Sat, Sep 21, 5:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: FBX import question?

Dennis445 ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 9:12 AM · edited Sat, 24 August 2024 at 7:22 AM

I am trying to import a character that was exported from DAZ Studio in fbx, I have tried v6 and version 5 as well as the three different options for the texture export and it looks like D/S is exporting the textures properly.

I don't seem to have a problem importing the character but I can't get Carrara to import the textures, Does anyone know how to get this to work?

BTW I'm using C5 Pro

whkguamusa ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:35 AM

Carrara FBX import does not support bringing in the textures. It may not trash the UVs so you might be able to reapply the textures once you have it inside of Carrara.

I am not sure if Carrara keeps the UV's from DAZ's flavor of FBX (I don't have the studio plug in).

You should be able to find out by opening the figure in the VM and looking at the UV mapping there.

If it looks like a normal daz texture template then the textures can be put back on.

I would like to find out if it can work this way.

wayne k

Dennis445 ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 8:22 AM

Thank you for the reply,

There are way too many objects (none of them are named properly) to re add the textures by hand, I was hoping that the FBX support in Carrara was more then just for bones. What’s the point of FBX support is it only for animations?

whkguamusa ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 5:45 PM

It does need more work, but there is hope now with the same company now owning both parts of what you want to do.

Let them know over at DAZ.

I've asked and the more requests they get the higher up the priority list it will go.

wayne k

guam usa

Dennis445 ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:19 PM

Ok I will let them know, I am kind of surpriesed at the Carrara FBX import feature it does the bone and the model and from my understanding the whole FBX format is avaliable for developers for free why couldn't they have added texture support this is the second go around for it.

ialora ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 3:44 PM

Yeah, the DS FBX export supports textures, but Carrara Pro 's FBX import apparently does not since it says additive skinning, morph targets, shading, and UV coordinates are not supported.  I would think that Daz will be adding the ability to open DS files directly pretty soon. 

Irene 

Irene-

Dennis445 ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 6:01 PM

I have contacted tech support, maybe I'm just missing a magic button.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.