Thu, Sep 19, 9:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: how do i add a reflection in this layered image?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 9:27 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 7:05 PM

file_307558.jpg

hi ya'all! i've been practicing a lot more with layering and blending images. i find it really difficult to do, but the more time i spend practicing the easier it's becoming. i'd like your feedback on what i've done with this image. i kinda like the strange, eerie feel and find it pleasing to look at, but i'm not sure about it. i'd like your honest feedback please. :) I'm also wondering how to get the reflection of the clouds into the water. Can anyone help me out with that? this image shows the 2 images i used and one version of the final result...at least for now. thanks so much for your input, guys!!! :)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 9:29 AM

file_307559.jpg

here's one other version that i like. same two images, but converted to sepia. i just can't decide. thanks again for your help. gotta run to work soon, so i'll talk to ya'all tonight i reckon! :)

ModestyB ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 10:37 AM

Great work, sweetie ;) Hm.....two different mood...the sepia one looks old...and the bluish one looks moore spooky :) Reflected clouds in the water...hm.....U can use the dodgetool in PS and fake clouds..like paint em in... Or flip the cloud-image vertical & paste in one more layer and merge it in with using the erase-tool using low opacity on the water....and High on the buildingpart area (those parts U dont whant any X-tra clouds in :) )....... Do I make my self understanable? I feel so limited in the english language..explaning things :) Puss ;)

cynlee ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 10:39 AM · edited Fri, 25 November 2005 at 10:41 AM

i like the first one too sheila!
to place a reflection of the clouds in the water i would..
take the cloud image, flip it, layer it over the your 2nd image
at partial opacity so you can see through it, select the water area,
invert, delete the unwanted area, & blend the edges with the eraser, removing it from over the tower..
try some of the blending modes.. like lighten, darken, multiply, overlay, etc..
see which one looks the most realistic & set the opacity to the right level,
which i would assume would be pretty light crossed with modesty but i see she verifies the one way i described..

Message edited on: 11/25/2005 10:41

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 1:17 PM

we were incredibly slow at work for lunch. have a long break before going back. guess everyone's eating leftovers! Yikes...us too! LOL! :) Modesty, thanks! Yes, i understood what you were saying! i've never used the dodge tool before, so i will try the other way you suggested. appreciate your help! :) Cindy, thanks for the detailed instructions! i will give it a try and see how it goes!! Wish me luck! muchas gracia, senorita!! :)

gradient ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 2:40 PM

Exactly what cynlee and ModestyB said, except one other tip....do your erasing on a layer mask of the flipped clouds. That way if you make any mistakes, you can always "unerase" from the mask. Have fun....

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 9:14 PM

gradient...er...fly...uh...sorry...not sure how you like to be called. :) Anyway, thanks so much for that tip!! :)

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 26 November 2005 at 9:41 PM

I remember the original..this rework is neat stuff. Keep at it!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 11:03 AM

actually the original is in that collage in the first image i posted in this thread. i just took that shot a week or so ago and never posted it before. i have taken several images of this building...same view/different times of day/different exposures, etc. i just have a fascination for that place. :) anyway, i recently posted a color & b/w version of this image in my gallery. i guess they're similar shots. this one was taken when the sun was higher and i could see more details on the building. :) anyway, thanks, Tom...glad u like! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.