Tue, Oct 22, 9:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 7:52 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: M3 Paladin will not be available on Renderosity

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 2:19 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 7:31 AM

Attached Link: M3 Paladin available at XFX3d.net

file_315600.jpg

We were intending to release the M3 Paladin on Renderosity as well as at it's other locations (XFX3 and PoserPros).

However, we have been informed that if an outside link to XFX3d.net is included in the README, it cannot be sold on Renderosity.

Our product support request page is at XFX3d Web Support, and we don't intend to give out an email address on a README file which is linked from the product page and thus available to any and all webspiders. We feel that would be just asking for spam to this address.

Furthermore, we don't see any reason for this rule against outside links at all, don't recall it having ever been the case in the past, and don't agree with it. If we want to link in the README file to XFX3d.net, we should be able to, as this is both the support site for the Paladin for M3 product and it's home location, as well as that for all other XFX3d products. Additionally, we do not want to provide different products under the same name at different locations; the READMEs are part of the product.

As a result of this issue and of this difference of opinion, we at XFX3d politely decline to offer this product through Renderosity's store.

M3 Paladin should be available for individual purchase soon at PoserPros, and is already available for download to subscribers at XFX3d.net.

Message edited on: 01/01/2006 14:20

I'm the asshole. You wanna be a shit? You gotta go through ME.

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 2:21 PM

file_315601.jpg

Here's the promo image

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 2:21 PM

file_315602.jpg

And the included sword and shield

Arvanor ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 2:44 PM

Never mind, i took the subscription. Nice stuff you have there!

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will!

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 2:58 PM

Thank you!

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 3:28 PM

You were most likely misinformed in regards to the linking to your site issue, I just went through that. The email has always been required, no spam issues for me - it's a text file without hotlinking which is probably why. Don't your other products here have the email?

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 4:06 PM

Not really sure if the Karfellian did. Would have to check, but probably -- the Karfellian was put up before the XFX Web Support system was written. Still, can't see any reason not to have a link to the site in the README, and don't agree strongly enough to decline to have the product up in the RMP.

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 4:10 PM

That's my point - they told me I couldn't link to 3DA in my readme either - but turned out the tester qas wrong and it was totally within my rights to link to my support site. I pm'ed ya anyhow.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 4:25 PM

The reason ODF discontinued any new items here was the same. Per the store Admin, we cannot have a link, even email and even in the readme, to our site. Since support for ODF email wise is Support@ and since we handle support issues there, that made it impossible for us to provide effective support to our customers here.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 4:27 PM

ODF is a brokerage - that's the difference ;-)

-Galileo

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 5:25 PM

Well -- in the case of this product, ClintH informed Dodger specifically that he couldn't have the link in there, at all at all.

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 5:31 PM

Check your pm's would ya? I sent you a link to where Clint specifically said it was allowed if it wasn't a brokerage site.

-Galileo

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 5:45 PM

Seems as though a link for support and not directly to store front should be allowed. An email seems as though it would be even more permissible. Rules like this are one of the reasons that we pulled from Rendo. --Rebekah--

XFX3d ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2006 at 10:30 PM

LSM's right. While we're not allowed to discuss here what specifically we read there, nothing prevents us from saying what impression we got out of it, and that's that milady and ourselves are all 100% correct in this. Nothing in the renderosity rules prevents anything of the sort in the README, and the rules controlling what you can link in the product description specifically proscribe linking to the front page of a competing brokerage. XFX3d is NOT a brokerage. Though after this sort of thing, Dodger is becoming sorely tempted to turn it into one.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:14 AM · edited Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:16 AM

I have mixed emotions about the theme of this thread. While I understand and greatly appreciate the need to provide proper support to customers (like me).....I'm also thinking that a separate, non-site-related e-mail account included in the readme file could easily cover this need.

shrug If I were a merchant, then I'd be viewing matters with an eye to making money -- and selling things on Rendo helps to accomplish this goal.

BTW - the Paladin looks like a great product. I don't know if bringing up a behind-the-scenes merchant controversy in the Product Showcase forum is the best way to advertise it.....but I suspect that people who are looking for a nice set of armor for M3 won't particularly care one way or the other about inside-baseball squabbling between merchants over esoteric readme-file policies. They'll buy the product because they want to render pictures of M3 going about the serious business of slaying dragons.

Message edited on: 01/02/2006 01:16

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:18 AM

BTW II -- how many people actually read readme files, anyway?

Probably about as many as have read the Poser manual from cover to cover.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XFX3d ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 2:20 PM

We're trying to work out something in between right now. We'll see how it goes.

Moonbiter ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 12:57 AM

I care and I do read the read me files of items I buy before I buy them. But why would Rendo care about a link in the read me in the first place? Fear of competition? Heh, when the other guy is already selling here and supporting this store with his sales, that's a strange rational.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.