturing a mesh, sometimes the UV mapping is not good, so you have to use Object or World Cubic that rj and pakled are talking about.

-- erlik

inonit ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 3:02 PM

OK thanks...I can't find world cubic and object cubic on the menu, I use Bryce 4 and I wonder if that's Bryce 5 specific? Anyway, I changed the setting to World Space and that gave me the pattern, then I changed the frequency and got the size of bricks I wanted. Thanks all and thanks for the tip about reversing the grayscale or changing the bump to get the mortar right!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.