Thu, Sep 19, 9:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Protection against insects !!

vlaaitje ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:11 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:33 PM

file_348400.jpg

So far you know I am hunting for insects

and I went often to open fields and near by water.

Just like yesterday.......I took this picture yesterday, a red dragonfly !!!

I am creeping through the bushes......to get a good shot.......

imagine me how I do it?? Hahahaha.....

BUT........Please can somebody tell me what I can do

to protect myself against the damn horseflies!!

Each time when I go out they attack me....

and I can tell you it hurts like hell!!

I use already this DEET and also a spray,

but they sting through my clothes even when I use this.

It is not nice to go out if they buzzing around your ears...

it makes me crazy and angry that they ruine my day!!

I react allergic after a sting.......so yesterday I bin sting twice......

in my right "buttock" not sure if this is the right name for it!!

And in my upper leg.....it is sooo damn red now and hot and swollen....

I have medication "allergic pills" for IT afterwards....

but it is not nice I can tell you.

I am a real nature lover....and I can't without hunting......

I feel unhappy to stay at home just because of that...

but I have no other choice...how sad it is.....

Hope somebody has some suggestions....

BTW I eat garlic....lol.......enough.......

But at least I have some good shots!!!

Ilona

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:37 AM

wowwwwwwwwwwww, I like very much this photo !!!!!!!!

Well, i understand you lady because I have a diseace of my skin and the insect bite me like the moustico, spider and more, i have a big problem for my skin.... I need to search in the pharmacy a product and i put that, is a protection for me, and without that i can to have a grave problem.. Don't worry Lady, you have a very good capture in this one :) When I can, i give you a good product, but my problem is i don't know your products in your country, but i can to ask that 😄

hugs!!

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 7:01 AM

What a great picture Ilona - very good capture !

I can't suggest any insect repellant - sorry.  They all seem pretty ineffectual only lasting a very limted time.

I go looking for butterflies and dragonflies early morning - they are less active then, and so are the biters.   

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 7:10 AM

Ilona, very nice dragonfly photo and the color is quiet pleasing in a soft way.   I have little trouble but do get the bite once in a while. My wife will have multiple bites while I have none!  She must be much more attractive, as must you!    She uses in the USA a deet spray, on the skin and clothing. This will work for a while.   A better answer or solution...that I am sorry not to have for you.

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 7:32 AM

I spend a lot of time hiking around swampland, and know what you mean. Bug bites are aggravating. About the best you can do is applying "a lot"  directly to the skin AND then to your clothing. Be sure to saturate your skin at entry points where bugs can get into your clothing... such as below your pants legs, up your sleeves, down your shirt collar, etc. Use a repellant  that states it has 24 hour protection, although I doubt it really lasts that long. Sweating will lessin it's effect also, so I tend to reapply more than once on a trip.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 7:50 AM

Attached Link: Deerfly Strips

These MIGHT be of use!   Adhesive strips that attract flys and whatnot!  Not  pretty...but better than getting BITTEN and possibly having some kind of allergic reaction...thats for sure! 

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 8:19 AM

Attached Link: DeerFly Strips

Sorry the link is screwed in my post above so here it is again!

vlaaitje ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 8:35 AM · edited Mon, 17 July 2006 at 8:36 AM

L8RDAZE:

mmmmm I read all....it seems to be good, I try to get some here in Holland.

Thanks a lot for the tip...I hope they can't lift off after they land on it!!!

I hope only insects are attracted to the strip**..imagine all men that walks around will sticky on my hat.....haha**

Ilona

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 9:03 AM

First..that's an excellent photo..wonderful details..

About bugs...Don't know if you can get his product over where you are...

It's  called Fly Dope

My grandfather made us wear it when we were kids..It stinks !!! But it works.

If you have a store where they sell supplies for hunting..look there.

Also try looking for natural products, especialy if your skin is sensitive

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 9:36 AM

Het Pushindaders, I use the same!!!

Ilona, is a very good product this one..

