Mon, Oct 21, 10:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: OT - C Drive Crash / C Drive Not Visible - Tips?

usslopez ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 1:18 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:03 PM

I turned on my computer this morning and only the Sony splash screen stayed on .. after several tries to boot I realized that my computer had crashed (again but different from the last time). I took my hard drive over to my friends computer and plugged it in as the primary and it would not boot, plugged it in as the slave and the drive did come up but only my second partition is visible, the D:drive. My C drive is not visible at all, no operating system, not even the gigs are showing up. Have any of you had the same problem? Do you have any tips or solutions besides not to cry? haha! I learned my lesson the last time and all my programs and stuff are on D which is visible and transferable plus all my Poser, and important things are on seperate external drives. The last time my computer crashed I could see the C drive so all I did was a disk recovery with my CD's that came with the comuter but this time no operating system is not visible and it will not boot beyond just turning he comuter on. Thanks in advance for any tips! Vic

My RMP Store ; My Free Stuff

BARTWORX ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 4:54 PM

One thing needed to know is the OS your running. The sony splash is A: your monitor? B: your bios screen C: a slpash that some videocard's have on them. When the D drive partition is shown on a other computer when the drive is master and boot drive its possible that the boot record of the C: partition is bad. 1st you got to save al you can from the D: part. 2nd you can run defrag on the whole drive when in other PC as an slave drive. But to say and give more advice i realy need more info. At this point there about 1000.000.00 reasons why you got this problem. Chris

Not used anymore

usslopez ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 6:16 PM

Fixed. like just right now! The problem was hard, not even my friend's hard drive would boot up my computer but the solution turned out to be simple. After hours of trying things, switching hard drives, unplugging cmos? plug I wrote on another forum about having several external hard drives and thought well, maybe that's the problem so I unplugged them and restarted and my computer stared right up and the safe mode or last config screen came up. I don't know why I didn't do that this morning. ugh! Thanks for the response bartworx. I was at my wits end, I thought I had a fried motherboard.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 7:45 PM

hmm..wonder if your boot order changed; if it looked to a (non-bootable) external drive, that could be something to look at..that's not it, but sometimes it's 'crazy enough to be true'..;)
I would highly recommend backing up everything on C, and thinking about a new HD.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

usslopez ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:39 PM

I know. Two years ago my monitor fried right before my eyes and last year had had a major HD error but I recoverd from with little loss of data and now this. I thought I was going to have to get a new computer.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 4:25 AM

Yes, I agree, new computer is in order now. Back up your stuff. Sharen

Jules53757 ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 5:07 AM

Computers are sometimes crazy, found a but last week too. When I wanted to backup my Poser, which is installed on an external drive to have it with me wherever I am, some files I couldn't copy, path too long. I even wasn't able to move them on the drive. A check of the disk ended after hours with no errors. After several different tries I opened the case and found the connector for the drive was a little bit loose jointed. Corrected this and everything worked well again. OK, would have been no big lost, the last back up was only 1 week ago but ...

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Turtle ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 11:05 AM

This happen to be serveal times, appear, disappear. By the time I back up Poser, I found out later it was corruped. Then after a month of this it crashed.

Love is Grandchildren.

usslopez ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 7:25 PM

Well I got a new second hard drive installed. I have Poser running on that now. I was just making myself sick thinking I would have to buy another computer if my motherboard had fried. I just put more memory in Janurary.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.