Thu, Sep 19, 10:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: And here I go...

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:02 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 5:43 AM

Hi,

A long long time ago I stumbled over this program called Bryce 5 in the IT store of York University. I bought it, it was pretty cheap with the student discount. That was in 1999. I played with it, found it difficult, worked with it, pretty much got bored of it, think I downloaded a demo of Bryce 4 and liked it more, I can't remember... Anyway, around october 2001 I joined R'osity under the nickname Draculaz (which I now think is idiotic). I was 18.

I've used Bryce largely as a render engine, not as a scenery program. I found the basic tools at my disposal too buggy and unrealistic for that. Wings3D was the program that opened up the world to me in terms of what I could acheive. And it was good.

For the past year I've wanted something more, not necessarily for my skills, but for the option of creating better things. Bryce can acheive amazing results, but with way more work than I generally ever wanted to put into it.

And as such, after buying Carrara 5 Pro, with the generous help of a friend (who will get her money soon, bless her heart), I am now willing to go forward. I've been dry for the past months, unable to create anything. Now is the time to do so. Bryce 6 might come around, I might buy it, but I think I've made the right choice in terms of what path to take.

Cheerio, I'm still going to visit this place, but I won't be as active as before. Thank you for teaching me a lot of the things I used with Bryce. I might spam my work here from time to time, but as a rule, I'll try to grow my art with Carrara.

Cheers!

Mihnea

PS: You're all still welcome in RenderGods :)

ek-art ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:44 PM

As long as we can still bug you with questions about Bryce, you'll be safe. Otherwise it's Tar and Feathers!! Good luck :)

Come join the Rendergods!

bandolin ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:49 PM

I've pretty much gone through the same evolution. I'm now into 3DSMax. I too will be keeping a close eye on Bryce 6 and I have a half dozen Bryce scenes still unfinished that I plan to finish one day.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

bandolin ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:49 PM

I've pretty much gone through the same evolution. I'm now into 3DSMax. I too will be keeping a close eye on Bryce 6 and I have a half dozen Bryce scenes still unfinished that I plan to finish one day.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 2:26 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 2:28 PM

Same evolution too. also with 3dsmax. Though I did recently start a new bryce project. I hope to finish it some time... (in like.. half a year or more.. lol. rendertime might run close to 3 months or such I estimate)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:06 PM

Buh bye Minnie ! :tt2:

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:37 PM

well, what can one say?..;) you'll be back..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xenic101 ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 6:35 PM

Good bye, and good riddance!

Oh wait. I'm right behind you.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 8:10 PM

u joking. u can't go... u just can't go. bryce will get you back. thougyh eah.know how u feel.i rather use terragen for sceneries than bryce..but..but....
oh..can't u feel the strings of bryce tugging you back???
please don't go....

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 8:10 PM

:crying: someone..make his change his mind...

deadman67 ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 8:48 PM

i have bryce,vue and terragen installed so if i get to a point were i'm not able to create in bryce i'll use one of the other proggies but i allways go back to bryce sooner or later i'm a bryce addict  bryce is in your blood that will never change so take a break from bryce if you feel the need chang is always a good thing.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 9:22 PM

I have Cinema4D as my main proggy now but I still come back to my Bryce 5 for terrains and other things. It continues to be a very valid tool for me and this forum is still the most interesting.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 3:28 AM · edited Fri, 19 May 2006 at 3:30 AM

Looks like most people slowly evolve and Bryce hasn't evolved with us, I use 3ds Max, but I've also been playing with some GPL  apps, k3d (which is due a new UI soon - once it comes it'll rock) and Blender (haven't played with it enough yet to make comment). I'm also considering Carrara 5 pro - the demo looks good

Why look at other apps when I have 3ds Max - plain and simply I use 3.1 supplied by work - they don't want to upgrade and I can't afford to, £2000 is a bit too much for me to spare at the moment :).

Have to agree about this forum being one of the best, although the 3d Modelling forum here is picking up.

Drac we'll miss you, come back regularly :)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:32 AM

You're always welcome here....especially if you make anymore freebie meshes, lol!

Bryce holds a special little place in many artists, and a lot of those artists have found more tools to use other than just Bryce, but honestly, I think that's the point. Bryce has been an awesome starting tool for thousands of users over the past years, and I truly believe it will always be.

Some of us will find their happy space just within Bryce, yet others will expand on their tools, along with their changing abilities and vision.

It's definitely been an experience having you here Mihnea.

Don't go too far, too soon.