" I hope only insects are attracted to the strip***..imagine all men that walks around will sticky on my hat.....haha* "** LOLOLOLOLOL, I'm sure with all men, you don't have one insect to biting you LOLOLOLOLOLOL

hugs

vlaaitje ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 10:06 AM · edited Mon, 17 July 2006 at 10:12 AM

Onslow: me too, but they still sting me...even in the morning.....imagine the buzzing INSECTS  around your head.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr

**TomDart: **Good tip, I use the DEET tonic, no deetspray for the clothes

**FuzzyShadows: I always use my hiking-shoes, and trousers, only shirts sleeveless, I know, but it is to hot to wear in summer. And they sting through the clothes.......so I guess that would not help that much......

**pushinfaders: ******mmmm I can try it BRUCE, better stinks than sting all the time, I can hardly sit now on my butt I can tell.....I must look in a special store me thinks here in Holland. Maybe Danob can look for me in England and bring it over to my place soon, damn I need it !!

And I am sensitive in both ways....skin and as person......

****Valou: haha I guess you are right, NO insects around when all men are sticky at my hat !! But it is a real disaster if you are attractive for insects, men is another case..lol...I have no problems with that, no doubts........

I am just curious how many members are sting all the time......

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 10:39 AM

ahahaha.. good question...

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:01 PM · edited Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:03 PM

" My wife will have multiple bites while I have none! "

It is a sisterhood thing - It is only the female insects that suck blood ! 

It is a fact: before anyone accuses me of not being politically correct

Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:24 PM

One more thought here...don't wear perfume when on an outing  in the woods..bugs like it...

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

vlaaitje ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:58 PM

pushinfaders: O yes I know Bruce....believe me....even hairspray can attract these damn little monsters....maybe I must use "bull-shit" ...forgive me please...

danob ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 5:02 PM

lol No that will attract even more... . I have seen how they go for you on our trips with me a close 2nd, they ignore Ger.. But the Zeet works for me.. I am not sure if you can get medical help for this Ilona maybe some sort of anti toxin will stop you getting your usual allergic reaction

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:39 PM · edited Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:43 PM

I recently attended an emergency first aid course held by the ambulance service. They suggested a product to carry in a first aid kit that is a life saver (literally for severe reactions)  to give to people who suffer an allergic reaction.

I won't give it here because I am not offering medical advice to anyone. Some simple research should reveal what is given to the sufferer of an allergic reaction though.

Edward Lear

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 9:35 PM

Girl strips don't work so well.  Fly strips do ok but should be removed before entering a restaurant.

Girl strips have always had the wrong kind of girl stuck to them and that is a load to carry.

In honesty, for the ankles and perhaps around sock areas, sulfur powder will help keep off some crawly critters.  I wear this when in 'fire ant" territory down in more southern areas.  I don't recommend a sulfur dusting of the body, just the ankles for crawly things.        Tom.

Radlafx ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 10:48 PM

I read somewhere that DEET eats through camera bags (and such). A mosquito can sense your body heat and sweat from a mile away! Its best to wear protective clothing. For protection against the sun. http://www.coolibar.com/ and http://www.sungrubbies.com/BuzzOffFAQ.htm Or better yet.. get dressed into SWAT gear. http://www.lawenforcementconsulting.com/products-reviewed.htm

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 12:05 AM

Love the shot Ilona...sometimes risks come with the good shots.
You will just have to use a heavier clothing when you  go out.
I cannot think of any good repellants, because I have never used them much.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

vlaaitje ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 1:39 AM

Thanks for so many respons here:

Yes Danob, you have seen last year how bad my arm looks like after a sting.....it is no fun at all...you were sting too remember in your leg....but not that bad as me....and ger was the lucky one....

Radlafx: Deet is not nice for a skin me thinks, because some drops fell on my table and I can tell you it burned a hole in my tablecloth....so that says enough how aggressive that stuff can be.......I have no problems when I use it on my skin....but it can't be good for it if I use it daily.....I also use "citronella oil" on my skin.....that's a nature product more for mosquitoes......smells nice so not a problem at all......now I found a link at the web that I can wash my clothes with it ...mmmmm maybe option 2 for me......I didn't know.......Beyond citronella

Tomdart: can you explain me what sulfur powder is....?

Doug: yes that was the only nice thing on my day out that I have some good shots.....

BTW I took that shot after they sting me......and my hubby said, come on Ilona don't stay there!!!!
And I said....to late now.....I am bitten already....so now first my shot......its really true......!!

