Fri, Oct 4, 11:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: problem opening photoshop

3dsound ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 3:02 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 11:30 PM

For some reason I can't open photoshop anymore, when I do I get a blank grey screen with just the menu on top that I can't activate & a flickering bar. So I removed & reinstalled the software and when I tried to open again I got that message: "you currently have Adobe Photoshops primary scratch and windows primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set adobe photoshop's primary scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive." Anybody knows what that means or what I am suppose to do?

tantarus ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 8:03 AM

That message means that you have to go in edit-preferences-plug ins & scratch disks and change the scratch disk location by setting it on separate partition. For example if youre primary partition is C: where the windows are instaled then set it to for example on D:, or if you dont have any other partitions create it. The best posible solution would be to get another HDD and set it as scratch disk for PS :) Hope this will help you :) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

TrulyMadly ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 11:31 AM

After you install it, when you get this message does that mean you can actually open the program again? This warning message should have been displayed the first time you ran your program before the re-installation. Well, if you can run photoshop now, then there is nothing to worry about. Follow Tihomir's advise, one thing to bear in mind is for best result, the drive ( whether physical or partition ) for scratch disk and your operation system should be different. Hope this helps a little :)

3dsound ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 12:42 PM · edited Thu, 10 November 2005 at 12:43 PM

Do I have to go in "edit-preferences-plug ins" in photoshop or another location? cause if in photoshop, I can't even use the top menu, I can see it but it's inactive.

Message edited on: 11/10/2005 12:43

TrulyMadly ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 3:46 PM

Hmm, first you must click on the warning message to get rid or it before you can enter photoshop, but I am sure you have done that already. Yes, in order to change the scratch disk you have to access the part you mentioned, however that won't change anything until you open photoshop next time. But whether you change your scratch disk or not has nothing to do with the reason your menu bar being inactive. I suspect your photoshop is corrupted. Now you make me very curious what happen to the program. Somebody out there please help us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWAMP ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2005 at 6:38 PM

Sounds to me like your Photoshop preference file has gotten corrupt (not that uncommon). Removing and reinstalling PS doesnt change/overwrite the (corrupt) preference file, as it is not located at the same location as Photoshops program files. To delete that file, start Photoshop (and while it is opening); hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys (Mac: Command, Option, Shift). A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences file. The message you got is normal when PS is first installed, then goes away after the first few times Photoshop is opened. It is not an error message but just informing you that Photoshop would prefer to have its scratch disk on a separate physical drive from Windowss swap disk. BTW: Adobe has said that putting PSs swap file on a partition on the same drive as the OS, really does nothing but waste disk space. It needs to be on a separate physical drive to see any performance improvement. SWAMP

3dsound ( ) posted Fri, 11 November 2005 at 12:05 AM

Is there another way to delete that file? I don't get any dialogue box when I hold Alt,Ctrl and Shift keys.

3dsound ( ) posted Fri, 11 November 2005 at 12:21 AM

Never mind! I found the file and manually removed it. Now Photoshop is working again, thanks a lot for your help :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.