Fri, Sep 20, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara 5 question from a poser user..

alamanos ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 2:42 PM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 12:19 AM

I just saw the info on version 5 of Carrara.. looks very promising... from what i was able to gather from the website.. i should be able to open up cr2 figures directly and pose them.. just a few questions on that for those that have the beta version... 1) how easy is it to pose figures? 2) can i apply poser poses within carrara.. 3) if i load a figure then pose her/him... if i load clothing will it conform?? 4) can i apply mat files directly in carrara 5 to figures that have been loaded... 5) if i apply mat files... how accurate and easy is it??? do i have to search for textures?? do i have to tweak transparencies,etc... before i render... 6).. how about HDRI.... does Carrara 5 use them?? Thanks in advance.. i know i'm asking alot of questions... but it would sure help me knowing these answers before purchasing.. Nick

LCBoliou ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 4:08 PM

C5Pro will load native Poser figures as well as use the Transposer plug-in to load Poser figures. The differences are: (1) Native file Poser imports do not require a copy of poser on your PC, but will not carry over dynamic Poser attributes. (2) Transposer requires that a copy of Poser be installed on your PC. It will import dynamic Poser attributes, Poses (as saved from Poser), and Poser animations. Transposer can also maintain connection to Poser figures, so if you go back into Poser and change the Poser attributes (any of them), when you reopen the Carrara scene, those changes will be updated automatically.

You can do some pretty good animation within C5Pro, but if using Transposer, I don't think dynamic attributes will be updated? I don't do hardly any Poser/Carrara animation, so possibly someone else can give you specifics in that area?

Ringo ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 4:42 PM

Yes you can load "Poses" for your poser characters when you load your Poser character as native format. Load Poses Load Clothing Conform clothing. Use morph targets.

anastasis20 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 4:46 PM

file_309491.jpg

I can help you with some of these, I've also chucked a screengrab in so you can see it in action: 1) depends how used to Poser you are - Carrara's way isn't too awkward, a combination of dials, a skeleton and a complete parts list should cover what you need. 2) Yes, just import them. 3) Yes, the option is there - both to import cloth and to conform it. I'm having a bit of a tough time getting it to work, but I'm probably doing something wrong. Like LCBoliou says you'll need the Transposer plug-in to use dynamic cloth & hair. 4) Haven't got a clue, sorry. 5) I tweak everything anyway. Hair & eyelash transparencies tend to get in okay, but Poser specific shader functions won't. I have noticed that Carrara asks for the main body texture, but not the rest - eyes, head etc. Hopefully someone else can clarify this point. 6) Yes.

alamanos ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 6:40 PM

Wow!!!..thanks for the info.. this is great news... it sounds like version 5 has everything i'm looking for... looking forward to buying it when it's released.. thanks again.. nick

steama ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 7:19 PM

One thing you may want to note. Carrara/Transposer 2 does not play well with Poser 6. So you are better off using Poser 5. E frontier seems like they are not sharing the Poser 6 SDK with Eovia, which is needed, so that the Eovia software may be updated to work with Poser 6. I bought Poser 6 before I knew this and it mostly just sits on my computer unused.

alamanos ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 7:47 PM

i have poser 5 and 6... but from what i'm reading, i should be able to eliminate poser from the loop...

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 8:07 PM

I should add, I use strictly Poser 6...I have a bare bones basic install of just the Poser 5 app(no items, just a runtime structure, in case ;) & all is well. Just so C5P has a P5 .exe to look at :) Hope that helps.

bwtr ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 10:17 PM

This problem comes up continually. I suggest you won't get piece of mind until your Poser 6 is completely removed from your computer. If you go back through the other many threads, on other sites as well-you will arrive at a similar conclusion. Sorry for all those who don't have Poser5.

bwtr

steama ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 10:24 PM

Gee, I can't get a poser 6 file to come in at all...well, I should say I do get a ground plane...but no figure. Poser 5 works great though. I dunno how dlk30341 does it, but it is very cool that he can. My hats off to him that he has made use of Poser 6 with Carrara. I wish I could.

ren_mem ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 11:20 PM

The important part of p6 w/ carrara as I understand it is having poser 5 on the computer. I do not believe it will happen at all w/ p6 only.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

hotsteppa ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 12:29 AM

At the risk of repeating myself (but hey, I don't want to see anyone else stung...), you can still pick up P5 for a fraction of the cost of P6 from purplus.com (and no, I don't have shares or anything!)

steama ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 1:28 AM

I have Poser 5 and Poser 6. Poser 6 is a total no go. I would like some details from dk30341. Are you using P6 with SR1, SR2 or just the original P6? Any other details would be appreciated. I'm just wondering if there is any little details that would make P6 work. So far it seems like such a waste. I would like to feel that I could salvage something of Poser 6. I love Carrara and hate Shade (and others). I would rather totally dump P6 (even Poser altogether) before I would ever walk from using Carrara.

hotsteppa ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 4:12 AM

Actually, as an aside, I have just found one use for P6, since my copies seem happy to co-exist on my PC (though Transposer only plays with P5 files in my experience). There's a new P6 plugin called PoserPhysics which allows you to do ragdoll physics on Poser figures - rather natty and one of the few things still obviously missing from Carrara... It only runs on P6, but someone pointed out to me that I can export the animation data in .bvh format, recreate the setup in P5 to add cloth and hair dynamics, and then export it to Transposer...

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 8:35 AM

Hi, sense many are now starting to download the final release of C5you will find that it now has Poser 6 support in the C5Pro version.

anastasis20 ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 9:06 AM

Poser 6 support in Carrara 5 Pro? Been playing with it since yesterday & didn't notice. Does that mean Carrara can now read .obz files and import those binary extrnal morph things that I've done my best to get rid of? Admittedly I've been trying to work out the new Translucency feature - Brownie points to Eovia for throwing something new at us, thanks.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 9:12 AM

Final release o.O...will be checking email all day LOL & days to come :)

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 9:54 AM

Attached Link: http://www.eovia.com/products/carrara5/carrara_new_features.asp

yes the final release with is available now has Poser 6 support. check the eovia link

steama ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 5:06 PM

Eovia is HOT! That is great news! I like Poser 6 better than Poser 5 and I thought it was a waste if I couldn't use it in Carrara! Good job Eovia and thanks Ringo for the super news. Stan

martial ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 7:02 PM

Hello I have carrara 5 demo ,still waiting download of final one.But i have bought transposer 2 when i was using Carrara 4 .Someone have tried transposer 2 with C5? What about dynamic clothing? I didn't seen update for transposer 2 with C5 except if you have bought C5pro(transposer included).Thanks

Ringo ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 8:49 PM

Currently only C5Pro has Poser6 support. Bob Stockwell as said this about an upcoming update to the currect standalone Transposer2. "We will make an announcement about this at a date in the very near future. Bob" end quote

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 11:43 PM

Time to re-install Poser 6.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.