It goes a bit better now....but yesterday it burned like hell.....so I stay home again today...

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 2:16 AM

I don't know this product...I'm sorry ...

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 8:40 PM

Sulfur powder is simply a powdered form of the mineral sulfur, sometimes spelled sulphur. It is yellow and smells a tiny bit like old eggs.  I don't recommend a body dusting but use on shoes, socks and around ankles. 

Where to get it:  Around here, we go to the pharmacy(drug seller, legal kind!) or apothecary.  Some garden supply businesses may also carry it for use to sprinke around plants.

Using online translator, I got these translations.  I have no clue if correct or incorrect translation!

soufe         schwefel          sulfaro

I hope this helps.  For biting insects, I still use DEET on exposed skin and use a milder form in a spray for all clothing worn on the outing.   Best wishes with you in avoiding the bugs.  I understand exactly what you mean.               Tom.

gradient ( ) posted Sun, 23 July 2006 at 6:12 PM

Agree with Radlafx...be careful with the DEET and some other aerosol products....they can be harmful to plastics....like camera body parts..

My thought....If it's bad for the bugs...it can't be good for us either.

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

vlaaitje ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 12:46 AM

Gradient: I am totally agree with you, I saw with my own eyes when some drops came on my plastic table clothe...it melts right away..so it can't be good for our skin....but I must use something...it is a real disaster if I don't use protection......now I use vitamin B complex from 100 mg......and I use white clothes....and I use a bit deet only on my arms.....not that much.....after it I wash my hands very good...because I know how aggressive it can be for the camera..no doubts.....I went yesterday out....and this time the horseflies leave me alone...and go after my hubby....lol.......the pills give a smell in to your sweat and blood.....that I am not that attractive anymore....hope it will helps..I will find out today.......

this link doesnt work http://www.coolibar.com/ and http://www.sungrubbies.com/BuzzOffFAQ.htm

and that other link....hmmmmmmm..imagine I go in to nature with soldier clothes.....pufffff that must be hot !!!!

vlaaitje ( ) posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 6:06 AM · edited Fri, 28 July 2006 at 6:08 AM

UPDATE HERE: I just want to say that I use now daily the vitamins B complex 100mg
and a bit Deet lotion only on my arms.....but I wash my hands very good afterwards.......because it is sticky and will melt the plastic.....
because my Camera...
and I can tell you the horseflies leave me alone now!!!
They buuzzzing around me, but not sting me....so I hope this protect me now.......
and yes I must admit that I smell it in my own sweat...and also my urine.....lol...
but I don't care...better that..then sting all the time......

Ilona

tofi ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 5:52 AM

Now, on the funny site of this subject...One evening I was sitting with my little daughter by the lake and the mosquitos had a ball-game..She did ask me, why the mosquito are baiting??......I was not prepared for such question from a young mind....so , the first thing came to me and out of my mouth was...because they like blood.... Then, my daughter suggested , to get a little dish with blood and keep it close to us. So the mosquitos will have their dinner and would not bait us..........

A smile is a curve that has set many things straight

Onslow ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 9:54 AM · edited Sun, 30 July 2006 at 9:58 AM

Lovely Mosquito attacking my arm

as quiet & still as a statue.

Stay right where you are I'll do you no harm

I simply want to pat you.

Just puncture my veins & swallow your fill

For nobodies going to swat you.

Lovely mosquito stay perfectly still:

With a swipe & a splat,

I got you !

Ogden Nash

Edward Lear

squirrel2005 ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 2:56 PM

AWWWWWWWWWW! Fantastic Ilona!

People have the right to be stupid. Some people abuse that privilege.
Kim Ch

TomDart ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 8:01 PM

Once I raised a glass to my lips, after sunset in the Florida Keys, Key West to be sure. A bump on the lip..had to be ice.  No, it was a "palmentto bug", something close to a very, very large roach!

No insect control would have stopped that one.   I will not forget it.  Glad I was sipping and not gulping that night.        TomD"Art.

Radlafx ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:15 PM

There is a little fly on my monitor right now flying things are attracted to light. bug zappers don't work! they just attract MORE bugs (because of the ultraviolet light).

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.