Sat, Sep 21, 4:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: 2D -- Digital and Physical

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2001 at 5:20 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:36 PM

Here's an idea that's been tumbling around my little head lately. How about separating the "2D" gallery category into two: Digital 2D Physical 2D (or perhaps: Paper/Canvas 2D) There are a lot of great images going into that category, but it would be nice to have the option to view the physical items by themselves, and the digital items by themselves. So many times, it's difficult to tell if a piece was made on the 'puter or scanned, and the artist doesn't always mention it in their notes. Anyone else feel the same? :) Varian

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 7:42 AM

Well, wouldn't Physical 2d stuff have to be photographed or scanned in to be posted? If it was photographed, it could just as easily be in the photo gallery; otherwise, I guess a separate designation would be good, but I know a LOT of us just hit View All when going through the galleries as it stands... :-)

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 12:21 PM

Hi Charlie, Yes, physical (paper/canvas) images are scanned in order to be displayed via a computer. As I mentioned, it's difficult to tell if a piece was made with the 'puter or scanned in later, and the artist doesn't always mention it in their notes. I think the distinction between Photography and 2D is clear enough, although technically, photography is also "2D'. Photographing an oil painting, however, would not make that painting appropriate for the Photography gallery display. I use "All" a lot, too, but sometimes I'm looking for specific things, so I visit just the Vue d'Esprit gallery, or Poser or 2D. As it is currently, "2D" seems to be the catch-all for anything not made with a 3D program or camera; that's why I'd like to see a separation of computer/physical items. :)

Omen555 ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 9:39 AM

I am with Varian on this. I suggest that a "Fine Arts" gallery and a "2D Image editor" gallery be made...or some variation there of.

Omen555 ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2001 at 9:40 AM

It's time to evolve.

chaosphaere ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 6:26 PM

I agree with the suggestion of "Fine Arts" gallery. However, what do you define as "fine arts"? 1) just because it's computer doesn't mean it's not "Fine Arts"; 2) what about those artists (me for instance, there are a few others here) who do MIXED MEDIA? I use traditional media IN COMBINATION with digital media.

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 8:52 PM

Those are very good points, Andreia. "Fine Arts" could cover at least 70% of the art displayed here, so that label would be too broad. And mixed media -- digital and physical used together -- that would blow my original category ideas out the window. :/ On a side note, I've been considering mixing the two myself. Actually I started out that way, scanning in sketches then working further in a paint program. These days, I've been considering going the other direction, printing out a "sketch" and then working on it further with pencils or paints. There is a lot of difference in technique, though, between a Photoshop painting and an oil painting. There must be some way to categorize these differing approaches to make viewing easier -- for those times you want to see what people are doing in a paint program and times you want to see what people are doing on paper. Maybe it's three categories needed? "2D Digital" "2D Physical" "2D DigiPhysical"?? LOL! "Mixed"? Hey, help me out here! :)

Lioness ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 8:53 AM

file_151918.jpg

Catagorizing the different types of 2D art would be neccessary because, as varian says the term "fine art" also covers things like dance and theatre in the real world. I like varian's terms 2D Physical and 2D Digital. And separating them out would help any new visitor to Rederosity decide where they want to go look and post their art when they join.

rcook ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 9:59 AM

There seems to be a lot of support for this idea. We will look into making it happen. Russell

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 11:37 AM

Thanks very much for the response, Russell! If a few "mixed media" blend in with the others, I think even just a 2D Digital/2D Physical division alone would make viewing distinctions much nicer! If 3 categories could be had, then... 2D Digital 2D Physical Mixed Media That last (left open to 2D or 3D) would cover a lot of items that don't quite fit anywhere else. :)

chaosphaere ( ) posted Mon, 12 March 2001 at 6:04 AM

I'm all for it, esp. for Mixed Media. 90% of my work counts as this. Most of my poser work, in fact, is mixed media - the mixture of two different digital media, that is - since I use the computer to completely rework my stuff rather than to produce photoreal renders. There definately needs to be a place for more "painterly" stuff, painted and otherwise.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.