Mon, Oct 21, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 5:20 pm)

Subject: WWII German Tank Commander Uniform

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Tue, 09 May 2006 at 6:19 PM

Quote - So, do you have a tiger in your tank?

No, but I do have a Tiger tank :-)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 8:50 AM · edited Wed, 10 May 2006 at 8:53 AM

file_341467.jpg

Sigh, with all of this historical accuracy and political correctness I suppose Vicki's wish for an Ilsa outfit is out of the question :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

DarthJ ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 10:44 AM

Not exactly Imckenzie, check this :

http://www.bbay.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=490

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 11:09 AM

OK, so "complete and uncut". Obviously they didn't take any chances on the male members of the cast being Jewish.

nickedshield ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 1:53 PM

If the Swasticka is reversed isn't it the Circle of Life for some American Indians?

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 5:28 AM

I am not a troll - and if you call me a troll you simply are just not sensitive enough to history - I just wanted to point something out for you - and what I feared to happen just happened with the post above - dont you think that some people in the world might find this more than disgusting ? Its not art, its not historic , nor is a a model plane. This is what people will do when the props are provided. Over and out for me.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:00 AM

"This is what people will do"

Only a minority of morons. Not everyone is a right winger. Most artists can recognise the correct historical placement of symbology and use it with a sentiant level of artistic senstivity. 

I get more concerned when someone says I can't see or use somthing, because that smacks of  "I've got something to hide".  

History is something that none of us should ever deny or seek to cover up.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:12 AM · edited Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:19 AM

Attached Link: Here is a nice image of an American (USAAC) Boeing P-12C fighter from the 1930's.

And for history buffs interested in swastika uses ... swastika has also been used in Finland (where I live) from the Iron Age to this day. Some swastika uses in Finland: -Nurses' Union of Finland (early use) -Lotta Svard movement (volunteer-based defense organisation that was banned after the WWII) used it since 1921 -Finnish Presidential flag still has it -Finnish Air Force has been using swastika since 1918 and still continue to use it. It's in the flags, emblems, heraldry, medals ... As the Nazi used swastika in a tilted position, the uses in Finland have never had that tilting.

Coleman ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:18 AM

Very cool models, Helgard and Ranman!

I second the plead for an Ilsa outfit :P

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:29 AM

I would have to check, but the swastika is a handed design--are some of these examples in the opposite direction to the Nazi version? A quick look through the thread show all those pictured have the same handedness.

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:37 AM · edited Thu, 11 May 2006 at 7:39 AM

Can only say about the Finn ones: all have the same handedness. In fact some of our early stamps have the swastika watermarked!

stahlratte ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 9:12 AM · edited Thu, 11 May 2006 at 9:23 AM

Just to clear things up a bit.

I´m German and a scale modeller for 35+ years, building mainly US-Cars and WW-2 tanks and planes.

Here in Germany ANY insignia of the III. Reich that are not used in a historical context are banned, and showing them in public is VEBOTEN.

And yes, that includes model kits and renders of CG-Models.

Showing or trading historical photographs are OK, trading with medals, coin, stamps that show the Swastika or SS-Runes is OK , too, as long as it is done for HISTORICAL RESEARCH only and very limited.

(So no German publisher would be able to print a comic like ILSA, for example. Strictly speaking, you are not even allowed to host a picture like that on a German server, because the SS-runes pictured are used just for entertainment, not for historical schoolarship and research.)

Renactment (Public AND Private) of any kind is STRICTLY VERBOTEN. You can collect and own German uniforms for research, but you are not allowed to wear them.

Parading around in a WW2 Uniform or showing Nazi insignia in the German public for whatever reason will earn you jail time, period.

Enforcement once was so strict that even the tiny swasticas on an Afrika-Korps Palm symbol of a 1/35 scale tank had to be blackened out before the kit could be sold here.

Built models that were shown in public exhibitions must have had Swastikas or any SS- symbols removed or covered.

Standard German WW-2 crosses (Balkenkreuze) and standard German Army (Wehrmacht) symbols are OK, though.

But things have relaxed quite a bit and at least in regards to scale modelling these laws aren´t really  enforced anymore.

But still, any PUBLIC exhibition of Nazi symbols, especially with the intention to show one´s political opinion is still STRICTLY prohibited and will be prosecuted, as we unfortunately (Like any other country) still have our share of right-wing nutjobs, who would like to bring the "Good old times back",

Just a sidenote: It took the German Television over 30 years before they dared  to show StarTreks TOS "Pattern of Force", and I think Fawlty Towers episode "The Germans" still hasn´t been shown.

;-)

Stahl "Don´t mention the war" Ratte

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 10:03 AM

Nice outfit jgodeau but it just doesn't say Ilsa.  You need that bluse with the distinctive plunging neckline. 

I don't know about the cast members but the producer was Jewish.  Ilsa does claim some historical roots, being loosely based supposedly on Ilse Koch, the notorious "Bitch of Buchenwald."  

There's no way to avoid offending someone.  The very depth of the Nazi's evil has made them iconic figures that continue to hold people's interest for better or worse, whether it's skinheads, Indiana Jones' villians or Mel Brooks' "Springtime for Hitler farce."  Most people can tell the difference between reverence and irreverence.  Banning Nazi promotion certainly doesn't seem to have curtailed the rise of fascist or neo-Nazi movements in Germany.  Indeed, the whole world seems to be trending towards madness, whether you call it neo-conservatism, fundamentalism or whatever.  Hiding swastikas and congratulating ourselves on a job well done while allowing the Dafurs of the world to continue seems a little silly at best.  Inhumanity does not need any particular symbol or creed to flourish. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2006 at 2:03 PM

Quote - ...and I think Fawlty Towers episode "The Germans" still hasn´t been shown.

:SHOCKED: That's one of the most funniest episodes and the main point of it is it's making fun of the deep-rooted, but pretty much pointless prejudices of people. Of course you all knew that, but I just had to say it!

mdbruffy ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 7:34 PM

Ranman- is this an update of the tank commander you posted a few weeks ago?  Or is this a new uniform?

ranman38 ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:12 PM

It is an update, but it will need to be installed like it was new. You may want to delete the old gtankcmdr folders before installing, to get rid of unwanted items, and make room for the new. :)

mdbruffy ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:18 PM

Okay. Got it. Thanks.

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 12:00 AM

Thank you for the update Ranman! :biggrin:

ranman38 ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 9:05 AM

You are welcome. Thank you.

DrunkMonkey ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 10:36 AM

Quote - Stahl "Don´t mention the war" Ratte

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it. :P

I'm surprised that episode hasn't aired considering the absurdist way the war is brought  up. Seems like I read a while back there was a bit of a to-do over the 60's tv show "Hogan's Heros" being shown on German tv.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 11:50 AM

SS Ranks- I dont' remember myself, but I just remembers ubers, unters, sturms, bans, and fuhrers..;) probably a combination of the above.

So Totenkopf (does Sky Captian know this?..;) is back..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.