Kirk

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:46 AM

So...  Should someone cue Led Zeppelin's "D'yer Mak'er"? Or should it be Steam's "Hey hey goodbye"?

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:52 AM

Queen's "Don't Lose Your Head".

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 5:28 AM

heh. thanks guys ;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 7:25 AM · edited Fri, 19 May 2006 at 7:26 AM
Forum Moderator

I'm not surprised. Drac can't boolean for toffee. Let's face it, he's a heretic.

Wheels out the comfy chair ready for transportation to Roomaniac.

:b_funny:

(Posted through IE6)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 7:56 AM

Somehow I find it hard to believe you won't post as ofthen 
Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks once sang a song entitled  "How can I miss you if you won't go away". I don't know that that's relavent but I thought of that when I saw this post.

Anyrate good luck with Carrara. I followed it fom studio 3d to studio 5.5 to Carrara 1 and 2. each version was better but my observation was that it never lived up to it's potential  ....  I'm headed toward Cinnama 4d or lightwave; max when I can afford it.

roobol ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:26 AM

A went a similar path, moved from Bryce to Cinema4D, only to find out that everybody else in the C4D forum started with Bryce as well (and like Incarnadine I still use it's terrains). Used Carrara back in 1996 until 2003 (but then it was still called Ray Dream Designer (version 4,0, no less)), but after a comparison between C4D and Carrara I preferred the former. Lots of luck with your move. I'll keep an eye on your gallery and will wait to see you appear in the C4D forum as well, very large grin... carefully unchecking the e-bot avalanche button*

http://www.roobol.be

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:46 AM

yup..the program may change, but the mouth will still be the same..;) j/k

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:54 AM

hah!

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 11:24 AM

So will you now import carrara built spaceships into bryce? or will you import wins built spaceships into carrara? 😉

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:51 PM

i'm still modelling in wings. so i'll just release .obj's :)

ellocolobo ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:55 PM

Whos going to take all those babies?

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 4:56 PM

i still have the baby market cornered, no worries :)

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 6:22 PM

dracybabies.ebay.com

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 8:56 PM · edited Fri, 19 May 2006 at 8:57 PM

I have 3ds Max 6, but tend to model in wings. All of my renders are done in Bryce. I like it's texture set up. I have used every program know to man but always end up here. If WINGS and BRYCE ever had a baby I would get it instantly.

@BRYSTER Draz lack of boolean talent is the mark of a SMART PERSON. Booleans are for the mentally deficient. Been there, done that. NEVER AGAIN.

Good luck Drac with whatever you do. Just remember, when the modelling goes haywire, and the textures won't fit, we will ALL be here to give you a hard time. Cheers.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:06 PM

Hey Cyba, check out Rochr's gallery or Bambam131's for some serious mental deficiency (LOL)!
Roobol, you can also do some fun textures to apply as image textures (I use bryce for this too).

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:09 PM

i can do both complex polygon modelling and complex boolean modelling. i guess this makes me a mentally deficient genius :-P

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Incarnadine ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:12 PM

Come to the dark side bikermouse. Feel the power of subpolygon displacement and radiosity. (grin)
Incarnadine
(Official Knight Templar of the Heretics of the Outer Darkness)

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 8:48 AM

HOLD IT! HOLD IT! HOLD ON JUST ONE GARSH DARN SECOND HERE CHILDREN!!!!

What is this "Bryce is a cutesy wootsey little darling of a tinker toy - but I've outgrown it and on moving on" STUFF???!!!

I just bought BRYCE 5 - I love it - it does everything I could possibly want or need it to - but you guys are killing my enthusiasm - your making me feel like the guy whose still playing donkey kong on an old Atari 5200 deck while everybody else is doing HALO 2 on XBOX!!! I feel like a lost and forgotten wallflower here!

Bryce 5 ain't too bad at all if you need real good graphics on the cheap - in fact, for the price - it's pretty darn outstanding!

The learning curve is great, it's easy once you learn it - and well - it's just cool...

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 8:57 AM

Oh yes, Bryce is great for good graphics on the cheap :-)

But 3dsmax is great for (potentially) better graphics on (and this next one is a key factor for me) short timescale provided u have a larger budget (or a good investor with the budget to buy u a copy)

Carrara just brings Drac closer to that speed and technology improvement within his budget 😉 but dont be sad, I'm sure he'll come up with some great new freebies which we can render in bryce and try to make look better then his carrara rendered versions. you know, just so we can tease him a little and say "Hah! my brycean cutesy wootsey little darling of a render of your model owns your carrara render!"

