Tue, Oct 22, 1:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: books on vue (esprit?)

monkeydesign ( ) posted Sun, 25 June 2006 at 4:45 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:27 AM

is there any good books on vue? i use esprit!

thanks!

www.monkeydesign.nl - creative web design, graphic design, and new media solutions.

wabe ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 12:51 AM

Nope - i don't think there are any books about Vue yet. Only some training tutorials for example available on e-ons site.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 8:24 AM

I'd write a book on it...if anyone would buy it ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

monkeydesign ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 8:27 AM

wow - we should write one using the collective knowledge of the renderosity forums!
(c) copyright dibs on that idea :)

sereosly though whats with that - vue is a major software release and deserves a good book to back it up - e-on should have realised that if they want people to use the software and for it to grow into an established tool for the design industry then they need to commission some books and media to back up there product  (not just the wedge of paper they send with the software that is not a nice easy read with great step by step tutorials - (not that it should be or is designed to be anything other than it is!)

as the owner of a design agency i want to sit down with a book and work through a bunch of tutorals and pick up the skills i need to use the software and add an extra dimention to our work without having to pester legends (like wabe) for ansaws to simple questions.

e-on get it sorted - you muppets!

Ps - thanks wabe for all your help in the forums! :)

www.monkeydesign.nl - creative web design, graphic design, and new media solutions.

monkeydesign ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 8:29 AM

silverblade - info@monkeydesign.nl if you think you can write it lets talk about it!

monkeydesign ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 8:30 AM

ps - or anyone else for that matter!

DVcreator ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 12:37 PM

Why not a source guide, 1 part Key guide, 1part workShop book, 1part advanced techniques, 1 part challenge of inventiveness...

Publish as a PDF with the purchaser given 2-5 licenses to print a hard copy.

Save on distribution and production costs,

And would be released on an honour system thought community forums.

thats just my initial idea

R

monkeydesign ( ) posted Mon, 26 June 2006 at 12:54 PM · edited Mon, 26 June 2006 at 12:57 PM

one way but i think it misses the point - simple tutorials with screenshots and working files that a total beginner can pick up and work through to intermediate level - lets start with that! :)

it is a basic requirement for the design industry who are allready trained or who are training themselves to learn the fundamentals of a new program from a book at there own speed - millions of people have got into design this way and thousands of designers who have been working in the industry for years have adopted new programs like this!

"source guide, 1 part Key guide, 1part workShop book, 1part advanced techniques, 1 part challenge of inventiveness" is great but aimed at a different market!

if anyone would be interested in contributing to a tutorial based step by step book on vue (aimed at beginers through to intermediate) let me know !

i have contacts in the publishing world and if that is a no go (nothing is imposible if the content is good!)  we can look at an electronic medium (maybe both anyway).

lots of pictures - easy to follow steps - not to techy!

thanks people,,,,

sirrick ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 12:11 AM

Not a book and not cheap, but worth a look:

http://www.asilefx.com/products_tutorials.htm

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 10:40 AM

Quote - Not a book and not cheap, but worth a look:

http://www.asilefx.com/products_tutorials.htm

Got to say, I purchased the whole set, and was sorely disappointed. Skimmed over important stuff and got (IMO) other things wrong. I asked them about it, and received only a:

"Sorry you didn't like it" response. Another inquiry just never got answered. I guess it's OK for very basic newbie users, but for any type of advanced techniques, I'd suggest elsewhere.

-Chipp

sirrick ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Chipp, I was thinking about purchasing them, guess I'll pass.

Rick

monkeydesign ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 2:38 PM

thats why we need a good book! - easy to flip through in the shop so you know what you are getting and if you pay 25 pounds for a book and it is not as good as you hoped you dont feel so cheeted - 250$ for a set of disks that you never get the chance to see properly before you buy is not a great substitute - ok in some situations but not for everyone (also hard to read on the toilet!:)

Magnatude ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 4:40 PM

why not make a wiki, and everyone contributes collectively?

Carrara 7 Pro, Anime Studio Pro 8, Hexagon 2.5, Zbrush 4.6, trueSpace 7.6, and Corel Draw X3. Manga Studio 4EX, Open Canvas 5, WACOM Cintiq 12WX User

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 4:55 PM

Is there a WIKI which can also be converted to PDF, so that a group could collaborate on it, then print it out later? Just wondering...

-Chipp

monkeydesign ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 4:55 PM · edited Tue, 27 June 2006 at 5:02 PM

Has anyone here read a book?

It is an object with straight edges made of paper and card with lots of words and sometimes with pictures as well!

