Tue, Oct 22, 10:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: New freestuff now live :-)

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 4:07 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:02 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13218

Hey all,

the Freestuff conversion is now finished, and we're live on the PHP side.

Remember as I said yesterday, we will be having new categories which we'll gradually place the older stuff into; this will largely mimic the Marketplace and be divided by figures as well as having categories such as dynamic hair, dynamic clothing, Poser 6 materials, etc. But as of right now, we're still going with the old categories.

If you get any bugs or errors in there, please post in the Community Centre forum so the programmers/admins can pick it up, as it's quite late for me and I'm going to bed ;o)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

seattletim ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 6:37 PM

Yeah! And congratulations on not smoking anymore!!!

Thanks for your help with the freebies.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 6:42 PM

Will James be getting Hair or Dynamic clothes catagories anytime soon now that VF is out?

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 12:53 AM

There will be categories for each figure for hair and clothing, and also catch-all Dynamic Hair and Dynamic Clothing categories.

"you are terrifying

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 8:13 AM

Cool! They need to do that in the Market place too. James only has COnforming clothing as a catagory and with VF out I suspect he'll be getting some dynamic outfits soon.

micca ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 2:48 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

your new serch structer needs to go in a new direction it is week and clumsey 3d commune is an example of good sound design this streamline look is just that a good look with very little funtionality sory if i hurt anyones fealings however this is getting silly and i thought rdna had gone silly at least i can find what i am looking for there

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 2:54 PM

Hi micca,

3dcommune's freestuff categories are an exact copy of what the Rendo categories used to be, until yesterday. Hence, not exactly up to date, since they were created in something like 2002.

The changes here were made after extensive feedback from members and badgering of the programming team by me, heheh.

Can you expand on what functionality you are looking for?

"you are terrifying

Guida ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 4:21 PM

karen,
On the second page of the What's New in freestuff, there's a thumbnail too big, you can't see the download buttons: Sigpack 01Requires Site Registration_all in German. (I'm using firefox)
I wish the commercial or non commercial saying was like before and not in details, saves some time :-P
And i wish the buttons were links, and they didn't open a new blank window when the download refers directly to a file and not a site, but that's just me ranting already :D

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 5:48 PM

Hi Guida,

Can you screenshot me what you're seeing with the big thumbnail, please? I'm seeing the download buttons below the thumb (in Firefox) so I'll need to pass this to the programmers to take a look.

Unfortunately we cannot have the downloads as link text becuase when we did, we got hit to death with robots just downloading the whole site and crashing the servers. We went to download buttons, oooh, about 3 or 4 years ago I think. I agree it's a pain in the neck, I wish we could have text links too :glare:

"you are terrifying

Guida ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 7:01 PM

file_350692.jpg

Here you go Karen :) Note that since some more items were added, the buttons can actually be seen but "out" of the page if that makes sense, but before this the thumbnail of the product right below this one would cover the buttons. Hope this helps :)

grylin ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 7:37 PM

hmm i hope the freestuff section gets done soon. i cant find what im lookin for yet:( i liked it the *old * way:P but im sure it will look good:D

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 1:24 AM

Ahh, thanks Guida. I think it's depending on which items are on the page, whether it gets pushed down or not. I'll raise this to the programmers.

grylin, what are you looking for? The search function works a lot better now and will still pull up everything irregardless of whether we've recategorised it or not.

"you are terrifying

micca ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 3:51 AM

what i am looking for is the ability to type cat in the serch and find every cat in your data bace the way it was i dont want to be asked the month and year of the archive to be serched rember the kiss system it works thankyou for your reply

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 1:43 PM

karen, it appears the thumbs are filtered, based on nudity. do users (e.g. me) have an option somewhere to allow nudity in freestuff thumbs? I don't need to see 'em, but it piques one's curiosity, I'll admit :lol:

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 3:11 PM

It's not in a obvious place.

Click on "my freestuff", then on "my settings"

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 3:43 PM

thx, noel. I knew it hadda be in there somewhere.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 4:41 PM

Quote - thx, noel. I knew it hadda be in there somewhere.

