Tue, Oct 22, 2:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: OT- Anyone use AVG anti-virus software?

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 6:19 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:38 AM

Are you using the free version or the retail? How do you like it and how is it on system resources? I'm about done with Norton. I have Norton internet security 2006 and it just has too much running in the background going on.

Micheál

My Facebook Page

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 6:32 PM

Attached Link: eTrust AntiVirus

If you're looking for an excellent antivirus program, look into e-Trust Anti Virus.  It was known as Innoculate_T at one time but changed it's name. 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Xena ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 7:23 PM

I'll second Acadia's suggestion. I've been using eTrust for about 6 years now and have never had a problem.

prixat ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 7:36 PM

I use AVG on one machine and Avast on another.

Avast is less intrusive but in some reviews it has missed slightly more things than AVG. I settled on Avast for my main machine.

Combined with an occasional online scan from somewhere like Trend Micro and both are a great improvement on Norton.

regards
prixat

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 8:32 PM

Quote - I'll second Acadia's suggestion. I've been using eTrust for about 6 years now and have never had a problem.

Sounds good so far but is eTrust heavy on system resources? This is what stinks about Norton.

My Facebook Page

Xena ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 8:52 PM

Not at all.
I can open Poser, Paint Shop Pro, EditPadLite, Morph Master 4, Outlook and Firefox + have running in the background WindowBlinds, Kerio Personal Firewall, Apache and MySQL and can work happily without any noticable bogging down.
The only time I have to turn it off is to play Red Alert 2 (it's a known issue with ALL antivirus software though).

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 9:11 PM

I have AVG on all my systems and when it starts it's daily scan, Poser drops to a dragging speed and I usually stop the scans. It's great at catching stuff, but if you're looking for something with less drag on the system, I can't say it's a problem when it's not scanning, but when it is it's a CPU hog! So's Poser for that matter, but I use both.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 9:47 PM

Quote - Not at all.
I can open Poser, Paint Shop Pro, EditPadLite, Morph Master 4, Outlook and Firefox + have running in the background WindowBlinds, Kerio Personal Firewall, Apache and MySQL and can work happily without any noticable bogging down.
The only time I have to turn it off is to play Red Alert 2 (it's a known issue with ALL antivirus software though).

One more question please. Do you just have the anti-virus program or the entire internet security suite?

Micheál

My Facebook Page

Xena ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 12:19 AM

Just ezAntivirus.

Mogwa ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 1:08 AM

I've found AVG to be far more dependable than any commercial software. I think it's a great tool.

prixat ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 3:14 AM

Both AVG and Avast include a background scanner, email scanner, browser plugin, scheduled updates and scheduled scans. Avast also has a firewall.

(Though I hate to admit it, the built in firewall in XP is perfectly adequate.)

regards
prixat

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 3:40 AM

I have the purchased version of AVG and IMVHO it is superb. Unlike Mizrael I don't have iit set up to do a daily scan, it's set to do a system scan only daily which takes about 20 secs.

My virus scan I do manually every week and I also do a manual scan with it on each and every down load even though AVG does it in the background anyway.

I find it stable and reliable, no problems with it in the 2 years or so it's been on my system.

I had Nortons before that and had no end of trouble with it, screwed my clock up by 100 years on one update, slowed my entire system down for 3 months on another update, cured when they sent an update for the update if you get me! I will never have Nortons on my machine again, ever!!

The only other AV I would consider would be PCCillin, not sure if I spelt that right. I put this on my Mother-In-Laws machine and it seems to be ok.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 8:59 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'll second Acadia's suggestion. I've been using eTrust for about 6 years now and have never had a problem.

Sounds good so far but is eTrust heavy on system resources? This is what stinks about Norton.

Nope.  I only have 384 MB of SDRam on my desktop and don't have any problems.  I also have the eTrust Firewall too.   That I occasionally shut off if I'm behind my router.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

artnik ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 1:40 PM

I've been using AVG for at least two years. The free version, at that. Daily updates, plus special updates and a lot of other great features, IMO.  I have found it very reliable and dependable. I don't notice any system bog-downs on my new machine (about a year old  -  2+ Gigs) Or my old machine ( 6 years old before it died - only 500 Megs).

ashley9803 ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 1:06 AM

I've used AVG free version for the past 6 months. Only problem I've had was that they were late in providing protection for the Polip virus which lead to me being badly infected a few months ago. Apart from that, It;s been a really reliable program for me.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 3:33 AM

I have been using AVG free version for about 4 yrs now..no bog downs that I can tell.. I got rid of Nortons...everything.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Dizzi ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 7:08 AM

e-Trust? That's one of the worst scanners in all test i've seen lately... Really, don't ask in forums, get some test results...

Xena ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 7:24 AM

I'd think asking people who actually use the software would be the most reliable way to find good honest answers shrug

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 8:04 AM

I used AVG Free for two years and then ponied up for their Security package to replace ZoneAlarm which abandoned my OS (NT 4.0) some time ago. My only complaint about the virus protection is that it is a hog running in the background. But I was running it on a 300MHz machine with 256 Megs of RAM, so I could hardly hold that against it.

The new firewall either had a huge learning curve or some serious problems, I got tired of trying to figure out which. So I went back to ZoneAlarm. I run the AVG virus checker on a 2 a.m. schedule and the email checker in the background, and all's well. And no, I wouldn't think of running P6 on this machine. My P6 machine is networked and firewalled but not connected to the Internet. Which means buying VFB is a charitable contribution....

M

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 8:43 AM

Quote - e-Trust? That's one of the worst scanners in all test i've seen lately... Really, don't ask in forums, get some test results...

Yeah nothing like corporate slanted test results they almost as reliable as the media. It was test results and information from the experts that got me into this beast called Norton Internet security.
No, I do want the prople's opinions. Customer use and opinions are far better test results. IF a corporation puts out a POS of a product the customers will let you know. Not a corporation that's paying for the test results.

Thank  you all for your imput!!!

Micheál

My Facebook Page

Dizzi ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 8:55 AM

Quote - Yeah nothing like corporate slanted test results they almost as reliable as the media.

If you don't know a reliably independent magazine, well, then I can't help you. But relying on other peoples oppinion when they never had an infection, well... I'd rather not get a scanner that finds less than 70% from the wildlist. I'd rather take a scanner that's heavy on resources but really scans the files (not like those scanners Microsoft recommends)... Well, to each his own (virus) :-)

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 9:36 AM · edited Sun, 02 July 2006 at 9:41 AM

Quote - Yeah nothing like corporate slanted test results

:) Still, I want both before I buy. And it's still a crap shoot. A few months ago, I needed a video tool and I was told by someone I trusted to buy QT Pro. Cheap, phenomenal features. I went to Apple's site and on their site found a screed of angry reviews blasting the program! I told my friend and he insisted that he was having none of the problems the reviews reported. I took a deep breath and bought it. And it has worked just fine, except for one little glitch a month ago when it forgot it was activated and I needed to type in the code again.

I trust personal experience, as long as the person has something comparable to my situation. I trust absolutely no reviewers except the rare one I know personally. The entire software industry, including the shills evaluating it, is as corrupt as the totalitarian US government and its louse finch, the media. Expecting the truth from a computer pundit is like looking for love in a brothel.

M

liewald ( ) posted Sun, 02 July 2006 at 10:12 AM

I've been using AVG both personally and professionally for about 4 years.... Works for me!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.