Fri, Sep 20, 2:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Simon_P is the new LostPatrol

Simon_P ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 9:48 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:57 AM

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules

aangus ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 2:47 PM

Welcome back Simon, now lets see some of these excellent (if Eastcoaster) landscapes of yours again.

Heres one for you...

A friend of ours is getting married, my wife is the bridesmaid and my daughter the flowergirl. Right out the blue yesterday my wife told me I've been nominated (by her) to be their photographer on the big day, (something I've never done - or considered).

So I seized the moment and said well, I'll have to get a new camera for that....to do it properly like!

So I was thinking of something up to £300.00 I would also go second hand (i.e. Ebay) and try a digital SLR.

Any tips on wedding shots and which camera would you go for in this range?

Again welcome back and looking forward to your posts again Mr Pole!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 3:15 PM

The new name suits you. ;^P

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 3:24 PM

Wow that’s a big question.

Nice of your wife to volunteer you for that lol

Photographing large groups of people isn’t something I have ever done, I would think though that getting the attention of them all is the biggest issue, there’s always some clever bugger (usually someone like me) looking at someone behind them lol

If I was doing it, I would take as many shots of each situation as possible as pick the best one from each set.

Also do some nice close ups of hands ring etc, signing their life away (oops I mean the register lol) cutting the cake etc.

When I am doing a shoot with models, I shoot each pose 3-4 times and pick the best one to use, after all it is for them mostly and not me, I am just there to provide a service. What I get out of it is some images for my portfolio.

If I remember right, you have or had a film SLR?, if that is so, and the lenses are compatible with a DSLR, that would be worth a look into.

If you have to start over, I am going to say look at the Canon DSLR's lol you know I should be a rep for them. Sensor wise IMO the Canon are the better ones, that said Nikon etc also produce great quality images.

I had a quick scoot on eBay and there are 20D’s going for around £400 and 10D’s for about £350 boby, if that is the case the 20D is the no brainer for an extra £50

I don’t know enough about the other brands to offer an opinion other than they all seem to have happy users that can produce good results.

I'm not sure I would risk a 2nd hand DSLR from eBay or anywhere for that matter unless you can actually see it, its condition and test it, believe me when I say repairing a DSLR in not cost effective, to the point that I had a problem with the shutter button on my 10D and Canon didn’t even bother fixing it, they just gave me a 20D instead (not that I was complaining you understand!)

I think you might be pushing your luck to pick up a second hand DSLR and lens for £300, but you never know until you look.

If you want to chat about it properly (in real time) IM me your phone number and I will give you a call one evening.

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 3:53 PM

Anthony

Sent you an e-mail

Simon

UKmac ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 9:25 PM

Simon, glad to see you are still around.

Anthony, good luck with the wedding shoot and the camera hunt. Be careful with e-bay, I purchased a 10D + lens from e-bay but I asked many questions including the seller to supply the serial numbers before purchase. It was surprising how sellers would not do this!! It took me about 4 weeks to find the right camera and seller, under £450 for body and lens plus extras 10 months ago. Good luck.

Steve

Margana ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 1:59 AM

Hi Simon.Welcome back.

Anthony,I have a reconditioned 10D that came with two Sigma lenses,for about 400 US...and so far it's fine.Maybe you'll get lucky too.

"No snowflake in an avalanche,ever feels responsible."
------Voltaire

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

aangus ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 5:21 PM

Thats cool, I've got plenty of time to decide what I need and how much I would want to spend. The wedding I was talking about isn't until next August.  I'll check out each of these. I suppose a good deal of drooling is all part of the game! At the same time we're off to Florida in June and it would be nice to have a new camara for that.   Cheers

Simon_P ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 6:59 PM

Drooling in indeed part of the game!

Its always better to take your time and look at everything carefully and decide what you want, it took me ages to decide on my first DSLR.

Happy hunting!

Well almost completed my webwide name change now!

It might be a different name but the same ole cynical me lol

Simon

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 26 April 2006 at 8:04 AM

Florida huh? Going anywhere near Boca Raton? If so, you should stop in and say hello. ;] Be sure to wear you face paint so I know it is you, heheh. Good luck deciding on a DSLR. It is a tough choice with all that is out there right now, but if you set a limit to how much you can spend, then you should get a better idea of your choices. Definitely get it before coming to the sunshine state! =]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.