Tue, Oct 22, 6:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Another Poser Bookcover sighting. :)

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:20 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:29 AM

Saw this one in the bookstore today. :)

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:24 PM

Quote - Saw this one in the bookstore today. :)

Send it to DAZ for a gift voucher. ;) Hehe.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:35 PM · edited Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:37 PM

I'd have suggested that to anyone else,  LOL

EDIT:  I like it but I'm not crazy about her face.  Her eye balls are crooked and her face is too "stoney". She's being embraced by a hunky guy, her face isn't expressing that at all.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:52 PM

Quote - I'd have suggested that to anyone else,  LOL

Which is why I suggested it to Anton.  :D  I do believe the gent has a very sharp sense of humour. :)

My Store

My Gallery

pteryx ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:54 PM

LEDA SWANN???!!!! Oh, my gawd......did Zeus 'ghost write' the thing, too? ROFLMAO!!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:56 PM

Quote - > Quote - I'd have suggested that to anyone else,  LOL

Which is why I suggested it to Anton.  :D

hehe, I know  :b_tonguewink:

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 7:01 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I'd have suggested that to anyone else,  LOL

Which is why I suggested it to Anton.  :D

hehe, I know  :b_tonguewink:

Ewww. You don't keep that in your mouth, do you? :D

My Store

My Gallery

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 8:21 PM

there is a lady in one of the forums who does those bodice-ripper covers for a living. I can't recall if it were the writers forum or some other.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 10:11 PM · edited Wed, 12 April 2006 at 10:11 PM

:) hehe

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Arien ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 3:26 AM

Attached Link: Alice Unchained

Actually, for what the people from Ellora's Cave said in an interview, they're phasing out the Poser covers, because apparently the stores say they don't like the "dead doll" look. *sigh* This sucks, because effectively the few that are still struggling to avoid having zombie stare are ruining it for the others artists that can produce good stuff. Worse still, I can't count the amount of covers for those I've seen using default Mike and Vicky. But as in everything, there's good and bad.

Anton, there's quite a few companies that are using Poser artists for their book covers. I have been doing some myself (the link included is an example) and some of those you wouldn't believe. :P Send me an IM if you want more details, I can't talk about the ones that are on the pipeline or haven't been shown yet, but the latest one I've done was a riot :)

My store

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 3:31 AM

That's a beautiful render, but it troubles me whenever we can so easily "spot" a piece of art done with Poser.  Not to criticize the work done there, of course, because it really doesn't matter to the "mainstream" audience, who would obviously never know unless they've been exposed to the software.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

stephaniebt ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:12 AM

I always wear pigtails when I'm dressed up in formalwear.

Silke ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 5:56 PM

Quote - there is a lady in one of the forums who does those bodice-ripper covers for a living. I can't recall if it were the writers forum or some other.

Bodice rippers. Gawd how I HATE that idiotic term.

And btw - 99.9% of those "Bodice Ripper Covers" as you like to call them, are more tastefully done than most stuff in the galleries here.

Grr... that just really offends me.

I guess you must like it when people say "Oh. It's Poser. Anyone can do Poser. It has a "Make Art" button."

Same thing, in my opinion.

And no, it's not me doing covers for a living.

Silke

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 7:51 PM

Quote - Actually, for what the people from Ellora's Cave said in an interview, they're phasing out the Poser covers, because apparently the stores say they don't like the "dead doll" look.)

Well there is no denying that bookcover render is definitly a  "dead doll look".  That and the crooked eyes were the first thing I noticed. Now it's the only thing I notice.  What could have been a very nice pose/scene was ruined by those 2 things. I'm not sure how it got accepted as a final submission for a bookcover. Those are usually quite professional but this one screams amateur.

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:44 PM

Attached Link: Grave Silence

I did a bunch of covers for EC (see link above) and Cerridwen Press their more mainstream imprint. I do "bodice ripper" covers for a living as well as sci-fi fantasy ones all using poser (and photoshop and vue). Good effects can be gotten using Poser, you only get the 'dead doll' look if you don't put a little effort into it. :)

Most of my stuff you can see under my portfolio on my own website here http://www.skyewolfimages.com/

But I do have a couple up here at Rendo.

Mundania Press
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1138695
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1133924

Comic Book cover
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=964589

See, no dead dolls :D

Silke - don't let em get to you. :)

Admin: http://www.artistsagainstcensorship.com
Artist: http://www.skyewolfimages.com

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:47 PM

Hey anton, which bookstore? Maybe I should go looking for some of my covers LOL!

ju8nkm9l ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 11:24 PM

The romance book cover's woman has a victoria specific armpit to chest  distortion that looks very unrealistic and could have been postworked.  Her skin texture is not as detailed as the man's, and I think the lighting/shadowing on her could be improved somewhat.

I usually don't spend that much time improving the fine aspects of my renders as I do them for my own entertainment, but I'm sure if I were given a commission I'd be willing to spend the extra time.  I wonder if I could make some money making romance novel covers?  Does it pay well?  And is my art good enough for the job?

Any advice?

