Mon, Sep 9, 10:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 4:57 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: December Challenge - Lights!

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2005 at 7:37 PM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 8:18 AM

This is the last challenge of the year, I hope we get lots of participants :)

Here in the northern hemisphere, we are having short days and long dark nights. It's nice to have the holiday lights to brighten up the darkness. But this challenge is for any kind of lights...sunlight, torchlight, firelight, holiday lights, nightlights. You choose the light and you choose any way you like to present it!

Everyone is welcome, any kind of medium: written word, music, photograph, hand painted or quilted, 2d, 3d, fractal...come join us to light up the end of the year!

Message edited on: 12/04/2005 19:38

Fractals will always amaze me!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2005 at 10:14 PM

Delightful idea! And handling light sources well is always a challenge. :)

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 2:01 PM

I read this and my first reaction was "But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks?", but I think maybe I can do better than that. Great challenge subject.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2005 at 2:39 AM · edited Wed, 07 December 2005 at 2:40 AM

file_309376.jpg

My images sometimes take on a life of their own.

Having typed the above quote I opened up Bryce and put in a wall and a window, placed a table in front of the window and them worked on getting the sun's rays to stream through said window.

When I came back to the image later this is what had happened.

All people who are owned by a cat will know the truism that if there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor or table a cat will find it and soak it up.....quite regardless of what other important tasks he had been "helping" you with.

Message edited on: 12/07/2005 02:40

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2005 at 10:18 AM

Ah yes...the delights of cat sun bathing. Very familiar to me. What a good start!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2005 at 6:48 PM

Absolutely! A round patch produces a round cat, and a square patch produces a square cat with legs and tail outstretched to catch every bit of warmth. Our solar collecters should be so efficient! Great kitty... nicely furred. :) Carolly

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 5:32 AM · edited Thu, 08 December 2005 at 5:33 AM

file_309377.jpg

I have done a series of images about the Sami people, a native people living in the north of Sweden. This is a vision of Northern Light(Aurora Borealis)

Message edited on: 12/08/2005 05:33

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 5:52 AM

Oooo...lovely. Gives me a chill. In a good way.

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 6:00 AM

Thanks Dianne! Yes, a chill can be a good thing too, but the chills I get here just come from the cold weather :-)

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 6:02 AM

I love pics of the Aurora...am in the wrong place to ever see one for real.

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 6:08 AM

I have seen it, but where I lived the colors were not so intense as far up north. Anyway, it's marvellous!!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 6:52 AM

That is lovely!

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 4:22 PM

Thanks! Your name, hauksdottir sounds Icelandish to me, do you have your roots there?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2005 at 8:09 PM

I was hoping to find vikings, but my ancestors appear to be ranchers and horsebreeders who BOUGHT their critters. Most disappointing. Not a horse thief in the bunch. Some day I might go further back.

gunsan ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2005 at 1:25 AM

:-) Try harder!!

anniemation ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2005 at 12:37 AM

file_309378.jpg

Wonderful image, Gunsan! My entry, Starlight. Postwork and a program called Universe Creator over a Poser figure.

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2005 at 12:42 AM

So beautiful!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2005 at 4:37 AM

Wow! Just.... w.o.w.

chainedpoet ( ) posted Thu, 15 December 2005 at 9:26 AM

file_309379.jpg

My first real try at Lighting in a purposeful way,seemed to fit the challenge.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 15 December 2005 at 9:32 AM

Lovely. :) This is turning into a really beautiful challenge.

tresamie ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 12:26 AM

file_309380.jpg

Holly With Lights! UltraFractal, animated with Animation Shop. The compression to make this fit in the forum has really messed up the lights, they are not supposed to have rings in their haloes, lol!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 7:47 AM

That is so much fun! Halos or no, I love your lit up holly. :)

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 8:29 AM

Have to agree, that is super.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 10:21 AM

Well, I surely hope that Santa hits THAT area last! Poor Rudolph will disappear completely in a haze of blinking lights and Santa will get so lost that it will be months before he emerges. Maybe even years. :( Of course, being reindeer, they might just eat their way clear through! ;^) Carolly

nghayward ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 12:14 PM

file_309381.jpg

months almost over, better post my entry

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 9:46 AM

Ok everyone... last couple days of the year.. and of the challenge. Voting to start on Thursday Night/Friday Morning. Good luck everyone !!

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 6:21 AM · edited Thu, 29 December 2005 at 6:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1123353&Start=1&Artist=hauksdottir&ByArtist=Yes

file_309383.jpg

The only sonnet I've ever written (follow the link to get to the poem). :sigh: Maybe a pretty background will help.

