Thu, Sep 19, 11:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Panorama shot

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 10:31 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

Hela guys/girls!

I like to try to shot some panorama photo. Do I need a wide angle lense or I can use my original 38mm lens? Thanks  for some help in advance!

seeya Tunde

girsempa ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 2:01 AM

I don't know, Tunde, but I suppose the normal lens is best to prevent the 'rounding' effect... (I just wanted to move your question back to top;-)

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

babuci ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 3:47 AM

Thx Geert! Looks like in a friday fewer my tread got lost!  Hehe!! But than again a best way to learn by try and error!

seeya have a smashing weekend!   Tunde

Simon_P ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 7:26 AM · edited Fri, 19 May 2006 at 7:27 AM

If you are talking about stitching shots together to make a panoramic image, a focal length in the region of 50mm is better because there is less distortion. If you are using an SLR a 50mm prime lens is ideal. You just need to make sure there is a slight overlap from one frame to the next

If shooting digital make sure that the white balance is manually set or shoot RAW, so that there is no colour temperature shift between shots. Even more tricky is maintaining a constant or graduated exposure through all frames, if shooting RAW this is less of an issue as this can be compensated in the conversion stage. If shooting Jpeg, this can still be done with a photo editing program, but it’s a little more tricky.

Also it is best if you take the shots in portrait orientation with a tripod mounded camera, even better if you use a lens collar as you can rotate the camera on the lens axis.

The reason for shooting in portrait orientation is so that you have a greater area to crop top and bottom to get a good panoramic composition, shooting in landscape orientation can leave you with a limited area to crop from and you may cut off some detail that you wanted in.

They wouldn’t have made the cane if you weren’t meant to break the rules

Dynazty ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 3:14 PM

shoting in portrait orientation ehhh?  a very nice tip, I never thought of that before...=]

3DGuy ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:09 PM · edited Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:12 PM

It all depends if you're going to stich or not. If you are, Simon_P gave great advice. An exposure 'trick' is to take measurements 90 degrees away from the sun (i.e. having the sun at your left or right) take a note of the measurements, then switch to manual everything set your camera per the noted measurements and shoot your panorama.

What camera do you use? I'm currently working on a mount specifically for the Nikon D70 and have my mockup ready in 3D Studio:

If want to create perfect stitches you''re gonna need something like this because of the nodal point of your lens.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

UKmac ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 1:35 AM

Simon, never ever thought of doing portriat for pano's, great idea, thanks.  However using my tripod would give the problems 3DGuy has stated. The bracket, if I made one, would have to be some 300mm long, because of the type of head I use (quick grip ball, ball to head plate 250mm), to long!!

Another way would be to tie a string around the lens against the camera body with a small weight and mark the floor with chalk, and move the tripod on every shot to the same mark, but this would only work well if you were on flat ground I suppose.

Ah, or even better, use the flash shoe to tie the string as this is just in line with the sensor in the camera, sorry typing whilst thinking about. I'll shut up now.

That's it, of to experiment.

Steve

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 8:26 AM · edited Sat, 20 May 2006 at 8:28 AM

Attached Link: Nodal point

You don't rotate around the sensor, you rotate around the nodal point of your lens. Those are 2 different things. As you can see in the bracket there's different points for different focal lengths of the lens. That is the point where the center of the tripod should be.

Doesn't really matter what head you have. The mount should be centered.

UKmac ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2006 at 11:12 PM

3Dguy, thanks for that, great link.

Great learning here, that will teach me for typing on the fly without putting brain in gear, now I understand. Thanks.

Putting design head on now, ruler, pencil, paper, here we go....

Steve

Zacko ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 1:17 AM

Some pretty great suggestions here, nothing left for me to add. I can say this though, i´ve been shooting alot of panos in my days. And i just bought a wideangle, and i tried to do a few with it...and so far i haven´t succeded. The distortion is too great to get the stitches okay easily. And...use a tripod eh? Great idea, lol. So far, all my panos have been handheld with me rotating. 😄

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 11:01 AM

Zacko: You need a program that can correct the distortion (like AutoStitch or Panorama Factory), then it's not a real problem. Shooting from a tripod with a bracket that allows you to rotate around the nodal point solves a sh*tload of problems aligning the images.