I had to ask where it was, as I'd never have looked under "my freestuff" because I don't have any.

odeathoflife ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 12:40 AM

The next/previous arrows (<<  <  &  >  >>) are too small and I am at a desktop with a mouse I can imagine what the laptop users are thinking...maybe up them a size or two?

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 5:26 AM · edited Sat, 12 August 2006 at 5:45 AM

file_350820.gif

> Quote - what i am looking for is the ability to type cat in the serch and find every cat in your data bace the way it was i dont want to be asked the month and year of the archive to be serched rember the kiss system it works thankyou for your reply

See attached diagram :-)

1. Enter search keyword
  2. Click "Within last 5000 days" to search the lot, or specify a narrower time window. (This was updated last night I believe by the programmers)
  3. Select a spcific section if you like. Be warned that until we have finished recategorising Poser, you're better off just leaving it open to Poser rather than Poser>Animals for example.
  4. Click Search button

I found 39 entries on this keyword :-)

"you are terrifying

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 5:27 AM

odeathoflife, I will bring that up as a request.

"you are terrifying

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 11:23 AM

Old free stuff opened a new broswer window for each free item accessed.  New free stuff reuses the same (named) browser window for each and every item.  Can the old method be retorfitted to new free stuff please?  Else 1 slow/busy freestuff provider's site holds up all exploration of teh rest of free stuff.

TIA.

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 11:30 AM

Hi layingback,

I'm getting a new browser window for each time I press the download button. That's not happening for you? what browser are you using please?

"you are terrifying

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 12:10 PM

Karen,

Mozilla 1.7.13.  Also get same result in Firefox...

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 12:58 PM

Are you using any pop up blockers at all?

"you are terrifying

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 1:00 PM

The behaviour is adjustable, goto Edit | Preferences | Navigator | Tabbed Browsing and choose a different option for "Link open behavior".

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 2:32 PM

Karen,  No.

nrudduck, What's Tab Browsing got to do with it?

Refer back to initial message please:

Until new freestuff was implemented it was possible (using my current Mozilla & Mozilla Firefox browsers - with their still current settings) to click on more than 1 Free Stuff Download link.  The result was a number of site- (or blank bot-prevention- ) windows opening, and EACH DOWNLOAD PROCEEDING IN PARALLEL.

With new Free Stuff it is not advisable to click on a second Download link, deliberatelyu or even accidentally, as the 2nd download will open into the exact same new browser window as the 1st one.  And thereby overwirting and interrupting any activity stemming from the 1st site.

I believe that old Free Stuff used a generic form of thye NewWindow command (e.g. Target="_blank" or similar) which lets the browser handle the new window naming and allocation.  The new Free Stuff is using a specific name for the new window, and then uses that same name for each subsequent download link, forcing the browser to overwrite the first download site.  If as Karen reports the problem does not occur on her browser, then my hunch is that she uses a version of IE, and new Free Stuff is using an IE-specific extension of W3C HTML...

This new approach does reduce teh number of windows open (to a max of 2), but is way less flexible and versatile.  So I was merely wondering if the "old" functionality - or it's equivalent - could be put back.

And for the record, I was only trying to help ouyt the developemnt process.  I hardly come here to assist and learn from others anymore - since the "new PHP" version - it's imply too hard to use IMHO, as it kills the fun when it a) slows my browser to a crawl at times, b) locks it for seconds at a time periodically, c) crashes it, and d) disables the Back button (which incidently it did NOT do until the fix for the disabled Back button was implemented!!!).  None of teh above happens with ANY other website, nor did it with old-style Renderosity.

TIA
p.s.  I do wish spellchecker still worked on Mozilla+Renderosity, but alas the right-click in this FckEditor (that's its name, not a reflection on its feature set ;-) in Renderosity's implementation is usurped to only allow/provide Cut, Copy, and Paste (which I never use, Ctrl-C, etc., being so much quicker) rather than my personal default  browser settings which offers me a spellchecker and so much more (in addition to Cut, Copy and Paste!).  So in the meantime speeling errors will persist until normal service can resume :-O

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 3:08 PM

Hmmm. Very strange. I'm using Firefox too, so I'm not sure why this is happening for you.
I'm going to point this to our programmer and see if he can understand why this happens.

"you are terrifying

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 3:55 PM

Hmm, I too am confused.

