Sun, Oct 6, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question about props, walls etc. obstructing lights

linkdink ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 10:04 AM ยท edited Tue, 13 August 2024 at 7:51 PM

When using walls and large props, they often block my lights from properly lighting my figures as intended. Is there a workaround? Do you have to make two passes, ie., render the figures properly lit, without the props/walls, then composite them into the fully lit scene? Or am I missing something more basic? Thanks for any enlightenment.

Gallery

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 10:20 AM

The obvious choice would be to change your lighting from infinite lights to spots or point lights. That way, you can place them at a specific point in the 3d space, within the walls you have constructed. Infinite lights are only really worth using if you're trying to achieve an outdoor lighting look, where the light source (eg: the sun) is so far away, and give out so much light, that allocating it a specific point is redundant. For other uses, such as studio lighting or interiors with walls and ceilings, infinte lights just don't work. Of course, if you're determined to use the infinite lights, then going to your walls, clicking on the 'properties' tab, and deselcting 'casts shadows' will also knock them out of the game. Hope this is of use to you. Jonthecelt

billisfree ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 10:32 AM

Go to the wall's prop property. Click on: Cast shadows to turn off the shadow effects. Presto! No shadows from the walls!

linkdink ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for your replies, glad to learn the solution was so easy! doh! jonthecelt: uh, the choice maybe "obvious" to you, but it wasn't to me, and that's why I was asking.

Gallery

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 2:35 PM

Sorry, linkdink, I meant no disrespect. I was thinking as I typed. When I said 'the obvious choice', what I meant was, 'the first possible solution that immediately jumps to my mind'... I did NOT mean that you were in any way deficient ion not knowing. There is a hell of a lot I'm still learning about this wonderful beast, and most of what I pass on is simply what I have learned from others here in the forums... and i've been using the damned thing since versino 1, almost ten years ago! :) jonthecelt

billisfree ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 7:20 PM

no problem... I'm in same boat as you. I keep asking dumb questions too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.