Sun, Oct 6, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Utility: Clothes Converter

3ddave44 ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 10:02 AM · edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 4:49 AM

Can anyone who uses or tried Clothes Converter (available at Daz) say a few words about it?
Easy to use?  Clothes remain 'smooth' and unchunky after application?

Wanting to buy some of these types of utilities with my Daz voucher (if it's
usable for them).

Am also curious about Universal Texture Converter - so if anyone has words
on that, I'd appreciate reading them as well.

Thanks
David

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 10:07 AM

Universal Texture Converter is ok at what it does but it will make a horrible mess of any texture with a lot of fine detail, such as tattoes.

It's also very far from universal because it only works on DAZ figures.

Conversions are not always immediately useable because it will sometimes leave gaps along seams.  IMO, it's not a bad buy but far from being a one click solution.

Clothing Convertor is something I have never used.  I do, however, use and recommend Wardrobe Wizard.  Not absolutely perfect results every time but very, very good.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 11:00 AM

I like it. It does (with few) adjustments work with the UNIMESH figures (V3/M3/H3/A3/SP3) quite well.

It nicely converted the Aiko3 Catsuit to V3 (Again two small tweaks needed).Handled the gloves and feet well. (Wardrobe Wizard does not work well feet and hands from what I understand).

I'm not sure, but  unless the product is a a DAZ Original, your voucher will give you only 50% of the price. Please double check that.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 11:40 PM

I use Clothes Converter quite a bit. It has it's limitations but with lots of tweeking you can generally get a close fit. It's also very simple to use. Basically you add the cloths file (CR2), then the CR for the characrer it was made for, then the CR you want it to fit. You then auto re-size, re-scale in various directions. Then export. (save). It automatically makes a re-named CR for the clothes and a png and rsr.

I would really like to try Wardrobe Wizard myself. I believe it's more automated and streamlined for the purpose.

decadre ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 8:15 AM

Ashley, I use Wardrobe Wizard too at times. If you are trying to fit something simple as a simple skirt that has a unique cut to it, Wardrobe Wizard will work excellently for your needs. If you are trying to fit something like one of BVH's olf fantasy outfits for example, you have a whole lot better luck with Clothing Converter.

Just as an example, putting BVH's Princess of the Elves through Wardrobe Wizard for me usually leaves part of the decoration material that covers the stomach area all disjointed with some of the edges poking through the stomach, and some of the stretched out more than the others. In Clothing Converter, I can get the outfit to fit a lot better because I have control over the fine details of the fit. However, you will spend A LOT of time getting it to fit.

Something I just thought of is that Wardrobe Wizard is like creating a skirt in Auto Mode. Using Clothing Converter is like putting a skirt back into the 3D modeling program that it was made in, and making changes to the model itself.

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 11:01 AM

I use both with varying results. Let me say that I am not a power user of Clothing Converter, I find the tools a little difficult and more aimed towards modellers. In that respect - ease of use, Wardrobe Wizard is tops.

However, Clothing Converter has quite a few wonderful features - It autoconverts clothing for any Unimesh based figure, including all of the Aeon line without a specific file having to be written for it. (It also autoconverts for Neftis' Elle figure).

It has a batch mode by which you can select several items of clothing for one model and convert it to a number of different figures overnight or while at work (same runtime). Note - Needs an update to support multiple runtimes.

You can retain all clothing morphs after a conversion (figure morphs too if applicable)

You can load morphs into the figure and convert to a morphed figure from within Clothing Converter.

Saves an OBJ and CR2, copies/renames a thumbnail for each conversion

If you have the skill, you can convert from any figure to any other figure (I don't have the skill -- yet)

The downside, for me, is that this product is not aggressively supported.

Wardrobe Wizard on the other hand...
Convert once (a little time consuming), and then you can quickly with the click of a button or two refit to any of the supported figures

You don't have to save the OBJ geometry (saves space on your harddrive)

The smoothing, inflate and deflate tools are great to have in Poser which is usually where you discover there's an issue with the conversion

Autoconversion from non-millenium 3 figures, P6/P5 figures and legacy P4 figures.

It will fit to any morphed state of a supported figure, so it's more useable on the fly

Aggressively and energetically supported by PhilC

The downside is that a script has to be written by PhilC in order to support a figure, so all figures are not supported. Also, clothing morphs do not transfer.

Each has it's drawbacks and neither is perfect, you may have to adjust joint/rotations to suit the new figure and you'll run into some clothing meshes that are just plain resistant to conversion.

Sorry to go on for so long, but hope this helps. Remember, your mileage may vary...

kalonart.com

zulu9812 ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 11:21 AM

Wardbrobe Wizard tends to mangle clothes, so be warned. Basically, WW is a python script that uses lots of magnets to squash/stretch clothes to fit. This tends to destroy any fine detail in clothing. And some merchants seems to make their clothes in such a way that they come out of WW looking really bad - Xurge3D springs to mind.

JenniSjoberg ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 12:21 PM

The UTC is ok.. for non closeups.. 

Closeups  will not leave a satisfactory result

CRITIC, n. A person who boasts himself hard to
please because nobody tries to please him.

BastBlack ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 2:10 PM · edited Sat, 06 May 2006 at 2:21 PM

My 2 cents: If you want top notch conversions of textures and clothes, do it by hand. If you want a faster option albiet less percise, then go with auto-conversions. UTC: Have it use it. And I always retouch the conversions. UTC runs in Virtual PC on my Mac. Huge time saver. Disable anti-alising if you want a sharp conversion. UTC is Daz figures only. Tailor: Have it. Used to run it inside Virtual PC. Simple, easy, but often not the best results. You can transfer morphs from the figure to the clothing with it. You can also convert clothing from V2 to V3 and M2 to M3 with it. (looks at daz tutorials for instructions). There is a trick to getting better quaity just found recently! Look in the forum for it. Magnet Kits: The new generation of adding figure morphs to clothing. Don't have any of the kits, but they look like work well. Works with python inside Poser. CC 1: Have it, don't use it. It doesn't run in Virtual PC on my Mac. CC1 takes time to do, but gives better results depending on your skill level. CC 1 did need extra program for some clothing, I think it was Auto Grouper. But since I can run Blacksmith on my Mac, I now use Blacksmith to do those type of conversions that I would have done in CC1, had it ran on my Mac. CC2 has autoconversion added to it, so it now has options like Tailor or WW. You should also note, CC does glove conversions, WW does not, and I think CC2 auto convert is Daz figures only. WW: Have it, use it, love it. It works on the Mac inside Poser. Easy, and it saves tons of time. I always try a conversion in WW first. But if it needs obj tweaking, I'll convert the obj by hand in either Poser, as a dynamic cloth, or export it to Blacksmith3D. Then I use the new obj in place of the WW one (or make the new obj a morph target ). I use the WW generated cr2 for hand converted obj. Sometimes you need to edit joints. You should also note, you can use WW for so much more than just conversions: you make random faces, convert figures to figures, use tools to zero figure and turn off IK, share converison analysis with others, use it smooth your face and body morphs, it even has "Make art". lol. It's very handy. bB

ashley9803 ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 10:43 PM

Just a question. You need the original figures to convert in CC1.1, right? For example if I have some clothes for say Mike 1 and want to convert to Mike 3, but don't have the Mike 1 cr2, I'm stuck?
Is this correct?

decadre ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2006 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, I think you need the original char too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.