I'm using latest Mozilla, but an early version of Firefox, so I downloaded FF 1.5.0.6, and installed on a system which had never had a previous FF install.  Leaving everything at default, and using no proxies, no blockers, no special settings, nothing, I logged into R'osity and clicked on wolmol's Delivery Truck:  a winodw opened and displayed www.poseatier.com.  Without touching  the download window I then went back to R'osity free stuff and clicked on EvilInnocence's Short Dress Textures:  www.evilinnocence.com appeared in the SAME window as, and thus overwrote, www.poseatier.com.  To confirm this I clicked the Back button on the window displaying www.poseatier.com, and www.evilinnocence.com appeared.

With "old" style Free Stuff I would have had a total of 3 windows open after performing the same steps:  R'osity Free Stuff, www.poseatier.com and www.evilinnocence.com  (and teh Back buttom would have been greyed out on both of them).

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 3:56 PM

file_350859.jpg

> Quote - nruddock, What's Tab Browsing got to do with it?

There are options to control what happens when a new window is requested.
The one show in the picture, always opens a new tab (i.e. no reuse).

It's probably the only workaround until (if ever) the FreeStuff gets adjusted.

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 4:04 PM

nrudduck,

Thanks for clarifying.  I realise that that workaround will work for FireFox, but alas not for Mozilla.

The real fix is in the hands of Renderosity's programmer...

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 4:05 PM

OK, I have posted to the programmer so perhaps he can shed some light.

"you are terrifying

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 8:47 PM

Sorry, I didn't realise that option was only available in SeaMonkey (the Mozilla replacement).
There have been quite a few critical fixes that are only available in SeaMonkey (since Mozilla 1.7.13, the last version before it became unsupported).

micca ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2006 at 4:47 AM

now we are cooking with gas thankyou for the quick responce fast and clean

esha ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2006 at 10:28 AM

Hm. Well, things do have to change from time to time, don't they? But at least I was hoping the new version would bring some improvement. As it is now, I fail to see any improvement. :(

Here some issues I noted:

If you have specified a filter by category it is impossible to switch back to "Search everywhere". You have to close the browser window to reset it.

It isn't possible anymore to search only for freebies which can be used for commercial renders. That is an option I really miss.

The old layout showed directly under the thumbnail if the freebie was for commercial use, too, or only for personal use. Now you have to click the "Details" button to check. This is very tiresome.

Any chance to get these issues fixed? 

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2006 at 2:44 PM

Hi esha, I will mention these to the programmer and see if we can get these options added :-)

"you are terrifying

Byrdie ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2006 at 3:03 PM

Yes, please. Those are the very reasons I said that searching the Freebies was now a nightmare.  Hope they can fix it.

kamion ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2006 at 3:03 AM

nice new layout

but the number of thumbless items has in creased

and it would be nicer if there were new free items.

the last four day nothing was added.

mosttime is an average of 5 new items aday.

what happened?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 1:39 PM

Hi..

Its running for a while now ..but when does the top 50 short term go online ? thats still not working.

And is it not a good idea when it goes online to make it a month in stead of 15 days ?

15 days is so short and almost everything else on the site runs for a month contests MoM AOM etc etc..

And the difference to the ALL time and the other being just 15 days is a bit Big ...

GreetZ

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 5:48 PM

Sorry guys, I moved house and nobody else was checking the new items. I have just approved a big bundle.

Chris, I'm not sure what you mean about "15 days"? You mean for the Top 50 thing? I don't know who decided that, I think a lot of things have gone off while I was incommunicado. I'll ask in the staff room...

"you are terrifying

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 5:57 PM

Well it says : Recent top contributors are listed according to users whose items were downloaded most in the last 15 days.

And i think 15 days is a bit short ..why not 1 month like all the other things on the site..

And i still think RO is doing way to little forthe freestuff providers..

But when i see ADS for this site the huge amount of freestuff i mentioned as a BIG plus for the site..

But every time i do a sugestion..freebee showcase in galleries , Credits for the FS providers in galleries etc etc i just hear NO ... well i read No actualy ... i wonder what whould happen if ALL the freestuff providers take there stuff offline here ... i think the site goes down like a rock..

Give them more credit they are a big, real big part why people come here..

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.