Message edited on: 12/29/2005 06:22

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 7:07 AM

I like it. :)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 8:52 AM

file_309384.jpg

For your first and only sonnet Carolly, that is lovely. Thanks for reminding us about this challenge over in the photo forum. Here's my humble submission.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 10:02 AM

Those are certainly warm-hearted snowmen! :) Like candalaria but with electric lights inside? With a bit of fiberglass armature and some white plastic bags, those wouldn't be too hard to make. Wait... did dialyn's disappear? I thought I remembered something warm in color above mine??? How can I comment when it is gone? Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 10:12 AM

I removed mine. When I look at it in the cold light of morning, it was all wrong...the light was coming from the wrong direction and didn't send the message I was trying to express. We have such wonderful submissions this time, I'm too embarressed to leave mine up. Great job, everyone...it's going to be another one that is tough to vote on. Love the snow people...well suited to the theme.

azy ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 12:22 PM

file_309385.jpg

My entry "Foggy Nights"

Eggiwegs! I would like... to smash them!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 12:24 PM

Great entry...my favorite of your 'intoxicating' Xmas photos! ;]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

netsia ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 12:59 PM

'Walking Through The Lights' I wasn't feeling the cold anymore. The snow was at almost white out condition but seemed to have no effect on me. We had walked several miles, at this point, and the forward movement became as if by rote. If this is where we were going to die, I was bent on absorbing every second. Micro became reality and macro just a blur. Then something happened that changed the entire reality of the moment. It was as if the heavens were opening up to us. Exquisite lights began shimmering through the skies. A completely different sensation went through me. I looked over to my two friends, to see if they were part of the 'going home' experience. At first, I wasn't sure. They had hit the same level of non-distress that I had and I was certain that my eyes were just as glazed over as theirs were. Was this one of the stages of hypothermia? Were we freezing to death and Creator, in infinite wisdom, was providing a 'Jimmi Hendrix Experience' for our viewing pleasure? I had always loved Vermont and it seemed as if my final moments would be forever etched in my psyche as an affirmation of how beautiful the place really was. The day had started with a furniture shopping trip with my friends Kate and Kenny. They had just bought a 10 room ski lodge near Killington and we were off to fill every room. After hours spent in the wood furniture outlet, we had filled the rental truck and shut the door. There was about 5 to 7 inches of snow on the ground but we knew the way back to Rutland and didn't think twice about the 10 mile journey. About 2 miles and half an hour later, our minds were changed. The truck had gone off the road, sliding on an ice patch, and down into a ditch. Thus began our walk through the storm that night. "Kenny, do you see that?" I wasn't sure what the answer would be. Almost didn't care if this vision was there or not. I was enjoying the view. "See what, Sue? I don't see anything." I looked over to see a sly smile on his face and we both started to laugh. "That is the Aurora Borealis, beautiful ain't it?" I just smiled at him, words weren't necessary. The energy that was filling the skies, the shimmer and static sounds were the most incredible thing to me. The colors and hues danced through the cold winter air above our heads. Giant sheer draperies being splayed across the sky, all for our viewing enjoyment, as we walked through the storm. I felt as if this was truly the 'One with the Universe' feeling that we all sought. Seemed almost funny that all it took was a slide off into a ditch to reach Nirvana. I wasn't going to argue, I was just enjoying the ride, er walk. I almost wanted this time to go on forever, not giving thought to the next steps or to what our last steps would be like. If this was "the Stairway To Heaven, I was going to immerse myself in each footfall. I then heard a crunching sound. Turning I saw a car pull up, it's sole occupant opened the door and offered us a ride into town. For a brief second I was torn, wanting to stay in this Paradise of Lights, but I was happy to be sitting in the warmth of the closed door. The lights were fading away, as we made our trip into civilization. The driver, as it turned out, was a doctor from Montreal and he was urging us to go to hospital. We did, finding that our adventure was resulting in some frostbite and altitude sickness, brought on by the walk of several miles through the snow. All worth the result of my first viewing of the Northern Lights. I live in the Rockies now and have since seen the lights. I smile with the appreciation of that first night and the feeling of 'walking on'. I've had a few more brushes with mortality but none as beautiful as that night. mourningdove caller (c)2005

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 7:35 PM

file_309386.jpg

my entry (I hope it is not too late) ... :)

Xmas light ... 4eva !!!

Carlos.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 7:37 PM

Excellent last minute entries, each and every one. This month's challenge warms my imagination. :D

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 8:51 PM

Yes, indeed! :) Over the transom or under the wire, these are all quite nice entries. We've got a fine mix of fractals and photographs, renders and writing, from funny to elegant to thoughtful... and Rimrunner hasn't poked his head in yet, so there may still be a bit of time. I like it when voting is hard because there are so many EXCELLENT choices. Carolly

netsia ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 11:31 PM

Great entries! Gunsan's touches my heart, it is exquisite. :)

RimRunner ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 7:44 AM

First off Congrats to everyone !! Please cast your votes for your three top choices. 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. I'll come back through and tally up the results and announce those on Sunday Night. Good luck everyone !!

