Tue, Oct 22, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: New Email Scam and PayPal Warning ***

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:24 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 4:31 AM

Well this one made it through the spam filters so I just thought I'd warn people of a new Scam Email trying to steal PayPal accounts.

The Email says in effect, "You have added a new Email account to your account: Please log in and verify it via this link:" and gives you a link and an email address that looks Russian, mine was ivanov@yahoo.com.

I Never log into any financial account via links in email though and only log in via my own already saved Bookmarks. So I did take the time to log in via my regular log in method and no such email had been added, as I suspected.

Just thought I'd post a heads up to help prevent anyone from being scared or fooled into giving thier information out via this scam.

Message edited on: 02/07/2006 10:25

Angel1 ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:28 AM

I received this one to and immediately contacted paypal who confirmed it was indeed a scam. :(

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:32 AM

I only figured since it slipped past Yahoo's Spam filters I'd test by logging in to see how many email accounts were on my account via my regular login method. It was, for me, a quicker solution than bothering asking them and waiting for a new email reply.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:33 AM
Site Admin

Yesterday I got soemthing similar only it was supposed to be from Amazon.com. Although I figured it was a scam (because the URL wasn't right), I clicked on it to see where it went, and it went to a page that looks exactly like Amazon.com's page. I also got one warning me to update my ebay account (sent to an email address that I've never used for ebay) Something to be very careful of.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:37 AM

Yeah I like getting the Amazon.com ones or any others that say my account at such and such place where I know I don't have an account at all comes in. Those are fun to laugh at!

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:43 AM

I love it when they address me by my proper first name, Templer, since my email begins with 'templer', then that must obviously be my first name...idiots. Yes, I've received the eBay, Amazon, and PayPal scum er scam emails. As Mizrael, I always go to my account through browser bookmarks no matter how "Urgent!" the email proclaims. Robert ;P

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

radstorm ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 11:46 AM

Yeah I been getting these every now and again also. It's not really new to me, I started getting them off and on about a year ago. What seems odd is they always start coming right after I purchase stuff with PayPal..either from eBay, or pay for stuff direct thru the PayPal site...hmmmm..inside job? Anyhow, I use my PayPal little as possible because of this stuff. Glad Renderosity don't demand we use it :0)

bushi ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 1:00 PM

About every other month I get an e-mail from "Citibank" asking to verify my account info. Ignoring the tell-tale signals like spelling errors and poorly constructed grammar, a big clue that it's a scam is the fact that I don't have an account with Citibank. Idiots!

SoulTaker ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 1:16 PM

no matter how good you are, one day they will catch you out, so try this,"DONT CLICK ON ANY EMAIL LINKS" even if it looks real, even if it is real. get out of the habbit

radstorm ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 1:32 PM

Yup..truth is..the real place will never contact you via email asking account info..they will only conduct business if YOU call or visit them by the way also beware of phone scams trying a similar thing..like the visa card one with somebody saying they are with the visa fraud division..and are trying to get your security code.. bottom line like SoulTaker said..just don't click them

ExprssnImg ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 2:00 PM

Poor Paypal I got it too, twice I think. I believe it was the same email both times. Nothing to do with my account of coarse. A clever scam no doubt. Once you enter your name and password then they can scam your account for real. Mine reads: verbadum You've added an additional email address to your PayPal account. If you dont agree with this email glasshk32@comcast.net and if you need assistance with your account, please click here to login to your account. To make sure you can use your PayPal account the next time you make a purchase, all you need to do is confirm or not your email address. If your email program has problems with hypertext links, you may also confirm your email address by logging in to your account. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team ---------------------------------------------------------------- Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page. ---------------------------------------------------------------- PayPal Email ID PP059 RZZJKUDTTKCFYEPGMIYSYUGMIZSJQFLPGYXMRL

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 2:24 PM

Yep, got one myself yesterday. I forwarded it to Paypal and deleted it. I never click links in email. I always go to the site and check for myself. Clicking links is a bad, bad, bad thing :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

usslopez ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 4:32 PM

Last week I got one from E-Bay from someone who won something I had up for auction and they wanted to know how I was going to ship it and how soon. I didn't have anything up for auction but when I went to the page of course it was one of those phishing(?)scams. That one was a first for me.

My RMP Store ; My Free Stuff

dasquid ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 4:54 PM

Yeah they are hoping to get computer/net novices to screw up and send them all that info because they dont know any better. I got a call the other day from someone claiming to be citibank telling me I was "selected" to get a no intrest visa card, I listened to them and confirmed a couple basic items till they asked for my birth date and I started wondering how the hell they got this info so I told em I didnt need a credit card and hung up without letting them say anything else.

stephaniebt ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 6:13 PM

My husband got conned by an email purportedly from Amazon.com to verify his credit card number. He clicked the link in his email and was taken to what looked exactly like Amazon.com and provided his credit card number. I saw what he was doing and tried to stop him but it was too late. He had to cancel his credit card five minutes later, after he called Amazon and found out he was duped.

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 7:48 PM

I avoid the use of PayPal and eBay because of the constant flow of phishing expeditions in their name. Neither operation seems overly concerned that fakirs using their logo are raiding their customer base.

Gordon

artistheat ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 8:59 PM

What I've learned about paypal when they send you email they will put your real name on top of the letter....If it starts as Dear Paypal Customer then it's a SCAM...Beware!

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 9:01 PM
Site Admin

Also, (and this is tru with any and all businesses), they never send an email instructing you to "click on this link nad log in".

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

ExprssnImg ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 9:13 PM

good to know

MaryK ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 9:25 PM

Caught it when I got it considering my Ebay & PayPal are two different emails.

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 9:50 AM

Remember, NEVER, EVER click an e-mail in a link. Always log onto the site through the bookmark in your browser or by typing in the address (paypal.com). Always pass your mouse over the link to see where it actually goes. In these phishing e-mails, the link will go to some screwy URL. since it slipped past Yahoo's Spam filters I've found the the Yahoo filters are very poor. Every day, I get 5 to 10 spam e-mails in my INBOX (out of 15 new messages). Why are these messages sent to my inbox and not my Bulk Mail folder? Why aren't the messages deleted before they even arrive in my account? In my other Yahoo account, I routinely get 20-25 spam messages in my inbox... which is usually 100% of the mail in my inbox. Again, why can't their filters tell that "Generric V!agrra" is a spam message? And their "address blocking" feature is even more of a joke when you consider the fact that most spammers use almost random e-mail addresses. Blocking an address like "qqww6252HHS@comcast.com" won't help to stop spam. Back to the topic, though: It is probably hard for Yahoo (and other ISP's) to block these phishing e-mails since the messages look just like the real things... and may even forge the company's "trusted e-mail" flags. If Yahoo starts to block these messages, PayPal (and Citibank's) real e-mails may not get through. --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.