Tue, Sep 3, 11:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 03 11:15 am)

Subject: texture not showing....?

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 6:42 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

hi all!

for some reason i am having a very basic texturing problem. i go to the material room, click on the doo-dad that i want textured, open an image map, load it and plug it in to the diffuse slot.

it is 1024x1024 but it doesn't come out in my renders at all. it looks like mush, like the texture is too big or too small...i tried reducing and tiling and the other way around, still no go.

is there some sort of button i need to click to get this working? it's a simple texture that won't need tiling and should just show up...it did yesterday, but not today. anybody else have this problem and can help?

Comitted to excellence through art.

Fazzel ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 9:20 PM

You need to tell us more.  What is the doo-dad you are trying to texture?
Has it been UV mapped?  If so does the texture you are trying to apply
correspond to the UV map coordinates of your "doo-dad"?
For example trying to put a Victoria 3 texture on Victoria 2 comes
out a mess because they have different UV coordinates.
You may need to get a template of your "doo-dad" and use
a paint program like Photoshop to make your texture fit.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 10:31 PM

well let me ask, how do you load uv's into poser...because i think that where the problem is. i'm using uv mapper pro so i can map just fine...can't figure out how to load the damn things so that the object can find them!

yesterday or 2 days ago i accidentally made this work......ahhhh, i'm now realizing that i did pre-map it in another program. that's why the map turned out fine...but in this other obj/prop i used a file that had not been mapped. so that's what happened.

i know i looked inside poser for importing uv's but i'm not finding anything obvious. can you tell me how to do this?

thanks

Fazzel ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:42 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think poser imports the *.uvs file itself.  What I meant was you
take the object file itself, the doo-dad.obj file and load it into UV Mapper.  Then in
UV Mapper you assign a UV map to the object. Then you save this new object
file, doo-dad-new.obj.   Then the object file has a UV map assigned to it and
you import the doo-dad-new.obj file into Poser and then go to the material
room and add your texture based on the map you created in UV Mapper.
Keep in mind that the texture has to correspond to the UV map you created
in UV Mapper, ie the right colors have to go in the right grid areas.
That's what I meant about using Photoshop to put the right colors
on the grid pattern, the texture map,  that you can save as a *.jpg file from UV Mapper.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 8:38 AM

yes, that's it fazzel. i'm at work so i'm asking without looking in uv mapper but there is an obvious "assign to" button or something there? and should i get rid of any mtl files that are there just in case before i remap the doo-dad obj, and when i do assign the map to the doo-dad will poser create a mtl file at that point, when the doo-dad is imported into poser?

doo-dad, doo-dad, doo-dad all day looooooooooong!

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 3:20 PM · edited Tue, 25 July 2006 at 3:20 PM

mrpeabody:

The references to the UV settings are (effectively) included in the .obj file. (in the associated .mtl file - I think).
When you use UV mapper and create a UV map, these references will be saved out when you save the object (as long as you have the relevant boxes checked in the save dialogue).
When you load the new object in Poser, all the UV references will be loaded with the object.

It's a very good idea to save the re-mapped object under a different file name, since if you overwrite the original any existing mapping will be lost forever. Of course, since the doo-dad is your own creation, this may not matter. Just bear in mind that the .obj will be changed (and probably the .mtl file as well).

You do not need to save the template as well from UV Mapper, although it's probably a good idea. The template is just a 2D image that can be used as a starting point for creating actual textures (actually it's just a bit-map copy of the graphic that UV mapper displays in the L-Hand pane). But at least it shows you where things sould be put...Load the template into a 2D app and paint over the template...

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Diolma

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.