Fri, Sep 20, 1:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:21 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Virtual Tales - looking for serialized stories - also editors and artists

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 08 March 2006 at 7:55 PM ยท edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 2:42 AM

Attached Link: http://www.virtualtales.com

Writers wanted apply now!

Virtual Tales is an e-publisher of serialized novels/novellas spanning a variety of fiction genres and styles. We do not accept erotica, excessively violent or otherwise X-rated works, or fan fiction (fiction based upon properties which the author does not own). While serials don't have to be completely written before you submit them, we will only sell installments that are already written. (That is, we won't sell any issues of your serial in advance.)

We'd love to see your previously published serials (through former sites such as KeepItComing.net), as well as completed original works (novels or long novellas) that can be serialized. We'd also love to see stories with at least 34 installments already completed. We will consider reprints, but the author must own the electronic rights to the story. And, of course, we're open to new story pitches!

Each installment (or issue) runs about 1,000 to 2,000 words, and two installments are sent to readers per week. That's why we require at least 14 finished installments of a serial before we'll put up a new serialized work for sale. New installments must be submitted in batches of 10, because that's how they'll be sold.

Virtual Tales pays through PayPal, so authors must have a PayPal account. We pay the author 60% of all subscription sales (after PayPal fees) on a quarterly basis, with 20% going to your editor, 10% to your cover artist and the remaining 10% going towards maintenance and operating expenses for the website.

We purchase exclusive worldwide electronic serial rights to each story. Authors are free to pursue print opportunities while the story is running on our web site, and if your story is sold for print publication, we'll happily link to the publisher's web site as long as a reciprocal link is given. All rights revert back to the author should the story be removed from the Virtual Tales web site. Authors may request that a story be removed from the web site, and we'll remove it within thirty (30) days of the request, but all outstanding subscriptions must still be filled.

To send a story for consideration, send a submission package to submissions@virtualtales.com containing:

In the body of an email:

A 40-word, promotional-style "quick teaser" story blurb for web copy -- sell us with this blurb like you'll sell potential readers with it!

A short summary of the story (250-500 words).

A brief excerpt from the story.

Any previous publication information on the story, including where and when it was published, if applicable.

An outline/overview of the entire story, and either your best guess at how many installments it will run, or, if it's finished, how many installments it breaks up into. (Most serials run 70-100 issues, but we have no set length limit.)

Whether the story is complete and, if not, how many installments have currently been written.
A short author bio (100-500 words).

Include as attachments the first four (4) installments of the serial (1,000-2,000 words each). Please submit your issues using our template, either the Word 97 version or the Word XP/2003 version.

They just started so this might be an opportunity to get in at the start of a new venture (which can be dangerous or invigorating, depending on your risk taking nature).

micsteel ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2006 at 9:18 PM

This would count as "previous publication" to many print publishers, I believe, which would reduce the chance of getting the same work in print. I wonder what kind of circulation they'll get? It could bring income on works that are getting rejected for print... :)

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2006 at 9:21 PM

Attached Link: http://inkspotter.com/

Yes, that's true. But for people who haven't yet been successful at publishing, this might be a break through to getting published which would give them a track record of success. They are a paying site. It's not for everyone, obviously. BTW, one of the editors also puts out the Inkspotter newsletter, which is quite informative.

micsteel ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2006 at 9:44 PM

I checked out the website--Hard to see anything amongst all the advertisements! :D and finally found the newsletter... but you have to sign up to view even a sample? Not worth my time; I've already plowed through page after page of ad-laden fluff! Grr! How about http://www.sfwa.org/writing/ ? Free access there. Or http://www.toasted-cheese.com/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.