Mon, Sep 9, 6:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Has anyone used DAZ Studio before? What exactly is it?

ttheterr ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 11:43 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:00 AM

Howdy! So I've had Poser for about 3 weeks now and it's fun learning it - but I've been looking for figures etc. and I came across "Michael 3" free of charge on daz3d.com. I downloaded him and it appears as if I need DAZ Studio to do anything with him, so I found that free on there as well.

The only problem is, I don't exactly what I'm supposed to do with DAZ Studio. I'm reading the website and it's a bunch of marketing crap but I'm still not exactly sure how it ties into Poser so I haven't installed it yet.

Does anyone here have this? Is it worth installing? Can I use it within Poser 5 or is it an entirely different thing? I'm confused!

PS - if you guys know of any "plain english" tutorials on this software it would be much appreciated!

THANKS!

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 12:00 AM

You can use M3 with Poser as well. I use Studio and love it. It's a program similar to Poser in that it can pose people and whatnot and render. The front page should have the link that takes you to sign up for the download. And for the Studio content as well. Just register, if you haven't already, and they give instructions on where to find it once you have placed the order. It's not in their store. It's on the front page.

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 1:06 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12452

There is a separate Daz Studio forum here if you get into it :-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

philebus ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 1:15 AM

DAZ also have a couple more free Poser/Studio figures, Victoria 3 and Aiko 3 - well worth picking up.

ttheterr ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 1:16 AM

Hey thanks you two - I'm just wondering if I installed DAZ would it cause any conflicts with Poser. I barely know Poser and I wanted to learn it before adding a whole new program. I guess I thought it was an "add-on" that would allow me to do more cool stuff with Poser. oh well... thanks!

Bea ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 1:36 AM

A lot of people use both programs. some prefer Poser and some prefer DAZ Studio. If you are going to work with Bryce then DAZ Studio is easier to import. If you are going to work with Vue then Poser is easier.

philebus ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 1:39 AM

The two won't conflict, Studio isn't as fully featured as Poser 5, being more on a par with Poser 4. Instead, they are developing plug-ins that will be sold. Personally, I prefer the Poser environment to work in, along with its materials and dynamics. On the other hand, a whole lot of people swear by Studio. I'm finding that 3D programs are not just about 'what's best' but 'what has the interface that suits you best'. Studio comes into its own for me in conjuction with Bryce, DAZ's landscape software. Studio makes short work of introducing Poser models to Bryce scenes and that earns it a place on my pc.

vilian ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 4:30 AM

Quote: "I came across "Michael 3" free of charge on daz3d.com. I downloaded him and it appears as if I need DAZ Studio to do anything with him" Not true. Assuming you're on PC, you just need to run the installer (the .exe file you got from DAZ site), let it search your compy for a content directory (or point the directory by hand, which is of course faster, it's the folder where poser.exe file is) and just install M3 into Poser. You can load him within Poser from Character -> DAZ People library.

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

maclean ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 10:35 AM

A quick bit of history. All the DAZ figures and products for sale or free are developed to work with Poser. However, several years ago, when Poser changed parent company, there were rumors of it possibly going under. Rather than find themselves making content for a program that might not exist, DAZ decided to make their own software. Poser is still going strong, but DAZ have built a pretty neat little program anyway. It's not as powerful as poser, but a lot of people prefer it's interface, and it have a few things, like low memory use, which make it better in some ways. Like any new program, it'll take a while to catch up with poser (which has been around for about 15 years), but you might like it, and it's certainly worth keeping an eye on as a possible alternative. And of course, it's free, which is a big attraction. In a nutshell, poser and daz studio are alternative apps which do similar things - they allow you to pose figures, build scenes and make renders. You can run them both at the same time with no problems. Since you already have poser, I'd concentrate on learning it first, but as DS is free, you might want to try it anyway and see how you like it. mac

ttheterr ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 2:18 PM

Wow, now THAT was the kind of information I was looking for. This forum is great. :o) And to Vilian, I am using a Mac (I love the PC too btw!) -- any idea on how I could import the "DAZ" figures into Poser on a Mac?? I will try running it from the folder where the Poser.exe file lives but rest assure I'll be back if that doesn't work!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 3:18 PM

wow..I can feel the luv..;) Usually, Daz Studio is the lit match in a sea of Poser gasoline..;) I've played with it some, but still using Poser 4..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 5:08 PM · edited Mon, 16 January 2006 at 5:10 PM

"However, several years ago, when Poser changed parent company, there were rumors of it possibly going under. Rather than find themselves making content for a program that might not exist, DAZ decided to make their own software."<<

Hey there. Not quite accurate. There were no "sincere" concerns that CL would go under. This was not the reason STudio was developed. Daz wanted to be independent from CL and not dependant on a business releationship with them.

Message edited on: 01/16/2006 17:10

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

coldrake ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 7:00 PM

No "sincere" concerns? The fact that a lot of the employees were laid off and some people that were still working there hadn't been paid for months? The fact that people were so upset about not being able to get a security key (which CL later dropped) to install Poser 5 in case CL went under that CL posted on these boards that if they did go under they would make sure the key would be available elswhere? That sounds like a pretty "sincere" concern to me. Maybe you were on vacation that month. Coldrake

milamber42 ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 9:52 PM

Sorry Anton, but maclean is correct. Being someone that was around at the time, I distinctly remember Dan Farr stating in a post that they started developing DAZ Studio when Poser's future was in question.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 12:09 AM

ttheterr: When/if you download DAZ|Studio (costs nothing but download time and hard drive space), the included manual comes with a whole section dedicated to just tutorials, as well as additional excerises designed to familiarize yourself with such things as PowerPose, the Surfaces Tab, and many other parts of the interface and components. The 1.2 version also comes with a glossary of terms (to make it all less confusing), as well as an entire section dedicated to what 3D actually is and how it works. Any questions after that, and you're more than welcome to IM me if you'd like. /P