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

nghayward ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 3:51 PM

A difficult decision, some good pieces to choose from but I've finally decided 1st Gunsan 2nd Azy 3rd Tresamie but well done all.

netsia ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 5:19 PM

1~GUNSAN 2~hauksdottir 3~anniemation

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 8:09 PM

There are so many excellent entries that I have to go with my heart on my voting. Great entries, everybody! 1. TwoPynts - I love those warm hearted snow people. 2. gunsan - so beautiful 3. netsia - because it's always nice to have the light of a winter's tale Truly, I hated to choose.

bluetone ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2005 at 8:34 PM

Great entries... what a great way to end the year! :D Well.. here it is: 1) Gunsan 2) Tresamie 3) Azy Happy New Year all!!!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2005 at 9:54 PM

This is an extremely hard decision! I feel like a kid in a candy shop, wanting to choose them all. :deep sigh: ********************* 1) anniemation Not just because I have a weakness for space, but this also has a sense of aiming for a goal, and thereby being placed among the stars. 2) gunsan Delicate and etherial and mysterious... just lovely. 3) solrac_gi_2nd Immaculate composition, perfect exposure (of a difficult subject), clean and elegant presentation. ******************* It hurts to only get 3 choices, since I emphasize with chohole's kitty (mine is no help at all when the trimmings and ornaments come out), netsia's story touched my heart (my own experience of hypothermia wasn't quite as inspiring), and I got a giggle out of both the snowmen and the holly. :sigh: Even chainedpoet's first attemmpt at lighting is gentle and sweet. Carolly

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 3:55 AM

1)anniemation 2)gunsan 3)chainedpoet as stated a hard decision Sandy

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

XoxoTree ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 5:15 AM

I am so lost on this forum. Please somebody direct me to the place I'm to be. I'm looking for December contest. Thanks , Lotta

"One Oneness One"

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 6:39 AM

Lotta, This is the right thread for the December challenge. It is now in the voting stages. All entries are either posted directly to the thread or linked. We accept poetry and stories, photos, renderings, models, crafts, digital paintings and pencil scribbles... IOW, any media as long as it fits the theme. The winner of the challenge gets to choose the theme for the next month. It is a friendly challenge, and we can even post WIP and help each other with our comments. At least until voting time, when we go at it tooth and claw. (Just kidding.) Posts 4,7,16,19,21,25,27,29,32,34,35 are entries. To vote, just pick which 3 in order, and RimRunner will tally everything at the end. (We are supposed to award points, but I suspect that I'm not the only dyslexic on this board!) As you can see, there is a nice selection and it is fun and a learning experience. Sometimes voting is easy, and sometimes everybody really is a winner because they are all good and just entering was surmounting the challenge. The winner (most points) chooses a theme and starts a new thread. Here are links to our last 3: November - "weather signs" http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12372&Form.ShowMessage=2464906 October - "spooky" http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12372&Form.ShowMessage=2437160 September - "dignity" http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12372&Form.ShowMessage=2403346 Earlier themes this year included: "summer's end", "hot dogs", "crystal clear", "to wring tears from stone" "commencement", "march", "love", "resolution"... quite a span from serious to silly to sentimental. :) So, why not vote and then join in next time? Carolly

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 10:19 PM

1st gunsan 2nd chohole 3rd solrac_gi_2nd This has been one of the hardest ones to vote on in recent memory! Everyone did so very well. I thought all of the entries were wonderful! I liked dialyn's also, a very clever idea!

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 10:04 AM · edited Wed, 04 January 2006 at 10:05 AM

Ist...anniemation
2nd...Gunsan
3rd...twopynts

Almost missed the vote, for some reason I didn't get an ebot.

Message edited on: 01/04/2006 10:05

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 1:25 PM

I suspect that the ebots celebrated New Years... the American, the Chinese, the Jewish, the Mithrain, and Yule... so we'll be lucky to see them come staggering back sometime after snowmelt. ;^) A quick eyeballing looks like gunsan will take the lead with 20 votes, so he probably ought to be thinking of a challenge theme for this month while waiting for RimRunner to do the official annointing bit. Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 1:29 PM

This is one of those happy months (and we've had many in 2005) where I'd be content if any (or all) of the participants won. It really is a wonderful end to and beginning of a year project. Thank you, tresamie, for suggesting it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.