You might also look into PanoTools. It's free and a plugin for photoshop. It requires a bit of work, but it can correct your distortion.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 11:42 AM

file_342918.jpg

Rub it in Andreas, rub it in... I can never get my images to align. It is an area I just seem to be a bumbler at. I still have yet to try the built in pano mode on my Olympus though, it is my last hope... ;]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Zacko ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 11:58 AM

:mellow: ...................
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :b_funny: You´re too funny, lol.

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:24 PM

Kort - if it is good enough for David Hockney to do it like that why match them all up perfectly ;)

I think you might be better trying a standard lens Andreas ;)

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Zacko ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:26 PM

You know it Richard. Guess i  found another use for my old cam. 😄

Andreas

Mystic Pic

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:52 PM

file_342926.jpg

Well, I wouldn't want to be accused of copying anyones style. ;] http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hockney/hockney.furstenberg-paris.jpg

Margana ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 1:11 AM

Ooops...I guess I was cheating when I used the pano mode on my coolpix...LOL.It has a ghost image of the previous shot...and you just line it up...easy as pie.

Then PS puts them together...

You must never underestimate the power of the eyebrow.
Jack Black

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 11:57 AM · edited Wed, 24 May 2006 at 11:58 AM

There is always someone to take the easy way out

You are never going to convince anyone that we are clever and this photography thing is difficult , with talk like that Marlene !

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:03 PM

:laugh: LOL!

Margana ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:03 PM

Ooooooops!My bad!

Sorrrrrrrrrrrry!😉

Maybe there is no actual place called hell. Maybe hell is just having to listen to our grandparents breathe through their noses when they're eating sandwiches.
Jim Carrey

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

dragonfly2000 ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:39 PM

I use a nikon 10.5 mm lens - it's not the lens length that's a problem but a question - as noted by 3dguy, of rotating around the nodal point. Nikon Control software 'corrects' the fisheye perspecive to rectilinear then software like Stitcher 5 will easily put the pano together.  I use the Manfrotto 303SPH VR HEAD for sphericals and cylindrical panorama - with the 10.5 i only need 6 shots for the cylindrical, 8 for the sphere. Have fun!

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 5:23 AM

Sorry guys and girls! I was away for a short holliday so a bit late I reading these very good advises to try my hand ( camera) on pano!

Marlene, your way of doing pano is very encouraging ... I hope really that easy to make it! hehe

Thanks for  tips and tricks seeyus ... Tunde

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 7:14 AM

Attached Link: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/teachnet/QTVR/NodalPoint.htm

Ok,   this is a short site telling what "nodal piont" is....might be helpful.  It was to me. Never entered my thoughts about that being the rotational center..even with some physics background. Makes perfect sense.   Goood tips here on this thread, folks. Thanks.         TomDart.

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 7:17 PM

3DGUY,  with cad in the program you could have the nodal point bracket machined right out!

I don't recall nodal point in threads since being on 'rosity buy may have missed it.

At my work, well, in my work as a jeweler, cad is used by many to produce jewelry items. The jewelry is made and rendered in 3d/cad programs then the cad is used to mill or grow a wax item like the render.  We have the program at work but an early one and totally useless overall unless a couple of weeks are spent for special training. Newer progs are more user friendly but are very expensive, in the thousands of US dollars likely due to proprietary industry usage.

Just a thought.    I will likely build a bracket for my cam sometime but by hand and accurate measure.   Thanks for the info on focal node.

Peace to All.       TomDart.

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 12:11 AM

That coolpix is good for the panos. I still kept mine and  use it for that and macro.
Using arcsoft panorama maker really makes them a lot better too.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 6:37 AM

as far as programs go, I've got Arcsofts Panorama Maker. It works batter than PS but you've gotta get you exposures right or at least flowing to a light/darkness...

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

3DGuy ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 10:30 AM

TD: the long hole on the bottom plate is that shape to allow to adjust to different nodal points for different focal lengths. A zoomlens doesn't have a fixed nodal point, it shifts with your focal length.

That's what the lines denote on the side of that long hole (18, 24, 35, 50 and 70mm). If I had a CNC machine available I would use it :P I still have to talk to a friend who's got a friend with a workshop.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.