Sun, Sep 22, 6:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Forums Upgraded - Speed, eBots and Search Improved

williamsn ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:33 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:22 PM

After having our meeting last week, we have spent the last several days upgrading the forums. During times things have been ULTRA slow the last couple days, it's been while we were performing maintenance on the database tables. We have made the following changes:

• Completely revamped the indexes on every table, increasing performance.
  • Optimized queries we were running against the database
  • Particularly, improved the performance of one particular query by over 3000%
  • Search: Completely re-wrote the search, moving to an object-oriented search result.
  • Search: Fixed all memory overrun errors and max_packet_size errors.
  • Search: With this new OO search, we are able to allow re-sorting of results (this was not previously available because of database performance), including allowing sorting by date.
  • Search: Sorting and result returns are faster in the new search because we have improved the sorting algorithms.
  • Search: Increased the functionality of date filtering.
  • eBots: eBots now only send once until you come back to the forum/thread you are subscribed to and then are reset.

We hope these changes make using the forums more pleasurable for our members. In the future, we will certainly add more features, such as searching within search results (this is a personal goal, but don't count on it until at least the community conversion is complete). If you have any problems or encounter any errors that you believe are a result of the new changes, please post those concerns HERE and we will address them as soon as possible. Thanks

-Nicholas

KarenJ ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:46 AM

Zippity-doo-dah!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 9:31 AM

Thank you Nick

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

PJF ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 9:51 AM

The forums are absolutely flying for me today. Well done!

TallPockets ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 10:29 AM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 10:30 AM

"Zippity-doo-dah!" x 2! 

THANK You, kind soul. T.P.

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 10:35 AM

Now this is good news:) Thanks Nicholas for staying up all night and taking care of these things.  You ROCK...

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 11:43 AM

Alright Nic!
Thanks! :D

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 11:59 AM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 12:01 PM

file_341939.gif

> Quote - - Search: Completely re-wrote the search, moving to an object-oriented search result. > - Search: Fixed all memory overrun errors and max_packet_size errors. > - Search: With this new OO search, we are able to allow re-sorting of results (this was not previously available because of database performance), including allowing sorting by date. > - Search: Sorting and result returns are faster in the new search because we have improved the sorting algorithms. > - Search: Increased the functionality of date filtering. > - eBots: eBots now only send once until you come back to the forum/thread you are subscribed to and then are reset.

does a happy happy dance

OMG!!! THANK YOU!   THANK YOU!   THANK  YOU!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 12:11 PM

file_341940.gif

Forgot to give you this :)

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 1:19 PM
  • eBots: eBots now only send once until you come back to the forum/thread you are subscribed to and then are reset.

Big "Attaboy" on that one

Thanks for listening to the membership.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

PJF ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 1:47 PM

Quote - eBots now only send once until you come back to the forum/thread you are subscribed to and then are reset.

Don't know how I missed that one, but -  YAY!

williamsn ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 1:52 PM

Quote - Thanks for listening to the membership.

Yeah, well, I did that one off-the-clock because I wasn't given permission. So, PayPal williamsn@pop.belmont.edu if ya love me. HAHAHAHA! pretends to wait around and watch PayPal balance :tongue2:

-Nicholas

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 3:55 PM

See we do listen!!!  Can't always do what some want but we certainly try where we can.  I guess my "batting eyes" worked on the ebot problem:) heehee

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:10 PM

WooHoo...youse guyz rock......

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Erlik ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:40 PM

Thanks for the e-bots! But since the prize for a job well done is more jobs: put the reply on a copletely new page put the smilies on the page with the reply and make them clickable build in the ability to make individual threads read, not only the whole forum. Or fix the bug with the icon load. and fix the editor! It's probably the only editor that doesn't work with all the bigger browsers and you had to use it.

