Wed, Sep 18, 5:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Do it with this photo..a DITI for photog forum..mess with it.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 9:44 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 9:51 PM

The PSP forum has used a DITI, or Do It To It where an image is posted and members redo and work as they see fit.

Do you want to try it with this one? The goose in water was likely one of the very first shots taken with my D70 when it was brand spanking new. Too many reflections..looked ok in the viewfinder. Too little subject matter..could have deleted but kept for some reason. EXIF is not like I would do it today: Auto Exp, Metering by "pattern", f/6.3, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, 105mm.

The exposure would be differnt today and the metering method in the first place.

Do what you wish with this shot before I delete it alltogether from this pc storage. Go for it! See if a decent image can be salvaged or if it is ready for delete already. TomD'Art.

Message edited on: 02/10/2006 21:44

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 9:46 PM

file_325692.gif

Sorry, need the pic don't we....oops.

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 10:00 PM

file_325693.gif

... just an attempt .... :)

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 12:06 AM

file_325694.gif

Another loch ness monster sighting!

coolj001 ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 1:23 AM

file_325695.gif

Modified Message2579027.jpg

aangus ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 9:20 AM

file_325696.gif

I tried a few different crops and curve adjustments. I wasn't too pleased... so rather than just closing it, I set fire to the bushes. ...Well you said to do as we see fit!!!! P.S. the goose was not cooked , there were no animals harmed in this postwork...Hee hee. But hey! I'm a secret arsonist..I can't help it!!!

Misha883 ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 10:09 AM

file_325697.gif

Never throw ANYTHING away! Biggest "problem" here, if any, seems to be separation between the goose head/neck and the background. I've been playing some with curves in L*A*B mode to selectively change contrast. [Great book by Margules (SP?) goes into much detail.] Final treatment of course depends on mood artist wants to show: natural/subdued, bright, antique. [I liked solrac_gi_2nd's treatment; could use a short explanation of what was done...] And, if you'd burned the bushes BEFORE taking the shot, the composition may have been better, and we could have avoided the war in Iraq...

Drea71 ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 11:23 AM

file_325698.gif

I just looooooooooooooove threads like this one :-)

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 12:37 PM

Yikes..now I will have to do one myself on my photo..Drea the faded old photo look is nice. To me the original has too much going on..the reflections were stronger than expected and the goose does blend into the bg. This is fun! Tom.

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 3:58 PM

Michael wants to know what I did ... and I'll try to explain.

1.- I used PSP X;
2.- I did an obvious crop to follow the rule of the thirds as the duck is one of the main subjects;
3.- I used the digital noise removal tool;
4.- I used automatic balance colour control to achieve 'pure whites';
5.- I used soft focus (30%) to 'smooth' water 'waves';
6.- ..... that's all .......... :)

I do love these kind of threads as they may turn into real challenges and be in an excellent exercise to 'study' a photo and take 'advantage' of the most important details;
... like any other work of art there is not just one interpretation and the final word is the author's one.

I thank Tom for this 'challenge' thread.

Carlos.

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2006 at 7:24 PM

file_325699.gif

OK, I had to do one..the best efforts are already done! Including that bush that is STILL burning on biblical scale. Soo..I tried a bw with crop. Noise in this one and in the original taken some time ago with my old Minolta F100. The goose is a bit too soft in this attempt. This is bw with curves first, then some softening gradient then crop and here 'tis. This is not a good one but is something...yes, Carlos, this is not a bad way to see what can be picked and used for the best in detail. That is an attribute you show in your images.

firestorm ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 4:19 AM · edited Sun, 12 February 2006 at 4:21 AM

file_325700.gif

ok, had to have a go at this...here's my attempt :) new layer with hue/saturation...completely desaturated; then new layer with hue/saturation with colorise hue adjustment and then cloned out the rock...also darkened the edges.

Message edited on: 02/12/2006 04:21

Pictures appear to me, I shoot them.   Elliot Erwitt

Misha883 ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 6:18 AM

"I used the digital noise removal tool; I used soft focus (30%) to 'smooth' water 'waves';" Ah! Nicely done!

bentchick ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 6:03 PM

file_325701.gif

Fun stuff!!!! Thanks for letting me put in my two cents! I went the artistic route..... which is what I do to alot of picures that just don't stand up alone! Thanks again!

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

TomDart ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 7:39 PM

Bentchick, your could be a watercolor wash...neat to see what others do with this image.

Radlafx ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 12:29 PM

file_325702.gif

My turn ;^]

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 12:36 PM · edited Mon, 13 February 2006 at 12:50 PM

file_325703.gif

Very cool to see what was done. Just had a little fun here... Looks like we had a similiar idea Dovid. =]

Message edited on: 02/13/2006 12:50

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Radlafx ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 3:13 PM

file_325704.gif

Yea kort, I guess mac brains think alike. I did everything non-destructively in Motion-2.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.