Sun, Oct 6, 1:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: GeoControl

Dennis445 ( ) posted Sat, 22 April 2006 at 11:29 PM · edited Wed, 14 August 2024 at 6:22 PM

GeoControl has been released you can find it at http://www.cajomi.de/GeoControl/geocontrol.htm
It looks like a good tool, I tried the demo

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 22 April 2006 at 11:54 PM

I have just started investigating the Demo also. Will it be so superior to Carraras Terrain maker that the cost is justified?

bwtr

Dennis445 ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 12:11 AM

It looks like there is more control on the landscape with less effort. I just purchased the full version after playing with the demo. I have seen some great posts in the gallery from other users that were beta testing the program and it sparked my interest.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 12:26 AM

I just bought it too.  Thanks for letting us know.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 1:47 AM

Most envious of your ability to promptly buy stuff Shonner. My only and total income is US$20 approx a day on my pension.  A REAL value consideration of GeoControl would be most welcome.

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 2:43 AM

You wouldn't like the "shonnerism" I'm thinking of right now.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 4:11 AM

Wow!

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 6:28 AM

In case my sence of humour is not working for all please note I am obviously an Aussie--we see everything upside down!

My problem with Geo Control, at the moment ,is that we who have Carrara are mostly still struggling to get the best out of our programme like that already done by the top Carrara landscape artists, including Cajomi.  I have no problem with the Geo programmes quality but rather it's value as an addition to Carrara.

It seems complex to me or am I just a bit stuffy (thick!).

bwtr

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 7:57 AM

I haven't looked yet, but it would be useful to see come comparison to Ground COntrol as well. That is a plugin that seems well worth its modest price.

M

Dennis445 ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 11:36 AM

bwtr think of GeoControl as a helper tool for Carrara you dont need it but it is a good companion tool, Carrara is very powerful and has a great landscape editor GeoControl works a little different.

This program lets me generate landscapes and then tweek it to what I need without having to spend a lot of time learning a new system. It's easy or complex depends on how you want to use the program.

I havn't used Ground Control but I dont think it has a landscape editor, I could be wrong but I thought it was a converter.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 1:59 PM

I think what alot of the plugins come down to is they can make it easier or even possible to do something you had in mind. If you start doing alot of landscapes it may benefit you. I would try the demo. Altho reviews or tuts are always handy.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 3:34 PM

GeoControl is a stand-alone program.  It generates terrain for any 3D app, not just Carrara.  And it generates realistic terrains while most "terrain" apps can't.  GeoControl can only improve whatever 3D app you own. 

ren_mem ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 10:13 PM

It has some very interesting features. I will have to try it.
http://www.cajomi.de/GeoControl/geocontrol_features.htm

Just make it invisible.

cajomi ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2006 at 11:47 PM

For Carrara users there is a "Addtitional" folder inside GeoControl, which contains a standard scene for landscaping. It is build for seamless terrains.

The best is really to use this standard scene. Sun, haze and so on are done, also some shaders are added. It is optimized for the special seamless terrains of GeoControl. To get those, checke "seamless terrains" on the Terrain panel. Then export and import it.

A second "Sundown" scene is added.

GeoControl has a special chapter in the help for Carrara users. Read this one.
And at least, use the presets deliverd (filter presets).

Johannes Rosenberg
-cajomi-

LCBoliou ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 3:25 PM · edited Mon, 24 April 2006 at 3:28 PM

I just purchased GeoControl, and everything seems to work fine...that is until I select the brush tool and click on the map.  I get a dimwitted dialog box that states the "License name or the registration key was wrong. please try again."  Then, when again launching the program, it asks for your name and license key again!

Oh yes, I get an MS crash dialog after the dimwitted GeoControl announcement!

Not cool!

3.4 GHz P4, 3 GByte DDR2, Win XP Pro, NVIDIA 6600.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 4:04 PM

LC did you get your download from the email? If so, that's a bad one & you need to email Cajomi.  He had a correct version up a day back on his website.

I've used the brush tool & no re-register mess, that's why I ask.

Hope this helps :)

ren_mem ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, many people had this happen. There is supposed to be a fix.

Just make it invisible.

LCBoliou ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 10:12 PM

Thanks much dlk -- yes it does help!

This kind of thing simply shouldn't happen.  This is one of those instances when protection had priority over quality product delivery.

GeoControl looks like a great product, but I wish product protection would not transcend the customers interests.  I can understand a few glitches in software, but overt glitches caused by protection schemes I don't.

I sent Cajomi an email, and I know he will make everything fine.  ; )

cajomi ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 11:08 PM

This problem occurs only, because the upload to shareit was not done as it should, and so on their server the wrong version still stayed.

Johannes
-cajomi-

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 6:27 AM

I'm afraid my interest in throwing more money at Carrara plugins just evaporated. Apparently C5P and Hex have been acquired by the happy smiling crew of cutups at DAZ3D. So goodbye quality control and you can expect to see Hex 2 in, oh, 3 or 4 years. But that's a personal promise!!!!

My Hex 1 is now a $200 paperweight, and I haven't even opened the box.
M

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 7:53 AM

Mickmca,
What do you mean?  Geocontrol is not a plugin.  It is a stand-alone program.  The results can be used by Carrara, but they are also useful in the same way for Vue, Terregen, Bryce, and others.

Sort of like World Machine, except on steroids.

LCBoliou ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 10:04 AM

Quote - Yeah, many people had this happen. There is supposed to be a fix.

Cajomi fixed the problem I was having.   I must say GeoControl is probably the finest terrain generator around -- certainly for the money!

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 25 April 2006 at 11:11 AM

NOt a plugin.
My mistake. I'm still in shock over the Eovia announcement/rumor (I can't find Eovia's version, and I trust the DAZ version about as far as I can throw a used car salesman).

M

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.