Thu, Sep 19, 10:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Site is S-o-o-o S-l-o-o-o-w

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2005 at 3:48 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:57 PM

I really don't like to complain, but I have so little time available lately to spend at Renderosity...whether it's shopping in the store or looking through the galleries...it's soooo frustrating to spend most of the time waiting for web pages just to open up...

It seems like this is happening more and more...there will be some big announcement that "whatever" (fill in the blank) has been done by the tech people and it should all be fixed now...and it's fine for a few days, and then it all comes to a screeching halt again...

Isn't there anything the PTB can do to permanently speed things up??

I come here to get a distraction from "real" life and I just can't face more headaches when I arrive! PLEASE!! {drops to knees to beg}

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2005 at 4:37 PM

Until RR decides to do something about updating the site software, I dont see any possibility of increased speed. ~sigh~

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2005 at 11:36 PM

I just wonder sometimes - after all these years, is it really the site software? surely they would have switched, if that were the case. I mean, any server can go bad, regardless of what's running it, but do these episodes only happen when there are no techs to handle them? or perhaps when the techs are asleep at the wheel? heaven only knows ....

pearce ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2005 at 5:00 AM

4th try... Tried to reply but got the MSQL crap, so here goes again... Whenever the site upgrades, the peak number of logged-on members increases to a higher max. It's like road-building to ease congestion -- the traffic just builds to a new, denser peak of congestion. Maybe the time has come (and I'm going to hide behind the sofa after sending this) to bring in an annual subscription. This need not be much. $5 would probably be enough. But it would discourage:- a) Pointless clone accounts. b) Memebers signing up friends, neighbours, passers-by and their pets in order to solicit "Woooo! fantastic -- you are such a talented artist"-type messages in the galleries. c) Idle bandwidth-sucking forum-lurking. Now, where's that sofa? ;)

pearce ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2005 at 5:04 PM

(hardhat off) Ten hours later, no moans and groans. So, how about a time-waster-blocking subscription? Any thoughts? Anybody?? Can't you get through??? m.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2005 at 6:35 PM

Hey...I hit another one.

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Ardiva ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2005 at 7:37 PM

Good idea, pearce. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind paying $5.00, even $10.00 a year for a subscription here if it would help the congestion.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2005 at 12:19 AM

Idle bandwidth-sucking forum-lurking. a time-waster-blocking subscription You're implying that only merchants and the like who generate money for this site shouldn't have to pay? So the learning part of this memberbase 'should' have to pay? If it goes subscription, Im outta here. No doubt a large portion would leave as well.. Face it, without a memberbase as large as RR has, paying or not, RR would not be doing as well as it has been. I myself would not pay to visit a site. There are many members here who do what they can to help..many of whom are not merchants, nor customers..but their experience and expertise do wonders for drawing customers in for RR..

~Jani

Ardiva ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2005 at 8:06 AM · edited Sun, 11 December 2005 at 8:07 AM

Jump....I don't think a large portion of this membership would leave if a $5.00 per year charge were put in place. Maybe the underage kids here who have no means of paying, yes...but not others, who are adults.

Message edited on: 12/11/2005 08:07

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2005 at 2:02 PM

Thats just my opinion..I dont figure there will be too many 'visitors/potential customers' showing up once they realize they have to pay to get access to shop or 'browse' here. As for the underagers..there are many here I suspect that are here to learn..which is what 'part' of RR was 'supposed' to be about..and not just for those underage. I figure if there are other sites that are 'free' to 'visit' then that is where alot of people are going to go..~shrugs~

~Jani

Ardiva ( ) posted Sun, 11 December 2005 at 2:58 PM

In my estimation, the majority of members will gladly pay the paltry $5.00 per year. Not to fear. smile

Nosiferret ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 6:12 PM

I hope it gets fixed soon. It is taking something along the lines of 30 seconds to 1 minute for a page to load on my end. It makes doing a search for something very irritating and time consuming. If they start asking for a monthly/yearly fee the price of items in the stores better drop imo...but Rosity does get a % of all sales I am sure so that should do away with sponging for more money to "fix server issues" and I know I've spent quite a lot of money here in the last year to probably float my own personal server.

Ardiva ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 6:17 PM

Hmmm....since last night, I've been racing through the forums like a jackrabbit! Seems to be fine for me now..

ClintH ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 6:20 PM

Same here. I havent seen them this fast in a long time. We have plans in place to upgrade the servers this week. That should help even more. I'm getting 1-3 second responses in the forums since yesterday. Searches will take longer. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Nosiferret ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 12:31 PM

Kind of funny, I noticed an increase to my speed as well since I posted on this thread...magic maybe? maybe that is the trick, post something on the forums and that will give you an express ticket to zoom around the rest of the web site. heheh

pearce ( ) posted Thu, 15 December 2005 at 3:21 PM

"If it goes subscription, Im outta here. No doubt a large portion would leave as well.." 10c per week is too much?? The whole point is that a large portion should leave (as well...).

Ardiva ( ) posted Thu, 15 December 2005 at 4:01 PM

I'll stay if that happens...it's a very cheap price to pay per year. I'm astounded that some think this fee is too high, or that they would just leave because! lol

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 5:10 PM

10c per week is too much?? it's a very cheap price to pay per year. I'm astounded that some think this fee is too high How did either of you get 'THAT' out of my post?? And even tho you two are astounded...ever think that for some, it just might 'be' too much? ~wish I had some prizes to hand out, as someone will inevitably give the replies I am thinking of...~

~Jani

kinggoran ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 3:55 PM

"10c per week is too much?? The whole point is that a large portion should leave (as well...)." I'm pretty sure 1c would be too much, as there is little incentive to pay for something you always got for free and still can get for free elsewhere (3Dcommune). The hassle and risk of paying with a credit-card isn't worth is. And why must they cut down on their member-base? Isn't it the purpose of a community to be active and large?

heck_berry ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2006 at 10:01 AM

10c is not much... nothing is for free... only your frustation (which you get when browsing this site.)

dricci ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 8:50 PM

I say limit personal galleries to 3pages after that, pay for more bandwidth.... The galleries are full of peoples old artwork, zapping bandwidth and funds to update server speed!!!!! This slow down is causing people like me not to come around as much ... It's just a waste of time and extremely frustrating!!!! It would be nice to hear from Admin what they plan to do about this....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.