Tue, Oct 22, 12:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 14 4:51 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Need a free (and easy to use) eBook maker

Neyjour ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 8:03 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:51 PM

I've tried Activ E-Book 4.22 and just cannot figure out how to use it. Can anyone recommend a good free eBook maker that is easy to use? TIA! Ney

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

jstro ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 8:19 PM

I did not even know that there were free e-book makers out there. Shows what I know. However, if you count PDF as an e-book format, I know for a fact that Open Office can export to PDF, if that's any help at all. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Neyjour ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 8:48 PM

Darn! Open Office is showing almost 7 hours to download. My ISP boots me on a regular basis, plus that big of a download will probably time out. :( But thanks anyway jstro. :)

jstro ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 9:01 PM

Attached Link: http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/

Yep, it's big. Not something you want to tackle if you don't have a high speed connection. I know it's takes away the glow of getting it for free, but it is available by CDROM as well (see link). Also, since it is Open Source software, if you know someone near you that has a fast download, they could download it for you and burn it to CDROM. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a smaller alternative. But I do highly recommend Open Office (for a variety of reasons). jon

~jon

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 9:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pdf995.com/

There are several free pdf creators out there. As an aside, the problem with ebook makers is that a lot of people are reluctant to open an unknown exe file. Pdfs are generally accepted as being a safe alternative. You didn't need that explanation. I'm feeling verbose today.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 9:37 PM

P.S.regarding the pdf creator for the link I provided. If you use it, you have to suffer an advertising splash screen after you send the file to "print" on the free version. It's a pretty small irritation for a decent enough product.

Neyjour ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 9:38 PM

Thanks dialyn! :) But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to download in the first box. There are 3 different links ... http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2005 at 11:17 PM

You can download all three for free, but the one that converts to pdf is the Pdf995 Printer Driver. I don't know how familiar you are with pdf files, so please bear with me if I've become obvious woman on you, but you choose the pd955 as if you were going to print, but then the results get sent to a file (under the name of your choosing) instead of a printer.

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 1:48 AM

Okay ... got it, installed it, tried it ... and just created my very first eBook! Yay! Thank you so much for your help! :D

Jimdoria ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 3:03 PM

Attached Link: http://www.primopdf.com/

Oops, too late. Anyway, I've been using PrimoPDF for a while. Works well, although a few of the support features are a bit buggy (setting doc props & security settings seems broken) but it genreates NICE PDFs, and it's free. No splash screen either.

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 3:35 PM

Thanks Jimdoria! I'll try that one out as well and compare them. :D

jstro ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 4:41 PM

By the way, there are other reasons to get Open Office besides the fact that it exports PDF. So if you can find that friend who has a fast download it still might be worth your while to have him/her download it for you. I use nothing but at home, and use both Word and OO at work. Frankly, I prefer OO. For example, the thesaurus in Word is pathetic. The Open Office thesaurus, on the other hand, is quite robust. And it exports to Word's .doc format too. But nothing's perfect. Word's grammar checking (looking for active vs. passive voice, sentence fragments, etc.) is much better than OO's. At least for OO Rev. 1.1. I have not had a chance to try out 2.0 yet. Maybe it's improved by now. If it sounds like I'm sold on Open Office it's because I am. :-) jon

~jon

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 5:14 PM

At the moment, I don't know anyone that has high speed. But we're moving soon, and I should be able to find someone to download it for me once we get settled there. Thanks again jstro! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.