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

ddaydreams ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 2:47 PM

Change is Good! Carrara is fast and featureful now like bryce 7 in maybe 2010 ; )

Frank Hawkins/Owner/DigitalDaydreams

Frank_Hawkins_Design

Frank Lee Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery Store

My U.S.A eBay Graphics Software Store~~ My International eBay Graphics Software Store

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 3:46 PM

Hey Mugsey, don't fret - as I said elsewhere, I may use C4D as my main app but I nave NOT stopped using Bryce. I like Bryce. If and when 6 comes out I may just pick it up.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 6:16 AM

Disappearing totally is not allowed!  Drac is too weird to disappear like that.  I like weird.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 8:32 AM

Regarding Booleans:
As my Governator might say, "tell it to the hand". It is my feeliong that proficincecy at booleans is a good thing and indicates a form of superior intelligence. however it's a left-brained activity. From what I've been told artists tend to use the right-brain in their creative processes so I can understand why some don't like it.

I tend to think that it boils down to something like this: Those who can do: those who can't complain about it.  

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 8:35 AM

Good for you,Fran.

"WEIRD" is a lifestyle choice. One I personally have taken. A number of others in this forum seem to have also taken it. WEIRD IS GOOD. VERY GOOD.

To those living a straight and normal life, come over to the WEIRD SIDE.

NO BOOLEANERS ALLOWED. Even weird folk have their standards.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 8:49 AM

Speaking of wierd:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/hobbit-a-species-or-deformed-human/2006/05/19/1147545523913.html

I wonder If those hobbits Booleaned? probably not........???

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 10:43 PM

I'm afraid I'm on the Carrara train too.   DAZ just made C5Pro just TOO good to pass up.   I'll keep an eye on Bryce and hopefully Bryce 6 will be something really special.     But otherwise, yeah, it's going down to christmas cards and the odd "Hi" as we pass in the street and then probably not even that.

Rendergods will always be a multi-platform place to visit, so hopefully I'll see you all there.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 21 May 2006 at 11:57 PM

file_342761.jpg

Are you taking this guy with you?  :-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 8:02 AM

I was thinking of getting carrara too, just let the offer expire and then thought ill stick with the free blender, the new material node will rock in the new realease. At the moment im rerendering some old bryce scenes for an upcoming exhibition, and the slowness is realy getting me, luckily i only do 20 pieces. I wish you luck on the new path youve taken and keep us posted on your progress.

I agree the name draculaz sucks :P

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

catlin_mc ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 9:13 AM

I guess I'm following everyone else then. At this moment I'm downloading Carrara and Transporter which DAZ is doing a fantastic deal on at the moment.

They've put Carrara and Transported in 1 package, and if you have a copy of Poser, any version, you can get it for $141.93, and if you are a member of the PC you get another 30% of it for it being a DAZ original.

But I think I'll still be coming in here from time to time, I can't go away and never speak to my extended family again.

Onwards and upwards into Carrara me thinks. 8)

Catlin

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 4:00 PM

Hi Catlin!

I got on the "train" back in March when Eovia had what I thought was a great sale; $149 for Carrara5 standard. If I hadn't moved then, the current sale certainly would have gotten me. I don't regret missing out on the even better prices now 'cause Carrara paid for itself with a couple of small graphics gigs it allowed me to finish, plus I've had a lot of fun with it. I haven't abandoned Bryce though. I still prefer Bryce's terrain lab, and I've found some ways to use Bryce in my workflow.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 9:51 PM · edited Mon, 22 May 2006 at 10:00 PM

Don't get me wrong Carrara was like getting champagne for the  price of Ripple, but the truth is CD4 is a requirement for an advertising job I want and use of Carrara just isn't. Pretty simple.  

Incarnidine,
you aren't gonna start telling me you're my dad are you?         

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 11:27 PM

Not to my knowledge I'm not. (LOL) (you're name's not Luke by any chance?!)

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:24 AM

Welcome to freedom Drac, it took you long enough. Lets stroll through a properly lit( AO, and Radiosity) world together.

I eat babies.

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 10:12 AM

Nah, the Mousewalkers are distant relations and they live far far away. 

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:21 PM

Oh you guys..................ROLF 8D

The Force is with you Mousewalker. lol

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:49 PM

Has anyone actually heard anything from Luke Mousewalker since he left to fight the big cheese?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 7:10 PM

Nope! Not me, didn't see anything at all (discretely getting dark minions to hide something)...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.