Tue, Oct 22, 1:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Photographing Jewellery: Which camera?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 4:19 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:54 PM

Hi all, My partner needs to shoot some pictures of silver jewellery to a professional standard. We would really like to know which cameras others have used to photograph similar items.  Cheers. Minty.

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 10:07 PM

I use a DSLR, not sure a particular brand to recommend.  To me, the secret is a good macro lens or good closeup capability used with manual focus and precise control of depth of field.  Sometimes, a good closeup, not maco, will make the depth of field more manageable.

With metal, lighting is most important to avoid unwanted reflections and dead spots(black looking reflection).  I used diffused light with sometimes a small light for added effect.  Much has to do with whether a "technical" or "promotional" image is desired.    I am not a pro jewelry photog but have taken many jewelry shots, the great, the good and the ugly!

Sorry, no particular cam recommendations.  I said DSLR (or SLR if you want to burn a lot of film trying) since control is better on dof in my experience with a dedicated lens for the job.

Not the anwer you asked for but my 5 cent worth.     Good wishes.           TomDArt.

Onslow ( ) posted Thu, 13 July 2006 at 12:11 AM

As a general guide:

Low End - E bay, Boot sales etc. -   Probably uses a digital prosumer or entry level DSLR.

Mid Range -  small to medium size business, etc. -  Probably uses mid to high range DSLR.

Top End - Glossy society magazines etc. - Probably use a medium format with digital back.

Which is best for you also depends on your level of skill in using the camera and lights. If an inexperienced user you will get better results with a prosumer cam.

If your main interest is taking the photographs and you have some experience you will get better results with a DSLR

If you are solely interested in the photography and have a high skill level the best results will be obtained using a medium format.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 13 July 2006 at 7:18 AM

Onslow speaks it correctly, in my opinion.  The better prosumer(non DSLR) cams will do a good job with proper set-up and imaging skill.   Some of the fantastic and fine macros on 'rosity are taken with such cameras.  

If you don't find images doing as you want...there is always the option of farming out the photography.  Unfortunately, many pro photographers are nearly as lost in doing jewelry photos as anyone else.    Those who do stuff like eBay shots for a fee might be an option..all depends on where and how the images will be used.

Magazine shots will often use multiple images followed image software to bring the final images to readiness.     That is about the sum of my knowledge at this point. : )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.