Sat, Sep 21, 6:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Nostril Glow in Poser 5

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 8:43 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:43 AM

I know this has been talked about so many times until everyone is sick about it, but I've tried using the no glow props and want to achieve better renders than what I've been getting. I've searched and read the tutorials I could find here but I need one that I can use in Poser 5. Again sorry about bringing this topic up again and all help will be very much appreciated by someone looking to achieve higher quality work.

Message edited on: 02/12/2006 20:44

MaryK ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 9:26 PM

I use Travellers from Morphworld

pteryx ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 11:34 PM · edited Sun, 12 February 2006 at 11:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2577132

Have a look at this thread (it's the most recent one here) dealing with the 'glowing nostril' problem:

http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2577132

If that doesn't solve the problem, search here using "nostrils". There are several good threads dealing with this. (edited to correct hyperlink)

Message edited on: 02/12/2006 23:41

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 1:26 AM

Thanks MaryK and pteryx, I have used the prop but wanted something that gave a little better results when rendered(definitly no offense intended to Traveller as I am a very big fan of his work.). I have read tutorials listed on this forum and have used them as best as I'm capable of. I will contact one of them in regards to zooming the shadow cam in on face(as I get very weird shadows around the eyelashes and eyes).

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 9:21 AM

I was the one asking this before.. I tried that no glow thing..but all it did was put a big scratch on V3's nose..lol I also like Traveller's stuff..maybe that just was not made for Pro Pack.. or I am applying it at the wrong stage of rendering..I dunno The lighting technique works..but will maybe be a problem if I want to animate..I will probably have to redo the lighting each frame I guess :0| Maybe we could use a tutorial about how to fix it in the texture..by repainting that one little area..or darkenng it.. anybody? ;0)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 1:30 PM · edited Mon, 13 February 2006 at 1:36 PM

file_326024.jpg

Gosh - I hate to give it to you because this is SUCH a hack. But here ya go. Took me five minute in photoshop. Save this image in a good place of your choosing.

Load this into an Image_2D node. Set the intensity somewhere between .75 and 1.0 - I found .85 works good.

There are several ways to use it. Here are two:

1. Plug directly into the diffuse_value and specular_value
  2. Use color math node to multiply this times your texture.

Note this mask is for V3 only. Other characters will require a different mask. NOTE: You must put this into the texture for SkinHead AND Nostrils.

Message edited on: 02/13/2006 13:36

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 1:33 PM

file_326025.jpg

The results speak for themselves. Guess this would work pretty good for animators. This render has NO shadows turned on.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 1:58 PM

I probably posted in the wrong place about the texture I guess..I don't have Poser 5, just Pro Pack :P But can the above idea be used there too, and if so how?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 2:15 PM

Alas, the trick with the color math does NOT work in DAZ|Studio, Poser 4, Pro Pack, or Poser Artist. What you CAN do is take the head texture map into Photoshop/PSP, add the "shadow mask image" as a second layer, multiply the layers and save as a new head texture map, one that you only apply to the nostril material.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 2:19 PM

ah..ok thanks svdl..again :0)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 3:42 PM

Correct svdl - that was the 3rd technique - to hack the texture outside of Poser altogether. However, you MUST apply it to the head as well as the nostril. The reason is that the "nostril" material zone doesn't actually include the entire nostril. If you use my little darkening plugs there only on the nostril, it won't shade nicely into the skin around the nostril. BTW: I'm not getting email from the ebot telling me that others have replied. I'm certain the "Notify" option is checked and yet I'm not getting notified. This has been going on for about a week. So if I seem to ignore you, I'm not intending to :)

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 4:27 PM

ok this is what I did..I loaded the v3 head texture in psp 6..then I loaded Bill's nostrils in..I saved Bill's nostrils as a mask..then applied it to the original V3 head..but the nostrils still came out white..I assume I am still doing something wrong.. When saving the mask..I check marked the "Source luminance" box only..should I have check marked one or more of the others as well..like invert mask data, any non-zero value, or source opacity..or not checked the one I said?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 4:33 PM

I'm not familiar with PSP. Here's what I'd do in photoshop. Load your texture. Load my nostrils. Rescale my nostrils to match your texture. Copy the nostrils. Paste as new layer into the texture. Set the layer blending mode to "Multiply". Adjust the opacity of the multiply layer to suit your taste. Flatten the image. Save the resulting modified texture in a new file. Use that file in your render.

