Tue, Oct 22, 7:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: It

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 6:34 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 7:22 AM

Please can something be done about the amount of e-bots?

I am not as active on the forums now as I used to be partly because I now have become very selective to the posts I make due to the e-bot attack I get from a busy thread!

Can we not just get 1 e-bot from a thread that is posted to instead of for every post?

Today I have received almost 100 e-bots, 4 gallery and 80-90 form a few threads!

I know this has come up before but that was weeks ago, surely this isn’t that difficult to fix, every other forum I use can manage this.

I know what your thinking (just 37 posts lol) I have been here 3 years just changed my account.

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 6:36 PM

I second that.

I don't complain much but this really should be fixed imho.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 6:47 PM

Guys I'm gonna do my best to see if I can get this changed. I just throw my ebots straight into a delete folder since I get so many other emails (about 2500 per day) so I don't use the ebots for threads instead just try to keep up "my way", LOL.  But I understand the issue here and I will do my best okay?

Hey Tom, How ya doing?

Thanks

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 6:50 PM

hope you can Stacey, but your programmer has already stated this ain't changing.. he thinks it's ok.
personally I'm wondering how long until rendo is listed as a spammer...

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 6:52 PM

That’s fair enough, just please ask the other 700 members currently online not to reply to this thread :lol:

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:02 PM

LOL @ Simon_P

@Khai, I know what the programmer said BUT I'm going to cry, beg, plead, bat my eyes, whatever to see if I can get them to rethink this  :a_wink:

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:04 PM · edited Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:06 PM

Quote - hope you can Stacey, but your programmer has already stated this ain't changing.. he thinks it's ok.
personally I'm wondering how long until rendo is listed as a spammer...

Not only that surely this is an un-necessary draw on bandwidth?

I hope the programmer has a re-think on that.

Its all very well turning off e-bots, but then you have to trudge through the forum to find posts you have posted too and that takes just as long as sorting through all the redundant e-bots so there is no gain.

kawecki ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:29 PM

but your programmer has already stated this ain't changing.. he thinks it's ok

We can redirect our ebots to his email, in this way he will be able to enjoy the beauty of his work.

Stupidity also evolves!

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:29 PM

passes Stacey the Clue Bat
here.. beat him with this...

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:44 PM

"passes Stacey the Clue Bat"

LMAO

Perhaps william should  have a good game of baseball with Staceys Son.

That outta learn-him

8 )~
Hi Stacey.

Tom

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:45 PM

hahaha.. Well I'm not good with bats as some of you all  know. Still recovering from my 8 year old son popping me in the side of the face full swing with his baseball bat. Hopefully the mulit colored black, blue, yellow, purple look is in cause that has been me for two weeks, LOL

Anyhoo I think I'll stay away from the "clue bat" and use something else instead. Got any ideas? hahaha

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:46 PM

LOL Tom.. Cross posted with you.. Just Khai mentioning a "clue bat" made me duck my head, LOL

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:48 PM

eek! 2500 e-mails per day! it's enuff to drive one mad, I tell ya! p.s. sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident with the bat. hope it heals well, and the child can learn to avoid that in future.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:48 PM

heh heh

Timing could not have been better Stacey

8 )

Tom

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:55 PM · edited Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:57 PM

I know Tom, I cracked up laughing when I saw Khai's post it "hit" to close to home, hahahaha.

MissNancy, my son learned a valuable lesson about being more aware of what he is doing:) And yes 2500 emails a day, is overwhelming sometimes to say the least!!

Simon_P ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 8:06 PM

2500 e-mails a day is "just not funny" :lol:

I sympathize, 250 a day is plenty thanks!

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 9:34 PM

So...is that serious? I mean that the programmer thinks an ebot for each individual post is acceptable? If so, that's just bizarre, and he'd definitely be in the minority. Unlesss maybe he's some kind of visionary genius and all the rest of the world's BB programmers have it wrong....

lemur01 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 6:11 AM · edited Tue, 02 May 2006 at 6:12 AM

From Williamsn (the programmer)...

"Believe it or not, eBots are actually working six times faster than they were when you only got one eBot until you came back (I could explain it, but it would take a while and is confusing). We talked about this in a meeting and decided to leave eBots the way they are. We will be making no further adjustments to eBots."