All these ideas like .pdf files and wiki's are great but to be honest not much more use than this website (an invaluble reasourse and an amazing place to swap ideas and knowledge) but it is not practical to read on the train/bus/loo/garden/plane/etc (unless you have a pda or laptop with wireless provider - i do but even then i dont just pull out my laptop for a quick read over three stops on the metro!

also printing out pages and pages of info gets both time consuming and costs loads - and who likes having more a4 pages stapled together knoking arround in there bag/home/office than they have allready!

if anyone is interested in contributing to a book (see description above! :biggrin: ) let me know!

oh and by the way i  am not knocking these ideas - the more wki's and .pdfs out there the better as far as i am concerned! knowledge is power and the more people asking quesions and shareing answers the more power we all have!

thanks people!..

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 4:03 PM

If anyone's interested in creating a free collaborative book on Vue, I'll be glad to offer them a free hosting facility and you can use my Hemingway system to create the book.

You can check out a few of the tutorials I've written for Vue using Hemingway. For instance, you can view the "Tire Modelling Tutorial" at:

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/vuelab/MakingaTire-PartITextModel.htm

At the top of that tutorial, is a PDF which was generated directly from the tutorial itself. So, Hemingway renders both web pages and PDF's using the exact same content. The PDF's have the option to use a higher rez version of images, and has a TOC along with some other customizable settings.

Hemingway runs on both Macs and PC's, but the PDF rendering part (used when the website version is done) only runs on PC's. There's also a web version of it.

You can see another Hemingway rendered e-book which in fact describes the process at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MulitiPublishing/default.htm

So, the idea would be to have each user have a different account, which they could then build 'Chapters' then we could collect them and distribute them as a single PDF. Usine a Print On Demand publisher, like CAFE PRESS or other, one could easily purchase fully printed and bound books.

Just an idea.

-Chipp

monkeydesign ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 5:57 PM

thanks for the offer chip!

i also have fee hosting (my design company just brought a new server that we are having installed this week!) but i might be interested in using the hemingway system on another project i am working on - do you have any more info on this / links to documentation etc?

do you own hemingway?

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 5:59 PM · edited Wed, 28 June 2006 at 6:05 PM

Yep, Altuit (my company) owns Hemingway. You're more than welcome to take it for a spin. Check out the links above to the documentation, also the Hemingway Client has direct links in it to docs as well. Hemingway is configured by us as an ASP, which means you have to use it with our servers. Purchasing a license for 1-domain, unlimited webs is $480 per year. To license the server software is more.

You can learn more about Hemingway at:

http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/Hemingway/default.htm

monkeydesign ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 6:06 PM

nice one- i just found the pdf via google!
interesting ill have a reed with a cup of tea later when i get a min!

monkeydesign ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 9:18 AM

chip - i did not see a price - how much is the licence?

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 12:00 PM

monkeydesign,

see my previous post

monkeydesign ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 1:28 PM

BLIND!  - two many hours with no sleap and short deadlines have made me blind to the obvious!

thanks chip!
:)

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 7:24 AM

I remember a few years ago there was rumour of a Vue book. Amazon even listed it - having a future date - which always seemed to get postponed. Then it just disappeared from Amazon.

monkeydesign ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 10:44 AM

i know i have found this - it is even listed on the publishers site but i never found 1 copy -  not even second hand! dont you just hate that - it was the same with swift3d v4 book!

kenmo ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 2:07 PM

I wish there was a Vue book like the one Sue Kitchen did for Bryce....

tradivoro ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 10:27 PM

Quote - I wish there was a Vue book like the one Sue Kitchen did for Bryce....

I second that sentiment... Unfortunately, the one person who could have written that book passed on...

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:51 AM

Sue Kitchen passed away???? I didn't realize that.... Sorry to hear this...

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 1:06 AM

No, Sue Kitchen is still with us... Vue's Sue Kitchen was Guitta Bertaud... she really was the pioneer of Vue... She inspired a lot of people to get into Vue with her knowledge, her tutorials and her works... Unfortunately, Guitta passed away...

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 6:28 AM

The problem you are going to encounter with a collaborative 'book' effort (online or otherwise) is voice; there needs to be one consistent voice throughout, so that the turn of phrase in chapter 1 means the same thing in chapter 19. There's also the grok factor. Someone who 'gets' Vue will tend to gloss over or outright ignore the details that a newbie desperately wants to know, simply because -they- know it; either by long repetition or intuition. Being able to step back from experience and explain can be =hard=. Yes md, I do read books. Lots of them. And write. Needing to have static images of characters and places is what pulled me into CG in the first place. If I had the time I'd jump at the chance, but my beloved 6 day a week dayjob is out to kill me, y'know? Richard Schrand was the intended author of the book that was listed, but health reasons killed that project for him. Gebe may not be here to write it anymore, but it would be so cool to see her name on the dedication plate, wouldn't it...?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.