-- erlik

williamsn ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:49 PM
  1. You can click reply to go to a completely new page, or you can use the reply at the bottom of the page. After releasing, we had an overwhelming request for an additional reply box to be at the bottom, so there it will stay. 2) Smilies are a feature of ours, the reply box is an external resource, so the two cannot work together. Smilies cannot be clickable. They will remain the way they are. 3) Because of database performance and storage issues, we cannot physically make individual threads read. There are no bugs with the icon load. It's all working properly. 4) Again, as I have said in a dozen other threads (not being snappy here, just stating fact), the editor is an external resource. It is not something we wrote and any modifications have to come from the developers. It is written to perform as equally as possible on Firefox, IE, Netscape, and Mozilla. I'd say those are the bigger browsers. Support in the next version (hopefully out in August) will hopeully work with Opera and Safari. If you're referring to the "security settings" issue on FireFox, this is a problem with FireFox that the authors of the editor cannot work around.

-Nicholas

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:03 PM

Great that the ebots are finally fixed.

But the "Mark thread read" thing MUST be possible though since every other php based forum I've ever seen has it...

Personally, if I was planning to buy forum software, I wouldn't buy this when what I'd consider a key feature was missing.

But at least the ebots are fixed. Thanks for that :m_grin:

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Erlik ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:08 PM

Opera 9 supposedly has a better support of RT editors. And still doesn't work with fck. It's like he intentionally sabotaged it. Also, afaik, it still doesn't work with IE 7, but I don't have it here to test it. I can understand the problem with individual threads, but the icons don't work properly. When you've read a thread, the icons should switch to the gray ones, like they do when you mark a forum read, right? Well, they don't. As to the smilies, that guy simply doesn't know what he's doing. It's a wonder why the vbulletin editor works (with clickable smilies!) and fck doesn't.

-- erlik

pleonastic ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:43 PM

thanks, nick. progress! :)

PJF ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:45 PM

Quote - So, PayPal williamsn@pop.belmont.edu if ya love me. HAHAHAHA!

Sorry Nicholas, but you owe me:

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2656560&ebot_calc_page#message_2656560

;-)

williamsn ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:47 PM

That would imply that I had agreed to that bet. I don't bet.

-Nicholas

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 7:50 PM

A huge Hippie Dippie Yippeeee!!!!

...and my C-Drive thanx you too!!!

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

Rich2 ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 9:01 PM

No idea of what you said you did, Nicholas, but it gotta be OK -

It's just like the PGA around here - These guys are GOOD.

Peace, love and all that stuff.

And don't call me Shirley!

Anniebel ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 9:26 PM

Quote - Great that the ebots are finally fixed.

But the "Mark thread read" thing MUST be possible though since every other php based forum I've ever seen has it...

Personally, if I was planning to buy forum software, I wouldn't buy this when what I'd consider a key feature was missing.

But at least the ebots are fixed. Thanks for that :m_grin:

I second that, thanks for the ebot thing, but now please fix the mark when read.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

BDC ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 11:09 PM

Sorry I'm late with this williamsn, but thanks for fixing the ebots!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

DJB ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 11:52 PM

I am happy for all this work, and the results.
 Nick  knows the two things I want  the most though.
Let's see. I bet if I top up that paypal I get them.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 3:49 AM

Very nice!  Sharen

woz2002 ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 6:42 AM

How about the same functionality for the galleries?!

...small steps, big journeys :-)

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 7:35 AM

Thanks Nick, cheque's in the mail ;-)

Yeah, I'm still using the old smilies 'cause I don't know how to use the new ones.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 9:20 AM · edited Mon, 15 May 2006 at 9:24 AM

Thank You - The forums are definitely faster - WooHoo!  :woot:  :thumbupboth:

~ Meow ~

lemur01 ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 11:24 AM

Sorry i'm late getting to this but mucho grassy arse nick for the ebot thing, appreciate your effort.

Jack

cbender ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 11:42 AM

brilliant...   :)

Dutch_Wally ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 12:43 PM

Thx alot. Finally Renderosity is faster than the good old letters...(Evil Grin)

The only mark I've made in life,

is in my underwear;

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, I'm still using the old smilies 'cause I don't know how to use the new ones.