Well let's hope for sanity's sake that he can be persuaded to change his mind.

Jack

modus0 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 7:05 AM

As someone else mentioned when he said that, it's probably because people aren't using them as much.

If 1/3 of the community bothers with them, of course they'll work faster. Doesn't mean it's better though.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 1:04 PM

"Believe it or not, eBots are actually working six times faster than they were when you only got one eBot until you came back (I could explain it, but it would take a while and is confusing). We talked about this in a meeting and decided to leave eBots the way they are. We will be making no further adjustments to eBots."

How to become an expert programmer in 15 days, but you need to read the whole book, the first pages are not enough!
The ebots are so fast now that they arrive faster than you are able to delete them, as result your inbox always grows.
According to engineering reports a car with square wheels is more stable than with circular wheels...........

Stupidity also evolves!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 1:11 PM

somehow I have managed to avoid receiving any e-bots, excepting the first day of the switch-over, when I received 10. perhaps the experts could prepare a tutorial on how to avoid the ebots. my technique, which may not work for others, is to uncheck the "notification box", which is always checked by default, even though I have disabled all ebots in all forums in my options.

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 1:30 PM

Quote - According to engineering reports a car with square wheels is more stable than with circular wheels ...

... and is best driven on a Cycloid road.

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 2:21 PM

A car must have only three wheels, with three whels is completely stable and you can know exactly how much weight each wheel has to support.
With four or more wheels you are creating more variables than equations available, so you don't know how much weight is in any wheel and must use tricky ways to solve this problem.

Stupidity also evolves!

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 3:31 PM

There's a well known downside to three wheelers.

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 6:19 PM

Quote - my technique, which may not work for others, is to
uncheck the "notification box",

That's what I do too, but it's a "least worst" dodge not an ideal solution.

I want to receive ebots, mainly for archival purposes. Renderosity now prevents this (unless I'm willing to spend hours sorting through zillions of ebots after just a night and a day - which I'm not!).

The current ebot set-up is so obviously wrong that no-one can seriously think it's OK. That does lead one to speculate that for some reason it can't be changed rather than won't be. Perhaps there is some technical limitation in the Bondware solution, or maybe it's part of Bondware's need to have a proprietry, commercial version of PHP...

elizabyte ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 7:22 PM

Quote - but your programmer has already stated this ain't changing.. he thinks it's ok

We can redirect our ebots to his email, in this way he will be able to enjoy the beauty of his work.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2006 at 3:35 AM

I have an idea...
For every redundant EBOT everyone here gets, we should all send an email to admin@renderosity.com asking why this happens....

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2006 at 5:42 AM

Becuase this horrific scandal has grown out of proportion, I have plavced sensitive information in this related thread:

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2646177

And will continue to monitor the situation.

Ice, stacey.  Lots of Ice.

I'll get around to the blog about it sometime...

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 12:32 PM

I can't believe that ANYONE in their right mind can seriously claim that reciecving one ebot per reply, instead of one per thread UNLESS YOU VISIT THE TREAD AGAIN can in anway be ideal?

Perhaps williamsn mistook May1st for April 1st? This isn't a joke. My regular mail program has already decided that anything @renderosity.com is spam, I had to plead it to consider again and actually let me SEE the emails...

I USE the ebots. I need them to keep track of the threads I want to follow. But at the moment they're just a pest. When you've got the first 100 ebots from the same thread just because you were bold enough to go to SLEEP (let alone go to work, which is more hours than I dare to sleep) it becomes tedious.

I'm all for relaying them to admin@renderosity.com until this is settled... perhaps THAT will wake someone up...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 1:18 PM

just wait. it'll get changed when the site ends up on Spamhous and NOTHING gets through to anyone.
as in no EBots, market shots, company Emails, nothing.
maybe then the programmer (sorry I don't have much respect for him) will listen.

PJF ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 2:52 PM

OK, boring but true:

The Rendo ebots are not spam, and won't get classed as spam, because you request them (notify me when someone replies) - and have the easily chosen option to not receive them.