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 5:02 PM

I dunno Photoshop either, Bill :0( but some of the commands may be similar.. I am still debating just to get the PSP paintbrush and just paint her nostril textures black..lol

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 5:53 PM

My apologies bagginsbill, I didn't want you to reveal any secret techniques you didn't want to. I'm still not that familiar with Poser 5's functions such as how each camera works and how to adjust them and the lighting to create more improved and realistic renders. Thank you for the tip and everyone else for the replies and help given.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 6:38 PM

Heheh - Painting what you want directly onto the texture is no secret. It is just HACKERY. Not that it's going to come up, but if you were to use this hacked texture and you intentionally shine a light up her nose (you know, the summer camp spooky flashlight scene), then it will stay dark even though it is SUPPOSED to glow. But I digress ...

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 7:03 PM

file_326026.jpg

I keep having these strange shadows show up in render. Just wondering if it's due to my lack of understanding on how to zoom in on the figures face with the shadow cam. Below are images of the render and the settings for the shadow cam. I'm simply lost on what to do.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 7:06 PM

file_326027.jpg

sorry here is the image with the shadow cam settings

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 7:41 PM

bkmrk

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 12:11 AM

file_326028.jpg

I rendered again this time using the Firefly renderer and it came out better.

Indoda ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 10:55 AM

Hi Bagginsbill, Where would I link that into your translucent textures? The present diffuse and specular are 0.0. Those spaghetti strings (again LOL) get so tied up!

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

Indoda ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 11:14 AM

file_326029.jpg

OK, this is what I've got so far. Plugged the nostril node as per recipe. Plugged the skin head node only into the spectacular_ & changed value 0.1

Just a quick render - is it OK?

- Albert Einstein

Indoda

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 1:46 PM

Indoda - Are talking about my big spaghetti shader for improved SSS? That one does not use the ordinary diffuse or specular channels at all, so plugging in there and setting to .1 would mess things up. As you can see, you have too much specular now. To apply the nostril node into my complex texture do the following: 1) Add the nostril 2d Image node. 2) Find the Simple_Color node that connects to the Spots node. 3) Connect a Color_Math node between the Simple_Color and the Spots. 4) Set both colors on the Color_Math to white. Set the Math_Argument to "Multiply". 5) The first color on this multiply should connect to the spots. 6) The second color on this multiply should connect to the nostril image node. 7) Find the Specular and Blinn nodes (near the bottom I think). Connect the nostril image node directly into the Specular_Color of those two nodes. What this will do is darken the texture and prevent specular highlighting. For V3, this modified texture should go on the materials for "SkinHead" and "Nostrils".

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 1:57 PM

file_326030.jpg

Indoda your image looks like your lights are altogether too strong. If that is my shader, the skin is being washed out by the lights. Your image looks like mine on the right. It should more like the one on the left.

Both of these were done using the nostril mask technique applied to my complex shader as I wrote in post #23 - no shadows were generated in this image.

Indoda ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 2:30 PM

@Bagginsbill Thank you so much - off to try it now (can't you tell I used to a Chef) Spaghetti strings! I also used to write code too - in the good old GWBasic days (Spaghetti code ruled! LOL) Yes, my lights are far too bright. I've turned them down a good 20%

- Albert Einstein

Indoda

RAMWorks ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 3:24 PM · edited Sun, 03 December 2006 at 3:25 PM

file_361302.jpg

> Quote - Alas, the trick with the color math does NOT work in DAZ|Studio, Poser 4, Pro Pack, or Poser Artist. What you CAN do is take the head texture map into Photoshop/PSP, add the "shadow mask image" as a second layer, multiply the layers and save as a new head texture map, one that you only apply to the nostril material.

Actually a DAZ Studio user that's doing some work for Netherworks figured out that you can get overlays in DAZ Studio.  Say you want to apply the anti nostril glow,

1. Go into the Surfaces tab, Advanced view,
  2. Click on the down arrow in the Diffuse Strength (NOT Diffuse Color),
  3. Browse to where you have that file and apply it to the Nostrils and Skin head (use Ctrl click to select them both and apply the texture file at the same time! 😉 )
  4. Render!!  😄 

See image to see the results and the settings beside it! 

All the best

Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

RAMWorks ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 3:27 PM

file_361304.jpg

Here is the same render without the Anti Nostril Glow applied! 

(can't have more than one image uploaded at a time?  That's lame!)

Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 3:55 PM

I must be missing something, I just found something in the Material room that lets me texture the nostrils black, and it works for me..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 10:35 AM

Just incase in p6 users stumble upon this thread: 

By turing on AO...you defeat nostril glow.

I'll go beat myself for the rhyme now.

Tirjasdyn

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.