Just open up the smilie window, and copy/paste the text under each smilie face into the editor you are typing in 😄 would look like : smile : {with no spaces}

~Jani

Adavyss ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 10:55 AM

Nick, thanks for the ebots
"well, I did that one off-the-clock because I wasn't given permission"
Unquote

As usual, pathetic management.

williamsn ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 11:00 AM

No, no Adavyss. I didn't want to give you the impression that the management here is "pathetic". I think they're doing great things with Renderosity. But, unfortunately, we had already gone over budget on the forums. I didn't do them off the clock because I disagreed with not having permission. I did them off the clock because they were getting on my nerves too and I just wanted them fixed. But I completely understand why I was told that it wasn't a priority when we're also working on getting the galleries and a dozen other things converted and out for you to use. 😄

-Nicholas

Adavyss ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 11:26 AM

Nick, there are 2 ways to go over budget,

• employees are working badly
  • the budget was wrong
    In both cases, it's poor management.

When something is getting on clients nerves, it's poor management to refuse to listen and correct the problem.

When all the work force is mobilized on a new project before the previous one is fully operational, it's also poor management.

Fortunately, there are still people like you with common sense.

Thanks again for fixing the ebots

cryptojoe ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 2:41 PM

When companies refuse to believe that the customer is always right, they are doomed to go the way of the Oldsmobile.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 4:41 PM

Good work Nicholas. The speed does indeed seem to be greatly improved.  :-)

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 6:33 PM

eeiihhh ?!?!?!  i dont get anything anymore .... only from thread's is started ?? thats a bit to much ebot killing don't ya think ?

so whats up with no more emails from here ?

Chris 

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 8:11 PM

Quote - eeiihhh ?!?!?!  i dont get anything anymore .... only from thread's is started ?? thats a bit to much ebot killing don't ya think ?

so whats up with no more emails from here ?

Chris 

It's like it was with the old forum.  You get one notification per thread unless you visit the thread again, at which time you reset the clock and will get another if someone else replies after that.

It's better than getting a reply notification for ever single post made in the thread.

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:58 AM

One thing I forgot. How about we get the link as the text for the link instead of "here"? For instance, http://www.renderosity.com/ instead of "click here." That way those of us who try to protect themselves won't have to use HTML in their mail programs and open up to spammers and what not. Any mail program that I tried turns a link inserted into a mail clickable.

-- erlik

revric ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:10 AM

I like the new style and look of the forums. I am having problems with the speed on thrying to enter any of the threads, though. My one big complaint is the fact that I no longer get the newsletter. Did you discountinue it or is there a problem with it? And befor you ask, Yes, I have checked the box to recieve the newsletter. I even went into my profile and unchecked then saced the changes, then went back and changed it back. Is there some one I sould contact or something else I can do?

Mahray ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 6:22 AM

You'll probably have to talk to one of the staff about the newsletter, I got mine only a day or two ago.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Indoda ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:21 AM

Well done Nicholas - the speed increase is now very noticable and so far seems consistent in all forums. Thank you!

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

Indoda ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:22 AM

Well done Nicholas - the speed increase is now very noticable and so far seems consistent in all forums. Thank you!

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

SndCastie ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 10:08 AM

revric check to make sure your mail server hasn't changed sometimes they do and consider it spam,and check to make sure you accept mail from renderosity. If that isn't the problem get with Clint he can check it out on this end.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:27 PM

Has the default PHP style sheet been changed so that the active links and visited links on the forum lists are different colors?  I fixed that for myself on my style sheet.  It makes a huge difference.  I am not confused about what threads I have read and which are the newer ones any more.  I'm sure it would be an easy fix, and so many people would benefit.

Fractals will always amaze me!

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 10:18 PM

I'm stil highly dissatisfied, for no particular reason, but this is a step in the right direction. ;)

tony_br22 ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 5:22 PM

Wonderful update of the site ..

Btw. have Instant Messaging been removed (I only see e-mailing when as an option on an artist homepage) ?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 6:15 PM

Hey Tony,
If you click on 'messaging' at the top of the forum, it will take you to the new site mail, which works just like an IM......just type in {case sensitive} users member name and away you go ;)

~Jani

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.