Unsolicited forwarding of ebots to the admin would be spam, and given the ridiculous number of ebots, might amount to a denial of service attack. A good idea only if you wish to be booted (will cure the ebots though ;-)).

The programmer who chiefly participates in this forum is an assistant programmer. With no disrespect to his position, he essentially does as he's told. The current policy of not changing the ebot system is unlikely to be his decision (whether he agrees with it or not). Not much point in slagging him off.

That being said, the ebot situation is beyond stupid. It's making Renderosity a laughing stock. Whatever it is (technicality or policy) that's preventing the change back to common-sense normality should be addressed quickly.

We should keep complaining until it is - but do so constructively.

Halve their pay and double their hours!

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 2:57 PM · edited Thu, 04 May 2006 at 3:00 PM

Peter, please check out spamhous properly. since they do not respect 'and won't get classed as spam, because you request them (notify me when someone replies) - and have the easily chosen option to not receive them.' since they operate on , 'if they get enough complaints they list the company / domain as spammer' and their own tests that if they find a domain 'insecure' they list it. - I've been arguing for MONTHS to get Yahoo Groups off the list so I can get messages again at my ISP, with no luck at all.

this is fact unfortunealty. and not going to change since while Spamhous and others actually have no legal bearing at all, many ISP's use them and the only way to find out why you've stopped reciveing emails from a Domain is to ask the ISP.

Rendo runs the risk of being banned from many domains because of the way that these lists are operated...

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 3:55 PM

Still not funny, still buried in ebots and still no news from the admins.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 4:50 PM

hey now! finally some good news! yahoo groups have been blackholed. it's high time IMVHO. keep 'em blackholed permanently, and let yahoo move to PRC if they don't like it :lol::lol::lol::lol: but it ain't gonna happen to 'rosity. I'm convinced nic will fix the ebots, by hook or by crook. p.s. I'm guessing that yahoo warez groups (sometimes referred to as "legal" PSP groups or similar euphemisms) are the source of the polipos virus.

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 6:07 PM

ah so PhilC's Wardrobe Wizard group is bad yes? or the Freecycle Group I'm, or the Doctor Who group I'm in...

thanks. shall i go anf paint the tar on and roll in feathers now for you?

williamsn ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 7:02 PM

Guy's I'm gonna do what I can. It still ain't my call. I have to do what I'm told within the time I'm alotted to do it and with the funds available. But if by any means I can talk them into letting me alter eBots, I will. Also, next weeks sometime we will be taking the forums down temporarily. I don't know when yet, but you will see an announcement about it a few days before it happens, so don't worry. We just found a flaw in the database design that could be contributing to site slowness. We could fix it behind-the-scenes while y'all use it, but it could take ten or fifteen hours that way versus just a few hours while taking them offline. If I'm allowed to fix the eBots, you should see a change in them (hopefully) after the forums come back up. I'll let you know more later. For now just keep your fingers crossed and your chins up. 😄 Nicholas

-Nicholas

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 9:39 PM

Ahhhh Nicholas, once again you are my hero.  I knew you would help with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 10:11 PM

I knew nick would come through for us. now it's only a matter of time before the ebots are a thing of the past. 😄

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 9:19 PM

If I'm allowed to fix the eBots, you should see a change in them (hopefully) after the forums come back up.

That would be cool, if you could pull it off, and I'm sure it'd be much appreciated by the many who haven't complained.
It'd be nice to be able to get ebots in my email again, rather than just briefly see them as I tell Spam Killer to flush 'em en masse.  ;)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 3:56 AM

Quote - If I'm allowed to fix the eBots,

Why in the world SHOULDN'T you be allowed to fix them? Isn't fixing things like that your job here? !

I'm looking forward to the fix  

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

PJF ( ) posted Sun, 07 May 2006 at 3:04 PM

Quote - Why in the world SHOULDN'T you be allowed to fix them? Isn't fixing things like that your job here?

I think the answer is provided by Nicholas' line:
"I have to do what I'm told within the time I'm alotted to do it and with the funds available."

The forums are run as part of the Renderosity / Bondware business and any (or probably more accurately, most) work done on them is done on that basis.

THX 1138 can get away if the cost of his capture exceeds the budget allocated to it. ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.