Sun, Oct 6, 9:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: making footprints

burntime ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 7:42 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 2:33 AM

been trying to put a line of footprints across a bit of sand, the way i have been trying to do it is by making a flat terrain with a raised outline of a footprint on it, scaling it down and putting it in the required place, so rather than the footprint being a depression, its just a bump around the edges of the footprint. they wont be in closeup, so i figure this will give the impression of footprints well enough.

is there a better way to get a line of footprints? (i am using C5 standard btw)

my method is not working out very well so far :) i am sure if i persevere i will get the results i am after with it, but theres so much to C5 i figure i could well be missing a more effective way of doing it.

burntime ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:30 AM

heres what i have come up with so far....

Firebat Down

ren_mem ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 5:04 PM

Haven't tried this, but seems like a displacement map might be the way to go. On another plane.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

burntime ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 6:23 PM

there you go, i knew there would be something i had not even thought of!
will have a play with that at the next available opportunity.

Thanks Ren_Mem

ren_mem ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 8:39 PM

Your welcome. May also convert a smaller terrain to to a vertex object and displace. The issue I can see happening with the plane or vertex obj may be getting it to follow the terrain correctly so probably could do smaller 1 or 2 footprints then replicate them. Show us if it works 😉

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 4:42 AM

An alternate solution might be to render an "altitude map" of your terrain from top view and export the grayscale to an image editor and "paint" in the footsteps. I used to use this method quite a bit in Bryce and I've discovered that it can work very well in Carrara also. It can also be cool if you do a topview render of your terrains' textures so that you can "bake" them in (you might want to disable shadows for this) and apply the bitmap to your your greyscale generated terrain. This bitmap can also be detailed in the image editor to match the altitude map; it's a very good way to add roads and other details to terrains.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.