Tue, Oct 22, 10:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: Making Poser Models

Circumvent ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 8:25 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:06 AM

If I wanted to make my own human models, what programs do I need to have.  I want to make a model from A to Z including the morphs and everything.  I want to learn, however I don't know what programs to use.  I know there are different ones but what would be good for a beginner.  TIA.
Adrian

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 9:03 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

..all while standing on one foot..;)  to quote Apollo 13  "You're worried about step 738..we're working on steps 2 and 3..;)"

Making a humanoid character is one of the hardest things to do. I've been modeling for about 4 years, and I'm nowhere near good enough (but that's my problem..;)

There's thousands of modeling programs out there, but many of them are made in Lightwave, Maya, and Rhino..all of which are more expensive than Poser.

However, just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's impossible. You can make models that can do what you want, but it's a few steps in there to do.

1st- find Dr. Geep's tutorials. He's made a few good ones that explain making models, from Poser props to final figure.  Everyone has their own sort of work flow, but the steps (as I've heard) would be create the model, make textures (UVMapping),'bone it', and try it out.

2nd- try some 3d modelers, cheap or free. Silo is about a hundred or so; Wings 3d and Blender are free (Quinlor has a Wings 3d tutorial that tells you how to create a character. Other people have used Metasequoia, Anim8tor, Truespace(older versions) the list goes on and on.

3rd- stop by the various forums for the people who use the programs above. I have Blender, but I find it a bit confusing, but someone else could have better luck explaining things.

it will probably take a few months to get all the details down, but if you can do it.  Good luck.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 9:04 PM

There are many modeling programs out there from free to a few thousand dollars. I have been modeling since last year and use Wings 3D, Amapi 6.1 (Both Free). And just purchased Carrara and Hexagon 1.2 last month plus Hexagon 2.0 this weekend. Daz3D has Hexagon 2 on sale right now for $1.99 for Platinum Club members.

Start with some tutorials and simple props to learn to basics of the program and modeling techniques.  For programs you will need a program suited for organic modeling. Hexagon is good and I have seen some fairly good models from Wings. You will need a UV Mapper program such as UV Mapper Classic or Pro. For morphs several of the modeling programs are capable of this. You will need Poser Pro Pack or above to rig and bone the figure. You will also need a paint program to create your texture maps ( Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop or Gimp to name a few)
And lot of free time to learn to model human figures plus the other softwares.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 1:36 AM · edited Mon, 01 May 2006 at 1:37 AM

Gerald Day has produced a few lo-res female figures in Anim8or (whis is free BTW), and it come relete with a few modeling tutorials.  I followed one once and made an articulated Gingerbread Man.  A human figure would be a bit more involved, but it IS do-able in Anim8or.
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Circumvent ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 4:45 AM

Thanks to everyone who as repsonded.  I'm going to get those proggies and work on them.  I want to learn so bad.  Thanks again.  I will book mark this page :biggrin:
Adrian

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:55 AM

www.secondreality.ch

The modeling is the easy part...

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 8:45 AM

Give yourself about 1,000 hours to practice an learn. Yeah, that's right 1,000 hours. It takes a long time and a lot of patience, but well worth it if your exacting and passionate.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.