Sat, Sep 21, 9:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Newbie seeking Poser assistance!!

LadySythe ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 1:51 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:04 AM

Im not new to Rend. But Im new to Poser. I now have Poser 6 and have collected nearly a gig of characters and goodies...but the big problem I have...is where do I stick the new characters, such as Daz3ds Vicki3, Mike3 and Aiko3? They arent in .zip files but .exe... I think the Poser FAQs I found will help me with placing the other stuff. Thanks! Lady Sythe

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:03 PM

The .exe files from Daz are self installing. They're setup to install the the runtime of your choice.

Gill

LadySythe ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:08 PM

Alrighty. Its all quite intimidating! Ill see what happens... (tries again)

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:18 PM

Good luck :)

Gill

LadySythe ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:22 PM

Got that... But now where do I put the free Daz Mike & Vicki textures? ahem Learning to use another program as big as Photoshop is rather...fun (says with sarcasm) lol

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:32 PM

are they from Daz or somewhere else? If they're Daz, just install them the same as you did for the characters. If you bought them chances are they SHOULD install correctly - just point winzip to your poser runtime If they're downloaded freebies - some install correctly as above but it's best to unzip to your desktop then manyually drag the folders to your poser runtime. Open each folder until you get to the final one - eg runtime>libraries>pose>freevickytexture, then do the same in your poser folder - and drag 'freevickytexture' folder to the Pose folder in your runtime Ah, sorry hope this makes sense - now this is why I'm not big on tutorials LOL!

Gill

LadySythe ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:36 PM · edited Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:39 PM

file_325824.jpg

Ehh... I think I got it... lol Yes, theyre from Daz. I downloaded them along with the free Vicki and crew. They dont open like they should - like how the Vicki/Mike exes did. They want me to choose a folder to stick them in. Yes, it says templates, but I also need help for the textures... Kinda reminds me of the time I had trouble with Terragen :p

Message edited on: 02/11/2006 14:39

asbesti ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 2:42 PM

Most of the freebie textures and other stuff has been zipped in way that only thing you need to do is to extract them with "use folder names" option checked into your Poser 6 folder (place where runtime folder is).

logansfury ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 3:35 PM

What you have there is the DAZ installer for the texture TEMPLATES :) These are the blank templates, showing you the location and border outlines of the various material groups of the character it is for. If you decide to explore making your own textures, these are what you will paint or paste photos of skin, hair/fur or bodysuit fabrics on. The reason it isnt automatically going somewhere specific in your Poser folder is because its more of a "merchants or artists resource" than an actuall widget used by Poser itself. So you can extract it anywhere you wish to have your templates, just so you remember where to send Photoshop or PSP when you need to open one and begin texturing :) Welcome to Rosity!

logansfury ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 3:37 PM

Oh, for completed textures applied to these templates and ready to apply to V3 within poser, search right here in RO freestuff for "V3 tex" or some similar texture description and you should find many many free content files to work with :)

LadySythe ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 4:25 PM

Oh Ive found TONS already! I just dont know where the heck to put everything! :-s Sure Im using Posers zip install option, but I have some files that are either .exe or look like those installer things - the pc with a box sitting in front of it...??? I attached another example what Im talking about... Is there a guide that tells me where I put all this stuff - those I have to put in folders myself? Oh what fun... rolls eyes LS

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 4:41 PM

The ZIP files you're displaying already have the correct folder hierarchy. Just unzip them to the Poser root folder (probably C:Program FilesPoser 6) and everything goes where it should. The DAZ installers (executables): just run them. They'll find out for themselves where Poser is located and install everything in the correct location.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 10:51 PM

know what you mean, I just burned CD #150 (dang things do pile up).
I'm shocked, shocked that noone's referred her to Doc Geeps' poster on where files go. There should be a link in the title of the forum.
Note- some of these things don't zip where they're supposed to. So the Geep tutorial will help you out with which extensions go where.
now one thing that gets confusing quick is having multiple versions of software (I have Pose 3, 4, and the latest Daz | Studio [so sue me..;]). One thing that someone tipped me off to is unzipping everything to a temp folder, and moving them as you wish over to the appropriate folders..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.