Gordon_S ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 8:42 PM

Yes, the "dead doll" look is operator error, not a Poser defect. I spend a fair amount of time on expressions for my characters. It isn't hard, though, and not all that time consuming.

http://www.fotoonz.com/FoToonZ/Imitating_Art.html

Gordon

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 8:44 PM

There's nothing I hate more than that blank stare that just screams I'm not real!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 6:03 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1118185

This gallery image would have been a stunning book cover :)

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 7:33 AM

The eyes on the cover have no highlights, with highlights they would look a lot more realistic and less dead doll.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 3:58 PM

my experience (with comic book artists) is that they are instinctively repelled by poser renders of expressionless zombie girls, and as graphic artists who have used pencils, inks and bristolboard all their lives, they have absolutely no knowledge of poser or other generators of machine-made images. unfortunately, poser users can get so caught up in the technical details of trying to get poser to do a presentable render, that they may consider facial expressions to be a waste of their valuable time. in one cartoon group, there's a guy who regularly posts renders that are ignored, because the artists there are too polite to tell him how bad his stuff is on so many levels, compared to a cartoon drawn by an actual human being. however, it is not too difficult for a poser user to get a very nice expression on a figure's face, hence it's really sad that most of them just try to slide by with a dull, staring zombie face instead. :lol:

Silke ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 8:49 PM

Quote - Silke - don't let em get to you. :)

It just does. I can't help it. :)
It stems from having been on both ends of the publishing industry, so I know how such comments hurt a writer, as well as the publisher. So yeah, I get a bit obsessive about it lol.
It's just not needed, just like we don't need the "Oh... Poser..." rolls eyes type comments from other members of the 3D community.

Mind you, I've once seen an animation on a "Maya Showcase"... and it was done in... Poser lol. It was Victoria and it was obvious. They might have animated it in Maya, but they didn't create the model. So where is the difference? (Wish I could find the link now but this was probably 2 years ago.)
I also know a lot of the cover artists work very hard on those covers. I used to do some myself, but we used to hire painters more than anything.
The "Dead Doll" look is a dead give-away. And it's not so very hard to fix that, even if you have to postwork it. What gave the cover away immediately was the use of the 3Dream hair. It's so overused that it immediately screams "POSER!" whenever you see it.

Silke

byAnton ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 9:27 PM

I liked the picture. Seems like many Poser images I have seen. There are things I might postwork, but that may not be what the artist wanted. Post work is a medium, and not always a must or even wanted.

Perhpas people were a bit unkind. Hey forums are like diaries.

Techware3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 9:38 PM

Quote - I always wear pigtails when I'm dressed up in formalwear.

I don't know why but that made me laugh my butt off.

JD Wohlever
Techware 3D

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 9:55 PM

Quote - This gallery image would have been a stunning book cover :)

You're not kidding. Superb picture.

My Store

My Gallery

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:39 PM

Heh. I wish 3Dream would do a lot MORE hair models. They're overused 'cuz they're excellent.

But it's true, though. You see the 3Dream pigtails a lot. I even use them with one of my characters.

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 5:25 AM

Silke: That's true, That and Quarker's models.  Grace Lion get's used more than just about anything. And thanks for the comment on Grave Silence :)

Anton: I wasn't trying to be unkind :) And that said, playing devil's advocate, most e-release publishers don't pay it's cover artists  oodles of money (at least to start) either so it's quite easy to get caught in the "you get what you pay for" trap, and throw a rushed cover out there trying to mass produce them in order to get paid more.

But, on the fliip side, if I hadn't done the best I could do for them at the time I wouldn't have been able to move up the pay scale to bigger and better things. :)

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 6:07 AM

Why does the book cover have an extra woman`s hand that looks like it is about to grope the woman?  Near the centre left of the picture.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 7:39 AM

Quote - Why does the book cover have an extra woman`s hand that looks like it is about to grope the woman?  Near the centre left of the picture.

That's  her hand.

Helen ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 10:27 PM

Quote - I always wear pigtails when I'm dressed up in formalwear.

lol I thought the same thing. helen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 12:00 AM

Because the Lesson is Seduction was to kick the competition to the floor and throw yourself in the arms of her man while she reaches for help getting up.....

Arien ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 3:34 AM

Because the Lesson is Seduction was to kick the competition to the floor and throw yourself in the arms of her man while she reaches for help getting up.....

LOL Anton!!

The real kick about these is that usually the author gives you their "vision" of what they want for the cover. It's up to you as an artist to either follow those instructions, or to create something in the same vein but different. I have to say that the two most satisfying images that I've done for covers came from not following the instructions, but using those to create something slightly different. The "Alice Unchained" cover that I linked above was one of those.

Right now I'm having an issue with a cover that I'm doing. While I understand why the author chose the scene, and I can see what she wanted to do, the problem is that the setting itself is awkward and not really working, at least according to what I can imagine can be done. But I lack enough of a frame of reference to put together something else that would work.

Doing these covers can be fun, can bring giggles -oh yes- but as any "pro" job, can also be a royal pain every now and then.

My store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.