Fri, Sep 20, 3:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: SF Story Probably being Written At this Moment

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2005 at 6:03 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:48 AM

Attached Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20051212-1405-ca-mice-humanbrains.html

"Mice grow human brain cells after stem cell injections By Paul Elias ASSOCIATED PRESS 2:05 p.m. December 12, 2005 SAN FRANCISCO Add another creation to the strange scientific menagerie where animal species are being mixed together in ever more exotic combinations. Scientists announced Monday that they had created mice with small amounts of human brain cells in an effort to make realistic models of neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease. " What would it be like to be a mouse who suddenly has human intelligence? It could be a horror story, or a tragedy. I wonder at what point human arrogance goes one step too far? How do we carelessly kill a creature that suddenly has human traits of intelligence? What are the ramifications of blurring the lines...or are they already blurred and we are too ignorant (or too egotistical) to see it? Hmmm?

SusiQ ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 2:54 AM

This is horrific! I can understand about humans wanting to find cures but really! If we had to clean up our lives and our world we wouldn't have as many diseases.

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

Jaqui ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 3:42 AM

I can see it now: mutant mice taking over the human empire spread across the galaxy!!!! We haven't been able to wipe them out when they don't have the smarts of a human being, how much chance would we have if they did have? the sequel: the mouse empire takes on the cockroaches!!!!! with a numerical disadvantage of about 20 trillion to one!!!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 7:04 AM

It seems to be the magic "what if" could send this into several directions...medical drama, essay on the human existence, haiku on what is a mouse, science fiction, horror.....you name it, the mind plays. The question is, how many of those stories will be written by mice? <:3~ Squeek.

midrael ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 9:35 AM

And who doesn't like a haiku on a mouse??? Hmm I suppose it depends on which mouse ascends to the throne of the new meeses empire. You could have benevolent rules like Mickey or Mighty or an evil tyrant like Ratigan!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 9:54 AM

I wonder if there are any worried cats out there? >^..^

midrael ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 3:15 PM

I dunnoooo.. Cats have other things to worry about.. ..such as Christmas trees!

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 5:58 PM

I bet they could run the proverbial 'maze' a WHOLE LOT faster! I just think it must be pretty darned sad when they can't find a 'human' brain to experiment on for 'human' problems. I volunteer! It's dirty job, but someone's gotta' do it!! TallPockets at your service!!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 6:12 PM

I'd volunteer but first I have to remember where I put my brain. Darn thing, I keep losing it. Or is that my mind?

TallPockets ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 6:47 PM

Miss Dialyn - Methinks we have about 435 congressional representatives and 100 senators in Washington, D.C. could provide this 'volunteer' service? Their absence would likely go un-noticed. It might even improve things? Who knows? They laughed at Wilbur and Orville Wright when they said they would fly at Kittyhawk!! WINK. T.P.

Svarg ( ) posted Mon, 26 December 2005 at 7:04 AM

Did you ever see the movie "The Secret of NIHM"?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 12:10 AM

That is freaky. But cool to think about, sort of. Cool and creepy combined. And my first thought was exactly that, The Secret of Nihm. Was my favorite animated film when I was a kid. ~E.D.

Svarg ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 5:05 AM

....and if we listen to Douglas Adams in 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' the mice are already are in charge. It is we who are the experiment!

micsteel ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 9:56 PM

Flowers for Algernon. Humans generally aren't capable of recognizing--or respecting--non-human intelligence. Or HUMAN intelligence, for that matter, as history and current events clearly show.

japes ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 10:11 AM

My first thought was the book as I don't remember the movie The Secret of Nihm. But my next thought was from the toon Pinky and the Brain. "We are going to do what we do every night Pinky, We are going to try to take over the world."

Svarg ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 11:45 AM

So . . . who wrote the book 'The Secret of NIHM'? Was it autobiographical? Or perhaps Brain? (I love that toon)

micsteel ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 12:49 PM

The Secret of NIMH predates Pinky and the Brain; perhaps THEY were inspired by it? "One of them's a genius; the other's insane!" Since megalomania is insanity, Pinky must be the genius. :D

micsteel ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 12:50 PM

NIMH: National Institute of Mental Health.

Svarg ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 3:06 PM

WHAT?! Its not National Institute of Health Mental?!! :P (oops) I just wondered who actually wrote the book. I also knew niether Brain nor Pinky wrote it; Pinky being the obvious genius because he has all the fun.

micsteel ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 6:01 PM

(My memory has failed me again: It was "One is a genius...") The movie was based on "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" by Robert C. O'Brien, first published in 1971, I believe. I don't know if Mr. O'Brien was a rat or not... :D

Svarg ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 6:07 PM

Ty, I'll look for it; it seems worthy. And perhaps he was not a rat . . . but a mouse.

Jimdoria ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 4:30 PM

Ahh, the idea of mice with human brains doesn't scare me. No, not at all. Not since I learned about: ROBOT JET FIGHTERS PILOTED BY LAB-GROWN RAT BRAINS! Now THAT'S worth waking up in a cold sweat over.

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

micsteel ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 5:20 PM

Rats in Space... Yep, if it weren't for those whiney conservatives, we'd all be driving cars powered by rat brains, and nobody would have to go to work cuz all our jobs would be handled by little petri platters of rodent neurons... Of course, that would mean that none of us would get paid, but who would need people anymore, anyway? Except, I think the oldest profession might still have a few positions...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.