Sat, Oct 5, 7:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Photoshop running amok

shadowrelm ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 7:57 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 5:25 AM

I am currently using photoshop cs2 and have been for a few months.  recently(as in the last month or so) whenever I run photoshop it freezes up my system.  I go into taskmanager and I can see that it is using 100% of my cpu and is bogging everything down till I cant work with it at all.  It didn't used to do this.  I know you all will want to know the specs of my system so here goes.  I am running a amd athilon 64 fx chip running at 2.8.  I have thought about overclocking it but to date have not done so.  I also have 1 tarabyte of hard drive space and 2gb of ram.  I have a beafy system and I  haven't talked about my graphics engine either.

I don't know what could have happned to make photoshop do this.  I have even went into preferences and changed the available ram to max and went into task manager properties and changed it's priority to low.  No matter what I can do it is still freezing me up to the point I cant even work with photoshop anymore. everything runs so slow and the filters and states take so long to take effect that I get frustrated and just kill it.

has anyone else ever dealt with this and if so how did you fix it?  I am planning an uninstall and reinstall but if I can avoid doing that I would love it.  Any ideas?

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 9:42 AM

Mine did that a while ago ... the only thing I could do was uninstall and reinstall for a clean setup. 

Since CS2 accesses the internet all the time, you might want to clear out your cache and temp files, too.  I do that on a regular basis now (got that little gem from the CS2 forum at Adobe).

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 10:56 PM

if you want to save the "uninstall/reinstall" as the last possible option try tossing out the PREFs (preference) file. usually when PS starts to act "wonky" tossing the file and forcing PS to rebuild a new one fixes up most probs. The files sometimes gets corrupted and can cause a number of unpleasentries!

you can delete it "on the fly" by holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift (MAC: Cmd+Opt+Shift) right after you launch PS. you should be prompted to "delete", let go of the keys and agree. it'll be rebuilt and the factory setting restored.

hope it helps
retrocity

Gongyla ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 4:23 AM

quote: "Since CS2 accesses the internet all the time"

???

I use 7, just got CS2 (not installed yet) but the "workhorse computer" is not in contact with the internet except for the moment of registration of applications. Afterwards it's disconnected from the net. I can't imagine this will be a problem?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.