Tue, Oct 22, 1:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:36 am)

Subject: Email Virus Attack? re: "Updated for Poser 5"

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 2:59 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:28 AM

I've gotten 3 identical emails titled "Updated for Poser 5" in the last 12 hours from polyimage (neftis). It gives a link to a P5 update for the M2 Yann hair. That doesn't make sense. Why send a P5 update when we're at P6, and this was a M2 hairstyle? Methinks this is a virus. Does anyone know how to get ahold of Neftis ASAP? I aleady sent one reply email. Got no response. The email looks like this: -----Original Message----- >From: neftis >Sent: Jan 27, 2006 12:42 PM >To: BastBlack >Subject: Updated for Poser 5 > >Hello, here is an updated version that should work in Poser 5. >Simply put the file in the same library as the Yann hair and render! > >Happy rendering! >Neftis > >http://www.polymage.com/temp/ NOTE: I snipped the addresses and the download link. bB

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:12 PM

well if the hair was designed for poser 4 (and for some reason does not work right in poser 5) then an up date to poser 5 will probably be needed for it to work properly in poser 6 as well.

My Homepageย - Free stuff and Galleries

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:17 PM

Yann Hair doesn't work in Poser 5 without a lot of faffing about. I also received the email and downloaded from the link without a second thought. That's not to say it isn't a virus, btw, for all you know, I could be a hacker, tyoing through Sam's computer to make you think everything is ok. :) Oh well, I'll know for sure when I open the zip. :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:36 PM ยท edited Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:38 PM

I hope you run the file through a virus scanner first before you open it.
I downloaded the link in the first email without a second thought. However, it showed a broken link page but it did look like it downloaded and opened something. I sent a reply email. Got no response. When I got the 2nd email, I was like, "DOH! It must be a virus! How stupid of me!"

I went to the Ployimage website, there was nothing there about an update to Yann hair in the news, what's new, or forums.

I could have sworn this update happened a long time ago when P5 first came out, now that I think about it. The P5 Firefly render engine was crashing on Yann Hair. (it happens to other hairs for the same reasons too).

bB

Message edited on: 01/27/2006 15:38

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:37 PM ยท edited Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:39 PM

I got 3 emails as well & when I clicked on the link it said page NOT found. So I couldn't even get the zip. I tried "replying" to the email & it came back undeliverable :( PC Cillan detected no virus in the email itself.

Message edited on: 01/27/2006 15:39

Casette ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:40 PM

I have received it three times too. The link gives a 'page not found'

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

rockets ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:51 PM

I received 3 as well. I just deleted them because I wasn't interested.

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 4:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/members.ez?Who=neftis

Anyone tried sending him a PM or email from here and asking him?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 4:23 PM

cherokee69 - just curious - what was the creation date on the files when you unzipped them? Recent?

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 4:26 PM

The RSR is dated 28/01/2006, the rest are 26/01/2006.

Irish ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 4:47 PM

I got the same 3 emails and a link that goes to page not found. :)

gillbrooks ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 4:58 PM

I had the same email but only once. I replied asking why I'd got it because I didn't buy that hair but got no reply.

Gill

ย ย ย ย ย ย ย 

Richard T ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 5:20 PM

The Classic Hair was updated on the 26 Jan 2006 (My updated RO Purchase screen). I didn't purchase the Yann product mentioned. Maybe there is a problem with record keeping?

Irish ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 5:53 PM

I was able to get the download - the link worked for me. :)

Hedda ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 6:32 PM

I have also recived that message 3 times, 1 yesteday and two today. And I haven't even bought the product. I have bought another hair from neftis a long time ago, but not that one. I was also wondering what was going on, but I can see that there is no reason to try to reply on the email, since several of you have, and unable to deliver.

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 6:33 PM

I got it yesterday in my email and it was a broken link. I got it today, and the download worked. I scanned it, it's not a virus. But what's strange is that I never bought the Yann hair. About three years ago I bought the Casual Hair from neftis,though, so maybe she's just sending it to all members who bought something, or got customer lists mixed up. shrug So, now I apparently have a Yann hair with no texture. Just what I needed. ;)

odeathoflife ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 6:54 PM

I just sent a reply cause I never bought it either, will not download til I get the OK cause there is obviously a glitch somewhere :)-

โ™ ฮฉ Poser eZine ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ Poser Free Stuff ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ My Homepage ฮฉโ™ 

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

ย 

ClintH ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:31 PM ยท edited Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:32 PM

Our mail server had a little issue with the E-Mail that neftis sent to her previous buyers.
It went to a large group that were not previous buyers of this specific product

Its not a virus.
Clint

Message edited on: 01/27/2006 19:32

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 9:16 PM

Wow, people are getting free hair? =o Anyhoo, thanks for all the feedback. I just tried one of the downlinks sent today and it appears to be a normal poser file. I did try sending a message from here at Renderosity, but so far, no reply. I guess this was just emails sent out with some errors? Hey, it never hurts to be safe when downloading email attachments and links. Viruses are known to hijack legit email address and legit subject titles to trick people into downloading. The only tip-offs are the subject lines are often old email subject lines. So I think I was totally right to red flag this one. P5 is old, and the Yann hair has been out for years. Pretty cool to get an update. But I think it would have been wise if 2nd and 3rd emails had said the bad download link was fixed and the new one is fine. That would have cleared up the matter of the mysterious triple email. bB

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 10:24 PM

I got the 3 emails, and downloaed one. I ran it thru Norton and it was fine, So I just figured it was part of a mass mailing because I'd bought hair from Neftis before.

DarkAngelGenesis ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 12:57 AM

I also got this mail, but did not use it as I never bought the Yann hair and assumed this was sent to me by mistake. At least this helps solve that mystery.

Porthos ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 6:13 AM

I got it three times and was directed to a page not found.

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

karanta ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 6:24 AM

Same here... got 3 emails, but page was not found.

My Renderosity Store

SophiaDeer ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 6:30 AM

Hi, Same with me. I received three emails all saying "page not found".

Nancy Deer With Horns
Deer With Horns Native American Indian Site

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 8:31 AM

I got the 3 emails with a faulty link and then got my own email returned to me. I IM'd Neftis from here and got a lovely apologetic reply with the correct download URL. Simple really...

My Renderosity Store

FishNose ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 1:55 PM

Well I got the 3 mails too. And dead links every time :o( Since I actually do have the Yann hair, I'd love this to work out. :] Fish

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 2:10 PM ยท edited Sat, 28 January 2006 at 2:11 PM

Fishnose, I deleted mine, but maybe you can catch it before it gets flushed down into wherever those things go. ;)

Or as an alternative method, you could probably IM or email neftis or Clint about it...

Message edited on: 01/28/2006 14:11

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 4:17 PM

I IMed her here about the problem... suspected a glitch rather than a virus. I have other hair but not the Yann, so just deleted the emails. Clint needs to find the snag before other merchants send out update notices. (mental image is of a flour sifter with 3 layers of filters, and one of them has a hole in it and they are all constantly moving) Carolly

neftis ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 8:02 PM

Hello guys, just to let you know that it wasn't a virus. So don't worry about that.Like Clinth said, it has to do with an error in the script and the email has been sent 3 times altough I sent it only once!! There was no news at Polymage because I've created this update very fast this week and didn't really took the time to created a big news about it. I apologize for the troubles it caused everyone.If you try the link again it should now work.

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 3:15 PM

Yes, the link worked this timne around, thanks. :] Fish

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.