Sat, Sep 21, 10:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How would I go about doing this?

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 1:30 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:38 PM

I want to take an image then select a color for deletion. Basically I have an image on a black background and I want to be able to delete all the black hues on the image and leave it transparent so all that is left is the image that was on the black background. Is there a way to do this 'cuz I've searched in vain for a way to do so. Thanks!

Lioness ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 9:17 AM

file_152876.jpg

I'm not sure what you eventually want to do with it but did you try to select out the image, using the magic wand or polygon lasso( point to point) then in Layer, select new, layer via cut? Then you could just delete the backround layer and do what you want with the image.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 1:23 PM

Yeah but when you use the wands even when you follow a shape as close as possible you still get the "cutout" syndrome. You still do not get feathered soft edges like the image on the background has. I want to remove hues completely leaving a transparency in it's place. This way there would be nothing but the image I want left on the page with no residual hues present. Corel Knockout can do this but I don't have it.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 2:42 PM

Hou could try Select/Color Range, and play around with the fuzziness, then invert the selection, and make a new layer via cut as Lioness said. But the magic wand is going to probably work at least as well, unless you are trying to select something like the sky between th eleaves of a tree, that isn't continous. Hold down the shift key to add to the selection with th emagic wand, and don't confuse it with the lasso, which I think you did.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 2:54 PM

Okay I'll give it a try , maybe I did mistake it for the lasso. Just seems like there would be a way with Photoshop to just delete hues completely. And leave all others in the spectrum untouched.

VooDooUterus ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 4:10 PM

1.for an accurate extraction use the "extract" utility (image>extract ; or alt + ctrl + x). Experiment. 2.The magic wand has a tolerance that you can adjust, which is quite useful. 3. the magnetic lasso also has a tolerance. try that. after you have the proper region selected, use select>feather to soften the edges before to clear/cutout. These are the methods I use a dozen times a day, daily, and the reslts are flawless. One suggestion, photoshop is a powerful editing tool with unlimited strength, as long as you're willing to learn it; shortcuts save time but don't often yield results as accurate or attractive as doing it the right way, which usually means the hard way. But at least by not using shortcuts you gain more creative control.

Lioness ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 10:44 PM

Once you have the area selected, then right clicking should opun a pop-up menu. Feather is the third selection(Like VooDooUterus mentioned above). There is also the Erase, Background Erase and Magic Erase you might want to try. Back to the cut and new layer method, you can also right click on the layer in the Layer-channel-path sub window to adjust the blending options.

puzzledpaul ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 12:34 PM

Hi, have you considered using the alpha channels? If the background is black, it should be relatively easy to inspect them, choose the one offering the best contrast, copy it, and use it to make a selection. Using levels/curves on this copied channel can also help. If there are blemishes/faults inside the bit you want to keep, correct same with one/any of the painting tools. Using an alpha channel to store the masking info gives you the flexibility of going back to do small corrective touch-ups as well as global changes like max/min/blur etc if needed. You've also still got the mask should you need same for other jobs, say drop shadow or stroking. Changing colour mode can sometimes help in tricky situations.

bonestructure ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 7:35 PM

Select color range or the magic wand can come close, but you'd be surprised how much of whatever color you want is also in the other objects in the picture. Me, I zoom in very deep and use the lasso tool. It's painstaking, but it works. Once I get the things deleted I want, I go around the cut edges with the blur tool to blur it lightly. Can't say what other folks do. But that's worked for me since like, Photoshop 4. Once you get a method of working, I guess you rarely change it.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2001 at 6:09 PM

I experimented using all your combined advice and I ended up just using Illusion to do what I needed. I used the non-degradable Targa format and composited the layers I needed to achieve the effect I was looking for. I did learn a bit more of Photoshop by using all your advice though , thanks guys!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.