Fri, Sep 20, 11:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Is it ok to give away old version of Carrara that you purchased?

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 5:46 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:45 AM

Hi. On another board I ran into a retired guy who can't afford the 50 bucks for Carrara 3 from a reseller. A few years ago I purchased C3 and then the upgrade to C4 Pro later (haven't gotten around to C5 yet, but I will). Anyway, would I be violating any of Eovia's terms if I sent him the disks for C3? I realize he wouldn't be able to use it as an upgrade path. If it's ok I'll send them. If not I won't.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 7:24 PM

If you used 3 to get the upgrade price to anything later then no. An upgrade license is tied to previous versions. Technically sw companies can write the licenses how they want like many now let you(the original purchaser) use the older version sw while some still say it's a direct replacement(this is really an issue with single app to suite upgrades).So unless they have a very unusual license then no. It's the license you purchase not the disk altho that's also been debated and lost in court. It can be confusing.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 7:26 PM

Ok. Thanks for the info. I won't send them then unless somebody from Eovia chimes in to say it's ok.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 9:48 PM

why don't you email eovia - i'v efound them really helpful and quick to answer my questions. if someone gets a free old copy they might pay for an upgrade later so eovia might think of it as marketing. love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

fuzzoom ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 10:53 PM

Tunesy, If you can't give your friend your old version of Carrara, there are lots of good freeware 3D programs out there. The link below has a list of some freeware apps and their download links. http://www.computerarts.co.uk/downloads/3d__and__animation?result_page=2 I downloaded Blender and now use it for polygon modelling. If I couldn't afford Carrara, I'd be using Blender full-time. Just a thought. :-)

ren_mem ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 10:45 AM · edited Sun, 15 January 2006 at 10:46 AM

I'd say Blender was the best(for cost effectiveness). The fact that it is free is awesome...however it is really different interface-wise.The ppmodeler listed on CA actually looks ok and wings3D is pretty good, but it's still in beta so if you have some video problems it can be pretty bad due to less than perfect error catching.If you read the license that you purchased w/ c4 it should lay out the eula that will tell you, but I am sure it is no.

Message edited on: 01/15/2006 10:46

Just make it invisible.

Tunesy ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 10:50 AM

Yes. I'm aware of Blender and the other freebies out there. He just wants a good renderer. He'll probably end up using blender for the time being. Thanks.

David0419 ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2006 at 9:53 AM · edited Fri, 20 January 2006 at 9:55 AM

Hey Tunesy,

I e-mailed Eovia about the very same question although I asked if I could sell version 3. Bob Stockwell from marketing e-mailed back that I could sell the software, however the person buying the software would not be able to register the software or receive technical support or be eligible for upgrade pricing. In other words, if they wanted to buy a later version, they would have to pay full price. Anyhow, for someone who just wants to learn 3D and/or dabble in it, I think it is a great way to start without a lot of money invested. They may find they don't like it or can't get the hang of it. If they do become hooked, they can always make the full purchase later.

David

Message edited on: 01/20/2006 09:55

Tunesy ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 9:56 AM

Ok. Thanks for the info, David.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 21 January 2006 at 11:14 PM

Well, that's unusual.So that won't affect your upgrade license? I did notice their license agreement wasn't near as verbose as many. Nice that they are not so uptight. I guess as long as you can show you purchased c3 if it ever came up it would be ok. I would save the letter tho.

Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.