Tue, Oct 22, 2:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Help..Wedding at 7 pm

SoulSearcherr ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 1:18 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:31 PM

Hello folks..I am in need of any advice you are willing to toss my way..Saturday I will be doing  a wedding that will happen at 7:15 pm..and I am not sure about my settings..use a SLR..I am scareddddd folks..HELP...lol..

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 3:06 PM

7:15 p.m. there is night or sunset ? How much light will be available ?
There are two main issues: film and lens.
As for lens I could advice a (very) fast one. As for film ... you will have solid feedback from others.

Cynical ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 6:29 PM

Hello Soulsearcherr,

*I am assuming you are doing a traditional wedding that takes place in a church or hall? *

Using a higher ASA / ISO is recomended for darker settings, the higher the ASA/ISO the more light sensitive the film is, therefore allowing for a faster shutter speed, but with more grain.  I would personally recommend using a flash and bounce it whenever possible, remember bounced light is always more flattering then light flashed directly.  A diffuser for that flash is also a wise investment in case you have to flash directly, meaning bouncing the flash is not possible due to a either a dark or catherderal ceiling.

I would also visit the place where the wedding is to take place and do some test shooting recording each shot ASA/ISO, shutterspeed and aperature, this way you know what works and what doesn't, if possible take a friend with you to use as a model.  It is not dark here at 7:30 is it dark there?  Are you worried because the wedding is outside?

I personally like using my DSLR, this way as the wedding is progressing I can see that the images are coming out, and it helps me to relax a bit knowing this, digital is also easier for me to postwork, and I can also provide images in sepia and black and white.  When shooting film and being nervous there is always the possiblitiy that you may forget to load the camera or set a setting and you won't know how they came out until they are developed.

Another little pointer, dress nice but comfortably, this way no matter what position you are in you aren't fussing with your clothes

Sometimes it also helps to work with another photographer your first few times, this way the bride isn't relying solely on your images.

I hope everything turns out for you.  Keep me posted.

The Cynical One

I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.  -Marcel Duchamp 

SoulSearcherr ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 6:24 AM

it is a digital...and the wedding is outside..thanks for the replies so far..need more pppllll...lol

slynko ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 11:55 AM

Make yourself a checklist of must have shots (don't let the couple see this in case you miss some). Use a mild telephoto as much as you can (helps separate focus from background). Bring all your gear. Have spare batteriesand memory cards on hand, formatted, charged, and ready. Go to the store right now and buy a bunch of wedding magazines. And if this is your first wedding, you're not prepared, and you are freaking out, and this was a last minute request by the couple, then make sure they know what you' and they are getting into.

Do your best, and read up on wedding photography a little more before your next shoot.

SoulSearcherr ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 2:01 PM

not my first wedding ....just first outdoors so late..and thanks..S

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 2:37 PM

Wish I could offer some tips...but never done a wedding I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:38 PM
  • Remember to not run out of flash batteries
  • If your flash can be used remote, have a helper to hold it off to the side on some shots
  • later when dark be careful not  to point the flash right in faces
  • Be stern with your set ups. Do not let the crowd control you.
  • After the mandatory entering to the cake cutting, be sure to work the crowd for candid shots.
  • Never shoot at people eating food.
  • Try not to show cluttered tables.
  • If in doubt about focus, take 2 shots of everything. Or more.
  • If you know how to read your histogram, use it  instead of just the lcd image
  • Watch the legs on poses. Keep them tight to bodies.
  • Sort people into size groups. Do not be timid to move people around. If they want good shots, they have to be patient.
  • About half way through, make sure you are  doing good with your memory cards and batteries.
  • Take a review of your images. You may find some that are just not worth it.If you  delete some it gives you more for some fun stuff at the party.
  • Poses include many of bride and groom.
  • Both families separate. Families together.
  • The children
  • Table pieces
  • Quiet location for just the bridal party
  • Be careful around trees with the shadows, they can do funny things to the faces and clothes.
  • Do get some  with sunlight in hair if it is possible.
  • I could think of more things that I forgot at the couple of wedding I shot..
  •  

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Radlafx ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 11:50 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 11:54 PM

Quote - - Never shoot at people eating food.

• /quote] Oooops. I shot people eating and drinking. Thought they would make good candid's oh well :b_lipssealed: I would go visit where the wedding is to take place. And figure out where and how to get the best shots. I don't officially shoot weddings. I "shoot first, and ask questions later".

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.