Wed, Oct 2, 11:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: SR2...................This cannot be right

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 2:48 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 9:32 PM

I read the improvements,,, sounded exciting. Installed it and rebooted. I immediately hit the "restructure file" wall and patiently went through all poser libraries...7 minutes each. I start a PZ3...and hit the "restructure file" again. Did I miss one? Add something to library,,,"restructure file"....!!!!@#$%^&* Purchased here at Rendo and loaded it...."restructure file"..!!! Oddly, I have to wait 3 minutes for the cute new window "This will take a few minutes" to wait some more. All I can do is reinstall fresh(15th time since P6). I'm not pleased and have yet to get close to seeing the improvements. If only you could hack out what you want in the SR2...(P5 library structure with P6 enhancements This kills creativity. Brought to you while waiting for "more of the above"

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 3:03 PM

Hmmmm.....I haven't experienced anything like this at all. SR2 has -- so far -- proven to be an improvement. Not a source of problems.

I've had the program ask me if I wanted to build directory structures for my oversize runtimes, but it's only taken a few seconds at most to perform the task. Certainly not seven minutes. I hope that someone can help you with this. It's gotta be a pain, I know.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 3:44 PM

I've not seen anything even closely resembling that message and I have 5 major runtimes and about 7 more minor ones.

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 4:46 PM

I'm really good at finding problems. Wish I sucked at it. I saw a similar thread yesterday. Each time I add to library, It forces a total Restructure in each library (material,figure, pose, etc) 7 minutes each

nerd ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 4:56 PM
Forum Moderator

7 minutes? How many Yotta Bytes are in each runtime? My biggest runtime is 5 GB and only takes about 20 seconds to load. Now, I was having a slowness problem that turned out the be a hardware problem. A Drive cable needed to be reseated, probably oxidized contacts. The only symptom was a slow library in P6 and a backup program that was unhappy. Nerd3D

FishNose ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:37 PM · edited Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:44 PM

I have one P6 Runtime, it's 50 Gig and over 250 000 files (!!) and I see none of these problems you mention, with SR2. So it has nothing to do with size or complexity of the Runtime.
On the contrary, it's faster and more useful than was SR1.

I have any number of copies of the Poser install itself (P4, P5, P6 orig, P6 SR1, P6 SR2 and spare copies). All over my disks. I pick one and test an install to it. If it doesn't work out OK, I try a new one or go back to the original.
I tend to do mimimum installs and then copy them.
And Poser doesn't mind at all where it gets initialised from.

This way, if your install breaks you grab another one.
No big erases and reinstalls this way.

All my P6 installs point to the same big Runtime.

You can tell I've been in this biz a loooong time - since the days of Visicalc and DBase, lol. And beta-testing the first versions of Windows, amongst other things. Always have a backup plan.
So when an install breaks for me (like my first SR2 attempt) I just do a new one on a P6 copy. Took all of 5 extra minutes. And now it works fine.

:] Fish

Message edited on: 11/15/2005 17:44

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:47 PM

One Runtime (SR1 fallout,,,too long a delay between Runtimes) so, 45 gigs stripped of P3, P4, P5,6 figures except default james. I'll reinstall 1st clean before I say something I'll regret. SR1 was just starting to behave(fast except Miki),,,hence this thread. I'll check the contacts, too Looks like I'm alone on this one (again) Thanks for responses

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 7:10 PM

file_304505.jpg

For posterity,,, Changed rendersize750x1000 and hit render...got this. Frozen for the 1st time in quite a while. This is a new one for me.

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 11:46 PM

I think there are issues with Pz3's saved prior to SR2. Hav eyou tried a fresh start?

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 10:32 AM

There was something about the P6 install which didn't work well with some antivirus software. It looked as though the way the install routines extracted component files from the archive led to the AV software re-scanning the archive each time it was read. (Sorry, I can't recall the filename. MS use .cab files for the same purpose.) Could this behaviour be an interaction with AV software? Is there anything running in the background?

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 2:23 PM

Anton, It was not a fresh start but who wants to after each SR? Don't they test this stuff??? ATiger, not a thing changed in the few minutes it took to load SR2 and reboot. I've reinstalled and no change. So back to SR1...

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 2:57 PM

Richardson, umm.. well that isn't really fair of you to just say "no" and refuse to even look into it.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Jules53757 ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2005 at 3:29 AM

If you look at all the treads here about SR2, usually it's not SR2 that causes problems, its the PC or the user. And as you are the only one claiming this prob, you should check your installation and PC before blaming SR2, which is working fine for me. My istallation is on an external USB drive and only my backup installation on my PC but I don't see big differences when I work with the PC, except its a little bit faster due to internal drive, processor speed and RAM.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.