Fri, Sep 20, 11:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Daz's FREE DRAFT HORSE!!

Marie ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 12:42 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:22 PM

Oh wow, the FREE draft horse is great!! I ran and got it.. Thanks, Daz!! But I do think it is important to note that the agreement that you have to accept as it is installing, states quite clearly, that ANY CREATIVE AND DERIVATIVE WORKS of daz models are not allowed without express written permission! So anyone making a morph or map for this model, (and I assume any other "daz" models), and sharing it here would be in violation of the agreement?! I would bet that they would give permission only if you are going to broker your creative results with them... but it seems with such a strict agreement, they are "frowning" on freebies!?

JOE LE GECKO ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 4:32 AM

I think they are talking about new models based upon original Daz3D mesh... wish I'm right :)

picnic ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 8:28 AM

Joe, I would think so too. There have always been LOTs of textures for Zygote/Daz models--morphs also--in fact, I've always assumed they have encouraged this. If not, then we might as well all fold our tents G diane

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 10:18 AM

I would assume that "works OF Daz models" means reworking the actual mesh. If they said "creative works FROM Daz models" it would mean images and renders we've created from or for them (like finished pictures or morphs/textures, etc. I agree with Joe, I would assume that means remodeling the actual mesh and redistributing it. At least I would hope that's what it means. Maybe someone from DAZ would be so kind as to come in and clarify this for us. Melanie

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, use agreements are clouded in cryptic wording that doesn't really say anything to the layman. I've actually sat and read some of them several times and still had no idea what they were saying. It would be nice to see a use agreement that actually says what it really means, in a recognizable Earth language. :) Most of us aren't legal professionals and I, for one, would like to read an agreement that just says in simple words, "Don't change this mesh or distribute redistribute it on other sites," or something that is clear. Melanie

BlueRain ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 10:37 AM

You know a link to the freestuff area of DAZ would be nice since your talking about it.

picnic ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 11:49 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com

You just go to www.daz3d.com and on the front page there is the free model in your lower left hand corner. Click on it and go from there. Diane

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 12:51 PM

Joe el Gecko, You are right. You cannot derive or "take from" a mesh and resell it or give it away as yours. You can sell morphs and textures as long as you don't take a Daz texture map and change something on it, then sell it..or change a part of the mesh and give the object away or sell it. Any textures you make from the templates you can sell or give away. Marque

danfarr ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 2:00 PM

Marque and Joe le Gecko are totally correct. The agreement is intended to protect the mesh from somebody modifying it and trying to redistribute the mesh as their own creation. People may create morph targets for the mesh and redistribute the .cr2 files reflecting their changes. The .cr2 files only benefit those who have the original mesh. For the same reason, we distribute texture templates with our models. The templates allow for artists to create original work that works in conjunction with our products without working from our original texture maps. I hope that I have answered this in a clearer language than the license agreement. Please feel free to contact us with any questions concerning our license agreements or anything else. Sincerely, Dan Farr DAZ Productions

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 6:41 PM

heyas; well, i don't see anywhere in the license agreement where it says these things. i mean, it goes on at length about how you cant redistribute the 3d models, you have to protect the copyrights of the 3d models, etc etc -- that's not new. i do not see where it says anything about 'creative and derivative works,' or where (as i have heard rumors) that daz can take derivative works such as morphs and confiscate them. where do you guys see this stuff?? i do like the part where the offending party in any litigation has to pay all the lawyers' fees. ;) oh, btw... why doesn't the installer put the license.txt and directions txt file... somewhere? to re-read things, i have to reinstall everything :/

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 7:08 PM

Thanks, Dan, for clarifying this. Much appreciated. Melanie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.