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:22 AM

Coldrake, Studio was planned way before any of that happened, not after. The timeline was prior to P5, not after, which is when what you mentioned. milamber42, Yes I believe it was said. But companies say lots of things.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

vilian ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:53 AM · edited Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.cocs.com/poser/terms.htm

ttheterr: Since you're on Mac, I can't help you that much - all I know is that you need .sit version of Michael3 installer (.exe is PC only) and you need to extract it as any other .sit file. It should include proper paths so that you don't have to move extracted files all around by yourself. And I agree, since you already have P5, get familiar with the app before you try another one, with similar usage but completely different interface.

Link points to short explanation of most commonly used terms around the community - also on types and locations of various Poser files. You may want to check it out, as it should help you get familiar with the terminology.

Message edited on: 01/17/2006 05:57

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:39 AM · edited Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:39 AM

"Yes I believe it was said. But companies say lots of things."

...and so do disgruntled former employees of said companies ;)

/P (yeah, couldn't resist. sue me.) Message edited on: 01/17/2006 08:39

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:58 AM

I wouldn't know. Never been an employee. Tom how many times do I have to ask you to just skip over me? 100 times maybe. Is a hand written request required? Point your perception at your own posting styles first if you dare. Back to Poser (name of the topic forum).

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 6:31 PM · edited Tue, 17 January 2006 at 6:39 PM

We shan't go into ugly details and nitpicking here, as it would be counterproductive, no?

" Is a hand written request required?"
...maybe you can send the msg to me over an intercom?

Tell you what - you leave DAZ alone, and I'll happily leave you alone - deal?

/P

Message edited on: 01/17/2006 18:39

Migal ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 7:45 PM

Watch out children. There'll be wrist-slappings and a return to the Disney channel, or else.

Caly ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 9:20 PM

ttheterr when you get things at Daz you get an option either PC .exes or Mac .sits. Be sure to get the Mac installers, when you click 'em they go where they need to, or you can redirect 'em to whatever folders you're inclined to. The truth is a 3-edged sword. His truth, my truth, and what actually happened. ;)

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 10:32 PM

places "Keep it Civil" sign in the middle of the room I think we'd all appreciate it if disagreements weren't constantly had when a member asks a question regarding use of applications, regardless of what company makes/distributes/writes it. MorriganShadow Poser Moderator

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 5:44 AM

"Tell you what - you leave DAZ alone, and I'll happily leave you alone - deal?"<< Tom. You are neither a moderator here, nor are you a policeman, other than self-appointed. It isn't your job or place to poke me personally based on what you think I deserve. It is the very definition of trollign and why you will stop. Mind your own posts. If you want to discuss me, my history, or what you don't like about me, there are plenty of sites for personality dissections. This however is a software forum, tpoic being Poser, not Anton.

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 6:23 AM

Anton - I mean it. Both of you knock it off.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 6:58 AM

I mean it. Both of you knock it off. Or you'll both be going to bed without your supper! Now scoot! I'm trying to watch this show! bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 7:07 AM

Certainly, Morrigan; I shall happily cease to have gentle fun with him in my own way... let this and the one thread from last year be the last that I'll josh him about anything. For the record, I admire Anton's skills as a modeller and as an artist, and have no dislike towards him. I honestly don't hate the guy, despite the hype. My only interests in this matter were towards DAZ. I am admittedly a tad partial to them because of the many wonderful opportunities they have afforded me, and the many wonderful people I have come to know that work there. When the rest of the world was at my throat in the latter half of 2005, the folks in Draper went out of their way to make me feel welcome and at home. It tends to make me feel a bit protective of them (though if I ever decide to take up the blogging thing again, it won't protect them from honest and constructive criticism). But enough about personal history - if Anton feels unfairly persecuted over my gentle ripostes, then I shall happily focus only on the subject at hand in any thread in which we find ourselves together. Fair enough? /P

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 8:19 AM

Fair enough. My personal preference would be that you both just ignore each other, but, this being an imperfect world that probably won't happen. I'm just going to request that, regardless of your feelings for each other, whether they be seething hatred, burning lust, or a mild distaste, that both of you (and, honestly any member that wants to start anything with anyone) remember that this is a community, and doing things like this in threads asking for help is not only counter productive, but pushes new folk out of the community as a whole, not just Renderosity. I don't like having to get out my "stern mod" hat, but, frankly, I will if it calls for it. MS

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 8:21 AM

Oh, also, I don't want to hear anything about anyone "starting it". I'm not going to mother 2 men who are older than me.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 9:52 AM

For the record: The original post I responded to was innaccurate. I corrected that. That aside, I do not come here for poking, ribbing, gentle jokes, lectures, speeches, Im's about what I should do, personal advice, or professional advice, or for a better insight into myself. I come her to discuss Poser and not people. I come here to answer questions, provide information, and read. All that also aside. I don't ever want to receive one more piece of advice by IM. Nor do I ever expect to be trolled, or have my personality or affiars brought up to me again either in this thread, or by Tom, Morrigan, or anyone esle for that matter. Period. Either enforce your TOS or don't. Either Tom will stop or he won't. But I don't expect any member should be talked down to in post or IM when they ask for assistance.

SndCastie ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 10:02 AM

Ok I think this thread has gone way off track and I am locking it down. SndCastie

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.